Themed Geocache Ideas?

Tatersaurus

I'm fairly new to geocaching, so I still have a lot to learn, but I got an idea of how to make my first geocache. However, I kind of want to get opinions on it before starting on it because I want to make sure that it's not breaking any rules or anything.

My idea is to make a geocache with a specific theme. It will be like a traditional geocache, but with items, environment, and/or container that relates to the theme.

For example, I just thought of a Pokemon theme. I'll probably title it something like "Gotta Cache 'Em All!" and I will hide the container in an abandoned field I found with tall grass and trees. For those who are unfamiliar with the Pokemon games, most pokemon can usually be found, battled, and caught in tall grass areas, which is why I plan on putting the cache near there. Also, the cache will probably be small or medium sized with a log and pokemon related trinkets inside (crafts, art, toys, trading cards, etc.). Also, if someone wants to take a pokemon item, they can make a trade like usual, but I would probably leave a note in there to encourage geocachers to stay within the theme if possible when trading items, but it's not absolutely required (for example, if someone takes a small pokemon plush, they can replace it with a pokemon figurine of equal or greater value.If not, any other item is fine too.) Also, I will check on the cache and maintain it whenever I can and make sure that there's at least one item in the cache relevant to the theme. If not, I'll get one of my own pokemon items or crafts and place it in the cache.

I have other theme ideas too, but this one was one of my favorites. So what do you think? Should I give this a try?

I'm fairly new to geocaching, so I still have a lot to learn, but I got an idea of how to make my first geocache. However, I kind of want to get opinions on it before starting on it because I want to make sure that it's not breaking any rules or anything.

My idea is to make a geocache with a specific theme. It will be like a traditional geocache, but with items, environment, and/or container that relates to the theme.

For example, I just thought of a Pokemon theme. I'll probably title it something like "Gotta Cache 'Em All!" and I will hide the container in an abandoned field I found with tall grass and trees. For those who are unfamiliar with the Pokemon games, most pokemon can usually be found, battled, and caught in tall grass areas, which is why I plan on putting the cache near there. Also, the cache will probably be small or medium sized with a log and pokemon related trinkets inside (crafts, art, toys, trading cards, etc.). Also, if someone wants to take a pokemon item, they can make a trade like usual, but I would probably leave a note in there to encourage geocachers to stay within the theme if possible when trading items, but it's not absolutely required (for example, if someone takes a small pokemon plush, they can replace it with a pokemon figurine of equal or greater value.If not, any other item is fine too.) Also, I will check on the cache and maintain it whenever I can and make sure that there's at least one item in the cache relevant to the theme. If not, I'll get one of my own pokemon items or crafts and place it in the cache.

I have other theme ideas too, but this one was one of my favorites. So what do you think? Should I give this a try?

Sounds great, especially all the effort you are willing to put into it to keep the contents replenished with theme items. Expect that most people will not follow the theme but will appreciate it anyway. Be sure to use a good quality container. Since paper cards will be a regular item in the cache you want something that should stay water tight. Maybe even a water tight container within a water tight container. A small lock & lock for the cards inside a larger lock & lock. Or use an ammo can if you can get your hands on one. In my area they are rare and somewhat pricey so I use authentic (not dollar store) Lock & Locks - look for the Lock & Lock logo on the lid.

I always appreciate it when a cache is based on a theme and it usually indicates that the CO is trying to put a little thought into the cache rather than just putting something out to increase the numbers for others.

Keep in mind that while you might start out with Pokemon related trading items it might not take long for those item to get traded for items which don't follow the theme.

Something many do is create a series of caches based on a common theme (for example, you might create different caches based on the different pokemon characters). If you do that, though, the more you can make each cache follow the theme the better, IMHO, it is. There are a lot of cache series that just feel contrived because the only thing that they might have in common is the title of the cache follows a theme and it comes across just as an excuse to place a bunch of caches.

When creating a cache based on a theme try to use as many of the aspects of the cache as you can. For example, I have a cache that I placed on Easter several years ago. It's called Briar Patch. It's located behind a business (with permission) of the same name and the cache description is about Bre'r Rabbit. The container and hide location follow the theme as well (you'd have to find the cache to see how well it fits) When I first placed it the actual container was in a plastic egg.

Go for it. It's a good idea. A couple of things to keep in mind. People are going to find it regardless of weather or not they choose to follow the theme. So keeping an eye on the swag and keeping it stocked will be important. Do your self a favor and choose a good water tight container. Nothing worse than a cache full of floating swag. Good luck.