Did not find - found it?

and_Janine

I went out today and did not find the cache I was looking for and logged it as so.

I was wondering if I decide to go looking for it again and then, if I find it, log it as found?

Yes, if you search for it again and find it, then you log it as "found" on that day.

Different day, different end result, different log.

Some of us search for a cache more than once, don't find it more than once, and log each one as its own "dnf". My record for one cache is 3 attempts = 3 dnf logs.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Yes. Log it as found when you actually locate it and sign the log. The first attempt you made on it resulted in a did not find and you logged it as such. Exactly correct! Reporting DNF's to cache owners is important. It's possible the cache has gone missing and, once the owner sees the DNF's adding up, he/she will investigate.

Thanks for the replies.

I have another question, what about re-finding a cache? For instance if I want to drop off a trackable in a cache I've found in the past. Or is there a way to log dropping off a trackable without having to log a find? Or even if I see there's a trackable in the inventory and want to go and retrieve it?

Thanks for the replies.

I have another question, what about re-finding a cache? For instance if I want to drop off a trackable in a cache I've found in the past. Or is there a way to log dropping off a trackable without having to log a find? Or even if I see there's a trackable in the inventory and want to go and retrieve it?

From the Help Center:

You can revisit a geocache you've already found to pick up or drop a Trackable. It's okay to drop and pick up Trackables from geocaches you own. Log your visit as a note.

Link for reference:

Trackable Etiquette

Yes. Log it as found when you actually locate it and sign the log. The first attempt you made on it resulted in a did not find and you logged it as such. Exactly correct! Reporting DNF's to cache owners is important. It's possible the cache has gone missing and, once the owner sees the DNF's adding up, he/she SHOULD investigate.

Fixed it for ya. :D

Edited by Chief301