Longest slump between caching?

MamaKatS

I had a three-week (approx) slump in February, where between "Life" and "Weather" I couldn't cache at all. Went caching like ONCE.... and here it is, the very end of March, and I haven't been caching since. Severe thunderstorms kept me cooped up all last weekend. Thinking that this coming Sunday afternoon (possibly a quick cache or two Saturday a.m.) will be my best bet for escaping! If I'm cooped up inside much longer, I think I will offiically finish going completely insane, LOL!

/End rant

So...what's the longest slump you've had between caching? :)

So...what's the longest slump you've had between caching?

From my gsak stats:

Most consecutive days without a find: 2,698, from 03/25/2002 to 08/12/2009

And if I recall a similar thread correctly, I do NOT hold the record!

LOL OK, I feel better now. :)

I went 3 months with 3 events attended, no caches found. 2 of the events were mine. The funny thing was that I'd adopted one of them from someone who was having some physical problems and figured that they couldn't handle hosting.

Not that I handled it, I just shamelessly posted a pic of me on crutches to the page and made the event, Bring Yer Own Everything...;-)

According to GSAK my "most consecutive days without a find" is 60. That timeframe occurred just after I got my 1000th find and I essentially changed my approach to geocaching such that it was much less "about the numbers". In the first three years of geocaching I averaged 20, 37, and 21 finds per month. Since I hit 1000 I've averaged about 4.5 finds per month.

Most of my caching is done on the weekends so I can go with the family. However, since I'm a shiftworker, I work every other weekend, so I don't cache on those weekends. If we happen to miss out on caching on my "off" weekend, due to weather or other plans, then I will sometimes go a month without caching.

I will sometimes do some solo caching on the weekdays, but only if I happen to be on some other errand that takes me into new caching territory. However, since my map is all "Smilies" within about a 30 mile radius of home, that's getting less and less common :)

I had open heart surgery the 15th of November. Then the wife had a mild stroke that affected her vision and balance. The weather here has been raining most of the time. (PNW) We did find 5 yesterday, which is about all we can tackle right now. We are retired and like to travel to a city and stay for two nights and three days and doing the local caches. Maybe this summer we will be able to do that. Dick and Arlene

... However, since my map is all "Smilies" within about a 30 mile radius of home, that's getting less and less common :)

That sucks! My radius is only about 5km, but there are some new ones a few DNFs in there that I can look for.

We are very rural and don't have a very large caching community here locally, so it didn't take long for me to clear out all the caches around here, and new ones are fairly infrequent. I do still have one DNF locally, but I've been out there twice already and the place is basically a trash dump, so I'm not really concerned about going after that one again.

Still, a 30 to 45 minute drive in just about any direction will put me in a new area with a pretty good concentration of caches. It just means that for us anyway, caching almost always means you need at least a half a day free and gas money for a road trip.

I have one find some time in 2002 or 2003. Don't have an account then, never logged it, don't even know what the GC# is now - cache was long archived. Didn't find another cache until late 2008. Even if I had logged it, still would not be as long a slump as GeoGeeBee :)

Since I created my account, my longest slump is 5 days. But if you're going by average caches / day, it's right now - about 1/3 my average rate.

I haven't worked it out in actual days, but in 2008 we only did 17 the whole year and 12 of those were during a weeks canal boat holiday.

The reason ....... It rained . . . . Ok it didn't rain the whole year, but whenever we mentioned caching or even looked at the website the heavens opened, and we DON'T set off caching in the rain :unsure:

So...what's the longest slump you've had between caching?

From my gsak stats:

Most consecutive days without a find: 2,698, from 03/25/2002 to 08/12/2009

And if I recall a similar thread correctly, I do NOT hold the record!

There's a guy in my area (don't know him) who apparently went from 21 August 2001 to 20 September 2008 without finding a cache. That appears to be about 100 days short of you, so I won't link to him or anything.

My longest slump is 15 days in 2004. Not to toot my own horn, but I think that's pretty good for someone who started in 2003. :D

11 days, happened during the first big chill of December. Didn't even want to go outside to save my life better yet find a cache. I'm pleased that I recently had an 11 day streak.

Same here! I got sick of going out after caches in the snow only to find they were near impossible to find in the snow. I broke my slump by going on a trip to sunny San Antonio, TX :laughing:

Most consecutive days without a find: 44, from 10/11/2010 to 11/23/2010

Second most consecutive days withouta find: 44, 08/24/2010 to 10/10/10

My ship was deployed this past summer. However I did manage to find three (3!) caches while on liberty. One in Costa Rica, one in Cuba and one in Colombia.

And I did wait almost two weeks after I got home to caching...

17 days, due to a field exercise (in lovely Grafenwoehr). I went out the night before we left for the field exercise and got two caches, and I went out the day after I got back.

I deployed prior to geocaching, so I didn't miss out on it then. While there are a decent number opf caches in Iraq and Afghanistan, I imagine if I have the opportunity to deploy again, caching will be an occasional treat and not a regular experience, and my slump will lengthen accordingly.

Longest Slump 45 consecutive days without a find from 01/23/2011 to 03/09/2011

On Jan. 25th I had a total knee replacement on the right knee.

The second longest slump would have been last March/April, when I had the left knee replaced. Only four week slump that time. :)

Now that my new knees are healing and I'm getting some strength back in my legs, I expect to have some days with more caches than I've been able to do before. (the most in a day for me was 10)

One interesting thing I noticed when checking my stat.s. It says I am most likely to cache on Saturday. Seems odd, as I am retired and try to get my caching done during the week, while most people are in school or working. :blink:

I went from March 03 to Nov. 07, then from Nov. 07 to April 11 without finding one.

Our older daughter start playing travel softball, and we had another baby during that time... That baby is now five and has 4 caches to her name... She's asked all day if we can go again so, HackAttack has been online looking for a GPSs for her and I. (I'm not good with sharing...)

48 consecutive days without a find from 11/15/2010 to 01/02/2011. The next longest was the prior year--two years in a row with no finds in Dec. No reason why, other than that tends to be the coldest and snowiest month in the Treasure Valley of Idaho. At least, that seems to be the case since I moved here 3 years ago.

BUT!!! I am now driven to fill in all the dates that I haven't found a cache, so Dec. has a lot of open dates. And, with roughly 600 within 10 miles, I have plenty to chose from. If only I could get comfortable with finding those in someone's front yard <_<

I had a three-week (approx) slump in February, where between "Life" and "Weather" I couldn't cache at all. Went caching like ONCE.... and here it is, the very end of March, and I haven't been caching since. Severe thunderstorms kept me cooped up all last weekend. Thinking that this coming Sunday afternoon (possibly a quick cache or two Saturday a.m.) will be my best bet for escaping! If I'm cooped up inside much longer, I think I will offiically finish going completely insane, LOL!

/End rant

So...what's the longest slump you've had between caching? :)

I first discovered geocaching while on an army land navigation course. I liked it and then found myself with other priorities. I know, a lame excuse. :lol:

Anyway, 569 days without a find is my shame.