Disabling

How long can a cache be disabled for? I need to be away for a few months due to family matters and I may need to disable some of my caches in the meantime. What length of time can i do this for without having to archive them?

Edited by diddydoit

It depends. As long as you communicate with your reviewer (give clear information in the Temporary Disable log, occasionally post a note with updates), you should be fine.

There are caches I've seen that are disabled during the winter months, being under water in Ontario. :) So a cache can be disabled for longer than a month with reasons. But a "regular" cache where the CO gives no information? The reviewer would question that sooner. :)

Sorta agree with Viajero Perdido, if it's not gonna be "forever", and you've had good luck with your quality containers (and people...), temp disable your caches if a problem arises while you're gone.

I sometimes take a month or better for vacation.

Friends/family know, and if an issue comes up, they'll try to handle it for me.

If they can't, then I'd temp disable, explaining why.

Hasn't happened yet...

Others have already said pretty much the same thing, but I had one of my caches disabled for several months when the site was unavailable due to construction. Construction delays postponed the re-enabling, and then unexpected changes to the site postponed the re-enabling again when I had to rework the camouflage. I got a couple "reminders" from a local volunteer reviewer, but I just needed to post notes explaining the current situation. It can be done if necessary.

Others have already said pretty much the same thing, but I had one of my caches disabled for several months when the site was unavailable due to construction. Construction delays postponed the re-enabling, and then unexpected changes to the site postponed the re-enabling again when I had to rework the camouflage. I got a couple "reminders" from a local volunteer reviewer, but I just needed to post notes explaining the current situation. It can be done if necessary.

Exactly Darin. A proactive / responsible / whatever word CO will prevent almost all he issues beingbantred abou in these forum threads.

How long can a cache be disabled for?

If you are a reviewer, you get special treatment and can disable your cache for eleven years. :rolleyes:

It's gonna happen, man. Someday.

It's such a joke. If it wasn't a reviewer's cache, it would have died within 60 days. There are several caches in GA that have been disabled for YEARS, but because they are owned by reviewers, they are allowed to stay perpetually disabled on some faint hope that they'll be allowed some day. The problem is there are no actual caches at these locations...so these listings are essentially permanent placeholders so that if the NPS ever allows caches in these areas, the COs will have first dibs...with the benefit being the COs (and finders) can CLAIM these are super old caches even though they are technically brand new - new containers, new logs.

If you are a reviewer, you get special treatment and can disable your cache for eleven years. :rolleyes:

I just marked it NA ... using the old log page of course ;-)

Seems like I'm not the 1st so if I had to bet $1, I'd say the NA entry gets deleted.

wee-ooo, wee-ooo, wee-ooo

ab65d6b2-3e56-48d9-89f1-7cbcf432e8f0.jpg

I just marked it NA ... using the old log page of course ;-)

Seems like I'm not the 1st so if I had to bet $1, I'd say the NA entry gets deleted.

Start logging finds... that'll teach them! :grin:

There are 3 in that area owned by the same cacher...