New GPS

Shadow Wolves

Hi,

I am a premium member and had to buyy a new GPS.

I have the magellan explorist GC. I seem to be having troubles downloading all the caches that come with being a premium member as well as getting the time/date set properly on my GPS. any one have any insight?

Thanks

Shadow Wolf

First off deleted everything in the GPS.

Second is it just PMO caches or is it all caches you're having issues with? If it's just PMO caches, following my first advice should help.

You are suggesting to delete what came installed on my GPS?

How do I do that?

What is PMO?

I seem not to know how to do this.

Thanks

Hi,

I am a premium member and had to buyy a new GPS.

I have the magellan explorist GC. I seem to be having troubles downloading all the caches that come with being a premium member as well as getting the time/date set properly on my GPS. any one have any insight?

Thanks

Shadow Wolf

First off deleted everything in the GPS.

Second is it just PMO caches or is it all caches you're having issues with? If it's just PMO caches, following my first advice should help.

It might be just me, but it seems a bit drastic to start off with clearing your GPSr's memory. Was this a brand-new unit that you purchased, or was it pre-owned? If pre-owned, then the prior owner might've loaded some things on there and so deleting would make sense.

However, I think we might want to back up a bit and understand how you're "downloading" geocaches to your GPSr. Are you running a pocket query (PQ) on the geocaching.com website and then transferring the unzipped .gpx files to your GPSr? Are you doing something different? There is another helpful cacher on this forum that owns an explorist that will likely have comments to add.

It might be just me, but it seems a bit drastic to start off with clearing your GPSr's memory. Was this a brand-new unit that you purchased, or was it pre-owned? If pre-owned, then the prior owner might've loaded some things on there and so deleting would make sense.

However, I think we might want to back up a bit and understand how you're "downloading" geocaches to your GPSr. Are you running a pocket query (PQ) on the geocaching.com website and then transferring the unzipped .gpx files to your GPSr? Are you doing something different? There is another helpful cacher on this forum that owns an explorist that will likely have comments to add.

The explorist comes with cache pre-loaded. Those are out of date. But it also affects the GPS when you're a premium member. Any caches loaded as a basic member will for some reason not allow premium member benefits, so all those have to be deleted.

The explorist comes with cache pre-loaded. Those are out of date. But it also affects the GPS when you're a premium member. Any caches loaded as a basic member will for some reason not allow premium member benefits, so all those have to be deleted.

Ahh, good to know.

I guess I just don't recall at all how to do the downloads. It has been years since I needed too. I bought the GPS new.

Either I am making this more difficult than it appears or this is not straight forward. Appreciate the feedback.

For my eXplorist, I run a PQ, then download the ZIP file, then open the ZIP file to get the GPX files, then copy the GPX files to the eXplorist (as if it were a USB flash drive).

I am not sure why I am not getting this to work. I can't even get my GPS to recognize my location, update to the proper time, date, etc

Help!!!

I am not having any luck getting my new GPS to update my location, date, time, etc.

I can't figure out how to load caches either. I have a premium membership and I do not recall have issues with my last GPS. When I try to download (send to GPS) caches, the links "CHECK DEVICE" and "DOWNLOAD" do not work, are inactive.

Anyone know how I can get back in the action and get my new GPS working??

Thanks

I am not sure why I am not getting this to work. I can't even get my GPS to recognize my location, update to the proper time, date, etc

Help!!!

You might need to let the gps find where it is located. Turn it on, set it outside and leave it alone for a while.

The owner's manual is very in-depth. For example, pages 20 and 21 go through the steps to set "Date and Time Options".

http://support.magellangps.com/support/assets/manuals/Magellan_eXploristGC_UserHandbook.pdf

The other area where you might want to add details is your profile page:

https://www.geocaching.com/account/settings/profile

B.

There's some helpful links and information in thos thread. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=336125&pid=5550150&st=0entry5550150

I hope this link works from my tablet.

Which is the duplicate thread the OP started, asking for basically the same help.

B.

Yes it is. That was my roundabout was to get the OP back to his original thread..... Where, in the parlance of Perry Mason, "Asked amd answered".