String

I would probably go with braided fishing line for what I think you are asking. It is a bit expensive but I use it for fishing so taking a few feet off doesn't matter. I am guessing this will be down a pipe or something. If used for a pulley system up a tree or something I would go with something thicker. My concern for something thin and not very visible out in the open like that maybe a bird or something will get tangled in it. That is probably me just being paranoid though.

well thanks for all the ideas. yes it is down a pipe at a dog park. For one of the agility objects there. I need something to withstand it and not to obvious. Great ideas

I use paracord for just about everything I need to hang, suspend or tie up. Here is some basic info.

Paracord is a highly versatile multi-filament nylon cord with nearly unlimited uses, applications and benefits, and is a must have for any survival and emergency preparedness kit.

Real paracord is made of seven strong nylon cords with each cord made of several smaller woven strands, all wrapped in a flexible outer braided nylon wrapper. The combined breaking strength of real paracord is 550 pounds. For this reason, some call it “550 cord”.

The cord comes in a variety of colors and lengths (when cut, the ends should be burned or singed to prevent fraying). The inner strands can be easily pulled out for many additional uses.

The 5 Benefits of Paracord

Strength (In just a 1/8 inch diameter cord, an incredible breaking strength of 550 lbs.)

Durability (It can be used over and over again while remaining flexible and durable)

Light Weight (The Mil specification requires that 225 feet of cord weigh 1 pound or less)

Water and Mildew Resistant (Outside elements are not a problem and it will dry very quickly)

Inner Strands (The unique ability to remove the inner strands make this cord extremely versatile)