Ammo boxes should be banned

Ammo boxes can easily be mistaken as terrorist bombs, etc. They can get rusty and cut your fingers up, and they smell funny sometimes, I think the smell might be toxic or something. This one time a kid found an ammo box and decided to use ammo for other purposes, and this is no good! I also hear that sometimes potheads use ammoboxes to store their weed and that isn't good either because somebody might put weed in a geocache and then kids could also find that, which would be bad because the kids should be out finding regular geocaches, the good kind in tupperware, because those are nice.

We don'd need stinky metal boxes stinking up the game, let's stick with tupperware, its what works and it doesn't leak at all.

Buying ammo cans for geocaches means they can't re-use them for ammo. So they have to make more. But they need to put something in the ammo cans, so they put ammo in them. They have to sell all of that to make money, so ammo is purchased and could be used by a terrorist, or crazy gunman. Hide nano's not ammo cans, and save lives!

Edited by T.D.M.22

I'm serious about this, I stubbed my toe on an ammo can and it made me decide to only use tupperware.

Also, green is a boring color.

Good idea, because hot pink tupperware hiding in the woods makes geocacheing much more interesting by standing out among the green leaves. Could we also get rid of the rocks and tree roots while we are at it? I have a tendency to fall over those too.

Can anybody here actually afford to buy Tupperware* for their cache containers? For that matter, has anybody here ever found Tupperware in the woods? I know I haven't. :unsure:

*Tupperware

Our first woods hides were Tupperware. Many of our first finds were Tupperware.

Lock n Lock either wasn't around then, or few knew of them.

Every one of our large Tupperware containers got moldy within a year.

- We went to those horrible ammo cans and haven't had any problems since.

Ammo boxes can easily be mistaken as terrorist bombs, etc. They can get rusty and cut your fingers up, and they smell funny sometimes, I think the smell might be toxic or something. This one time a kid found an ammo box and decided to use ammo for other purposes, and this is no good! I also hear that sometimes potheads use ammoboxes to store their weed and that isn't good either because somebody might put weed in a geocache and then kids could also find that, which would be bad because the kids should be out finding regular geocaches, the good kind in tupperware, because those are nice.

We don'd need stinky metal boxes stinking up the game, let's stick with tupperware, its what works and it doesn't leak at all.

Hope you are joking here.......

Edited by Escape & Evasion

This one time at band camp....

I'm not sure, but I think this thread may be a reply to another thread.

Can anybody here actually afford to buy Tupperware* for their cache containers? For that matter, has anybody here ever found Tupperware in the woods? I know I haven't. :unsure:

*Tupperware

Tupperware gets very brittle, very rapidly in any kind of sun. I found one that had only been out two months and my fingers went through the lid when I tried to remove it.

Plus, when they get caught in a forest fire, they don't vaporize like a normal cache. You have to go and pack them out. What a hassle.

*Tupperware

I've found real Tupperware containers. Actually they make crappy cache containers. I've rarely found a dry tupperware cache

Edited by briansnat

There was this one time at band camp when i came across a cache that was in need of repair. The lid was cracked, logbook wet and unreadable, and all the contents were encrusted with smelly moldy flesh eating bacteria. Just happened to have my flute with me so i used it to carefully examine the rest of the contents. I wanted to make sure there weren't any rusted geocoins or other waterlogged trackables inside. None found so i left a throwdown ammocan with new log, some dollar store items, and a travelbug.

Boy was that a mistake. Not only was i blasted by the cache owner, but also denied my performance of my long awaited flute solo. :blink:

*Tupperware

I've found real Tupperware containers. Actually they make crappy cache containers. I've rarely found a dry tupperware cache

The truth is that ammo boxes and Tupperware are BOTH bad. Tupperware because it's a non-biodegradable, petroleum based product that is bad for the environment.

The perfect cache container is one that is naturally camoflaged, can be made to fit in almost any hiding spot, can expand as the cache grows (or contract as it shrinks), is made from renewable resources and is cheap. The paper grocery bag.

All other cache containers are inherently evil.

The perfect cache container is one that is naturally camoflaged, can be made to fit in almost any hiding spot, can expand as the cache grows (or contract as it shrinks), is made from renewable resources and is cheap. The paper grocery bag.

All other cache containers are inherently evil.

Tree hater! :ph34r:

I can fight my way out of a wet paper bag.

I think hiding them should be banned completely. They should be very large, marked so they don't blend in at all with the surroundings, and ideally have a built in GPS sensor so they can make loud noises as a geocacher approaches. If I've made the effort to get to GZ I deserve to be rewarded with the find.

On a marginally more serious note if they won't fit behind signs maybe we'll see the end of lame caches stuck behind road signs.

I'm serious about this, I stubbed my toe on an ammo can and it made me decide to only use tupperware.

....NO WAY.... My favorite find is an Ammo Can cache! I'm sure I am NOT ALONE!

I like finding ammo cans and seriously stubbing your toe? Why u wearing flip flops in the woods?

....NO WAY.... My favorite find is an Ammo Can cache! I'm sure I am NOT ALONE!

I like finding ammo cans and seriously stubbing your toe? Why u wearing flip flops in the woods?

flip flops on the woods?????? :laughing:

But I thought that those odd bits of wire sticking out of the ammo can made good camo, you know like vines and stuff. And I couldn't make it chirp like a cricket, so I put a clock inside it so that it would tick instead. And then I didn't want anyone who accidentally found it messing with it so I wrote "Danger this is a bomb do not touch" on it. That's ok, right?

But I thought that those odd bits of wire sticking out of the ammo can made good camo, you know like vines and stuff. And I couldn't make it chirp like a cricket, so I put a clock inside it so that it would tick instead. And then I didn't want anyone who accidentally found it messing with it so I wrote "Danger this is a bomb do not touch" on it. That's ok, right?

Only if you hide it in a highly public spot. Any mechanical clock, with ticking loud enough to be heard from inside an ammo can, is gonna be a battery hog. If you hide this way out in the woods, where the numbers oriented cachers rarely roam, the batteries will die betwixt finds. Put it somewhere that the P&G crowd will appreciate, like under the steps of a courthouse, next to an active rail road track or under a highway overpass and you'll be fine.

Only if you hide it in a highly public spot. Any mechanical clock, with ticking loud enough to be heard from inside an ammo can, is gonna be a battery hog. If you hide this way out in the woods, where the numbers oriented cachers rarely roam, the batteries will die betwixt finds. Put it somewhere that the P&G crowd will appreciate, like under the steps of a courthouse, next to an active rail road track or under a highway overpass and you'll be fine.

I've been thinking about making a HUGE geocache and one of the local elementary schools gave me permission to hide one one their property. I'm think about taking an old van, the kind that is big enough to use as a camper, and parking it outside the school and hanging a sign that says "Free Candy". I really think the kids will appreciate it and it should get lot of favorite points.

I've been thinking about making a HUGE geocache and one of the local elementary schools gave me permission to hide one one their property. I'm think about taking an old van, the kind that is big enough to use as a camper, and parking it outside the school and hanging a sign that says "Free Candy". I really think the kids will appreciate it and it should get lot of favorite points.

Dude! That's an awesome idea!

You should paint the windows over so muggles can't see the cache inside...

Edited by Clan Riffster