Lab cache issue

I'm slightly concerned. I completed all ten lab caches last weekend at the Kent Mega in the UK and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

But different parts of the website count them in overall finds and others don't. At the top of the website my overall find count is now ten higher than the overall finds count on my stats page.

It wouldn't be too bad, but I'm close to a milestone which is like to be some special on my trip to Rio in two weeks. But the overall total milestone will be ten more than what the stats page thinks.

Is this something that is going to be fixed?

I'm slightly concerned. I completed all ten lab caches last weekend at the Kent Mega in the UK and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

But different parts of the website count them in overall finds and others don't. At the top of the website my overall find count is now ten higher than the overall finds count on my stats page.

It wouldn't be too bad, but I'm close to a milestone which is like to be some special on my trip to Rio in two weeks. But the overall total milestone will be ten more than what the stats page thinks.

Is this something that is going to be fixed?

From what I understand, there's nothing to be fixed. That's the way it's supposed to work.

This has been brought up a lot in the forums. An advanced search of the forums will yield results, including the thread where the Lab caches were announced.

B.

Domo!!!

Please read here & here for the latest updates on Lab Caches.

From the release: Additionally, Lab Caches are not included in the My Finds Pocket Query (or other Pocket Queries) and will not result in any Souvenirs being awarded.

So they are going to count once more for my stats but I won't be able to generate them on a My Finds PQ so they will still mess up my other party stats programs. Thanks guys; that really doesn't solve anything.

I could care less they counting for souvenirs, in fact, I would not want them to count for souvenirs. However, I wish they would count in your my finds query. Can hope some day. I mean, they are originally in a GPX file for download which can partly be uploaded into GSAK, why not be in your pocket query? Have each lab cache a GC#, would save folks from accidentally logging the old caches and put us all on the same page.

There are a couple of topics over on the gsak forum that say they have manually added the lab caches to their founds db and when adding a new my finds query don't clear the old ones out. That solution works for when in gsak but others like project-gc (an official api partner of gs) are going to be off. I am probably just going to delete the three I have.

For me, I have a current finds database in GSAK. Once the lab finds are in there and I reload my new GPX file from Groundspeak finds, the lab caches stay there. As long as I do not start a new database, the old lab caches stay there forever. Its fine for me, but I wish they would add them so folks do not have to go through the initial hassle each time they find more. We may have like 25 to 30 new lab caches in August with all the stuff coming around the Block Party, would hate to have to make up GC#s and all the other fields I do to get them in there they way I like them, excluding the fact I have to use the "other" icon.

Edited by lamoracke

As of June 3, Lab Caches will be counted in your statistics and milestones, so all your numbers will be consistent.

Official email from Groundspeak on May 27:

Your Lab Cache finds are now more official than ever. Lab Caches are scheduled to be rolled into Geocaching find statistics and your milestones beginning on June 3, 2014. Besides cheering, there's one other thing you might want to consider doing.

The addition of your Lab Cache finds may alter your milestones. Check now to lock-in milestones on your Geocaching.com profile. After the update, you'll be able to use the tool to lock in a Lab Cache find as a milestone. You'll also find Lab Cache stats on your chronology and geocache types section. If you created a Lab Cache and it was logged, you'll find new stats on your owned geocaches page.

Thanks for finding a Lab Cache and helping to play a part in shaping the future of geocaching.

Sincerely,

Everyone at Geocaching HQ

I think everyone who has posted since post #7 read it...

"Additionally, Lab Caches are not included in the My Finds Pocket Query (or other Pocket Queries)"

I read it and I do not like that aspect. I wish they will some day show up in your my finds pocket query. Thus, anyone who likes playing with their statistics or using any third party stats software has to manually enter at least some data into 3rd party software to make your statistics match and the icon will not show in GSAK because GSAK will not recognize a lab cache until it shows up in my finds pocket queries. Does not sound fully integrated to me.

I am sure the new fix in early June is a step in the right direction, counting to milestones, showing up in more stats, but its not fixed until its in a my finds pocket query as well, in my opinion.

Edited by lamoracke

"Additionally, Lab Caches are not included in the My Finds Pocket Query (or other Pocket Queries)"

I read it and I do not like that aspect. I wish they will some day show up in your my finds pocket query. Thus, anyone who likes playing with their statistics or using any third party stats software has to manually enter at least some data into 3rd party software to make your statistics match and the icon will not show in GSAK because GSAK will not recognize a lab cache until it shows up in my finds pocket queries. Does not sound fully integrated to me.

I am sure the new fix in early June is a step in the right direction, counting to milestones, showing up in more stats, but its not fixed until its in a my finds pocket query as well, in my opinion.

Amen...

Amen...

Me too, I refuse to find one until it's either really a cache or either really not, I am a bit obsessive about my stats and it would just drive me nuts finding one of these things the way they are now.

HELP!!! I logged 10 lab caches as part of my 12 icon day at Geowoodstock. However, I didn't log them until I got home and didn't see a place to change the date to the date you found them. Therefore, they are showing up at 5/28/14 instead of the 5/24/14 I need to claim such a great icon day. I even tried looking in the source code, but couldn't figure out ow to change to the actual dte found. Any ideas?

HELP!!! I logged 10 lab caches as part of my 12 icon day at Geowoodstock. However, I didn't log them until I got home and didn't see a place to change the date to the date you found them. Therefore, they are showing up at 5/28/14 instead of the 5/24/14 I need to claim such a great icon day. I even tried looking in the source code, but couldn't figure out ow to change to the actual dte found. Any ideas?

I do not think you can edit the date, they are simply a reflection of the date you enter the code. You can always email GS support and ask if they can change that. I think anyone who maintains such a challenge would understand the limitations of these. Had not thought of that before.

Edited by lamoracke

I would like to be able to change the date too. I logged my lab cache finds as I found them during the event we were at this past weekend, but my son logged them all after we returned home. Now they have added to his count, but on the wrong day. Instead of showing up on June 18th and 19th, which is when we found them, they count toward the finds on June 22, which is incorrect. It makes a difference, because with those lab caches, we had over 100 finds on the 19th (biggest day of finds for both of us). That's a big deal for a 9-year-old. His stats show that his biggest day is 95 finds. Not quite the same.

I would like to be able to change the date too. I logged my lab cache finds as I found them during the event we were at this past weekend, but my son logged them all after we returned home. Now they have added to his count, but on the wrong day. Instead of showing up on June 18th and 19th, which is when we found them, they count toward the finds on June 22, which is incorrect. It makes a difference, because with those lab caches, we had over 100 finds on the 19th (biggest day of finds for both of us). That's a big deal for a 9-year-old. His stats show that his biggest day is 95 finds. Not quite the same.

Just go into your log and click "edit" then change the date to the 19th, oh wait, you can only do that with real caches that have real logs and real stats.

Edited by Roman!
Is there a way to delete the Lab Cache finds if you dont want the hassle of them messing up stats?
Yes. From the Help Center article Lab Cache FAQs:

Can I delete the Lab Caches from my profile?

Yes. If you do not want to have the Lab Caches show on your profile or count as a find, you are able to delete them. Click on "Lab Caches" on your Public Profile under "Geocaches Found," log in and select the garbage can next to each Lab Cache you would like to delete. Keep in mind that once you delete, you will not be able to get a Lab Cache find reinstated later.