App - eliminate the default log type

L0ne.R

Is anyone noticing that a lot of new cachers using apps (usually see the canned message) are claiming finds on caches that are missing. Many even say they didn't find the cache but choose "Found it". It seems like they didn't know that they could click the down arrow and change the default "Found it!" to "Didn't find it".

Some caches already have multiple DNFs, then along comes a newbie app cacher who claims a find for a cache that isn't there. False finds can waste the next cacher's time and money.

I've also had the experience where I log a DNF, the next person logs a DNF, then a new cacher comes along and logs a 'canned message' find. Did they actually find it? Is it worth driving over to try again? Often the CO is MIA so they're not checking and reporting on the cache. The new app finder is not reachable to ask them if the cache is really there.

If the app forced people to choose a log type I think this problem would be less prevalent.

14358749608_137e5fec1c_m.jpg

I'd like to know if this FREE app is the same as the one I paid $10 for. I don't see a difference but that could be because I'm a premium member and pay yearly dues.

Anyone know if it's the same?

I don't know, but I did just read the weekly newsletter and it talked about the diffrences.

And what's the use of the weekly newsletter, if they don't have a validated email account? :unsure:

It becomes obvious that they have never come to the website and read the 'how to' of caching.

I've gotten a few that have the smiley but a note saying they have not found it. Of course there's usually no way to contact them to find out which it is.

+1

I thought there was also a, "I couldn't find this Geocache, maybe I'll have better luck next time!" or similar for DNFs on the intro app.

I agree, with this new batch of folks not even knowing what geocaching is, they probably have no idea where to look for it, or why we DNF.

- Not being able to contact 'em doesn't help...

I'd like to know if this FREE app is the same as the one I paid $10 for. I don't see a difference but that could be because I'm a premium member and pay yearly dues.

Anyone know if it's the same?

I don't know, but I did just read the weekly newsletter and it talked about the diffrences.

And what's the use of the weekly newsletter, if they don't have a validated email account? :unsure:

Oh, I meant that as an answer to Scrabblers, not for the OP.

My original screenshot is from my $10 app. I had assumed the intro app was the same. Just had a look at the intro app on my iphone and it is different than it was about 3 weeks ago. Better then I expected.....

14544641504_97e2b45a7f_n.jpg

Maybe the $10 app needs to adopt this process. I don't know what it's like on the android versions.

AND while I was at it, I had a look at what happens when you click on Found it......I was pleasantly surprised.

14545257032_3e4e80cc63_n.jpg

So it looks like the $10 app is the problem (and maybe the android versions).

My original screenshot is from my $10 app. I had assumed the intro app was the same. Just had a look at the intro app on my iphone and it is different than it was about 3 weeks ago. Better then I expected.....

- snip -

...So it looks like the $10 app is the problem (and maybe the android versions).

Could it be another free app? Maybe the one we're not supposed to mention?

CJ won't load any other than the GC full (and I gave mine up), so I can't tell...

Your opening post said, "usually see the canned message".

Wouldn't that make it the intro app (unless another has a similar default), or does the full app have a default too?

- snip -

...So it looks like the $10 app is the problem (and maybe the android versions).

Could it be another free app? Maybe the one we're not supposed to mention?

CJ won't load any other than the GC full (and I gave mine up), so I can't tell...

Your opening post said, "usually see the canned message".

Wouldn't that make it the intro app (unless another has a similar default), or does the full app have a default too?

It's so confusing. I'm wondering when they made the change to the intro app. Maybe it was meer hours or less than a week ago. It was the intro app that had the canned message.

I just checked the $10 app and when you tap Found it, then Send now you get a "Missing Text You must input text before you can save". I'm pretty sure that wasn't there a few weeks ago.

If the changes were made very recently then it looks like Groundspeak is listening. Maybe all versions of the app will eventually not default to Found it and all versions will have the "Missing text" message or preferably the "Use this space to share your story and say thanks to the geocache creator" message. And we'll see a decrease in the "Found it" logs on missing caches.

Is anyone noticing that a lot of new cachers using apps (usually see the canned message) are claiming finds on caches that are missing. Many even say they didn't find the cache but choose "Found it". It seems like they didn't know that they could click the down arrow and change the default "Found it!" to "Didn't find it".

Some caches already have multiple DNFs, then along comes a newbie app cacher who claims a find for a cache that isn't there. False finds can waste the next cacher's time and money.

I've also had the experience where I log a DNF, the next person logs a DNF, then a new cacher comes along and logs a 'canned message' find. Did they actually find it? Is it worth driving over to try again? Often the CO is MIA so they're not checking and reporting on the cache. The new app finder is not reachable to ask them if the cache is really there.

If the app forced people to choose a log type I think this problem would be less prevalent.

14358749608_137e5fec1c_m.jpg

+1

14544641504_97e2b45a7f_n.jpg

Maybe the $10 app needs to adopt this process. I don't know what it's like on the android versions.

AND while I was at it, I had a look at what happens when you click on Found it......I was pleasantly surprised.

14545257032_3e4e80cc63_n.jpg

So it looks like the $10 app is the problem (and maybe the android versions).

My Android version (of the PAID app) has the same basic layout as your first posted image showing "Found it" as the default log type.

And since I actually DID pay $10 for the GC app, I feel okay also saying that the c:geo app has "Found it" as the default log type...which may actually be a bigger problem because of all the newbies picking up the game and finding this free app that allows more options than the official free GC app.

I think the grouchy guy may be on to something. All the discussion has been about the GS apps, paid or free, but many of the issues may be from those who are using one of the other free apps out there. Do all the free apps require an account and to log in the GS site? Or can a n00b just start finding caches of all types with the non-GS apps?

I think the grouchy guy may be on to something. All the discussion has been about the GS apps, paid or free, but many of the issues may be from those who are using one of the other free apps out there. Do all the free apps require an account and to log in the GS site? Or can a n00b just start finding caches of all types with the non-GS apps?

I actually made the suggestion over there but was summarily dismissed...

Anyway, for fear of getting kicked out of the conversation, back to the GC app.

Groundspeak ought to take the lead on that even in the official paid apps. Even the experienced cacher can, in a rush, submit the log before catching the error. I've done it several times and have had to wait until I'm at a computer to edit the log.

And speaking of that...I'd also LOVE to be able to edit my logs through the app - change the log type and edit text.