Do you crave for a FTF?

I craved FTFs until I got a couple. That did the trick.

Right now I just crave ice cream. With heath bars and oreos and cookie dough all smashed up in there. Maybe hot fudge on top. Oh yeah, that sounds really good right now!!! :D

I do have to admit, a FTF on a cache that's been out in the middle of nowhere, unfound, for years - that would be pretty sweet. I tried for one once - couldn't find it. I don't know if I'd call that a craving...I think I'd say it's more like pizza - quite good but not quite "crave" worthy.

No, I do not try for them. I have two first finds, both of them had been posted a few days prior, which doesn't seem like a big deal... but in my area caches are snatched within a couple hours. I agree that long-unfound FTF would be very cool to get.

The ftf game can be fun when there are others in your area who play it too. There have been quite a few times where i've run into other cachers and enjoyed the camaraderie while going for a ftf. The big thing is that it needs to stay a friendly competition. We've been lucky in our area in that we haven't had any goofballs come along and take it too seriously.

I find it a good fun side game. I don't take it to seriously but will go for one if the timing is right. Like said I get to meet a bunch of new cachers that way. I have heard of people fighting over who was the first to find. Like one posted in a park where the hours are from 6am until 10pm and one gets published and someone goes and finds it at 10:30 pm. Then someone goes and finds it at 6:10am and argues that they were first to find because they found it legally or something along those lines. That is just crazy.

But like the other day there was a series posted late at night and I didn't go for any of them but figured I would pick one up on Sunday as they were close to home to keep the streak going. I was working on the house and getting kind of hungry. Another one was published at the same place so I figured why not take a break and go for a FTF instead. I can find it fun but wouldn't argue over it.

Crave? Hmm.. I do like FTF hunts and the different aspects of it. At the last place we lived each newly published cache would immediately draw quite a few people to that spot. Thus while we weren't FTF too often it was always nice to meet some people. solving a D5 puzzle and being FTF was really cool!

At the place we live now people mainly go out during weekends and a cache might be unfound for 1-2 weeks, maybe even longer. Finding one of those is exciting as we don't know if someone went to the same cache somewhere out in the desert just an hour before us. :yikes:

When we first started, there was a guy in our area who proclaimed himself to be the "FTF King".

Night-shifters at the time, it was simple for us to go out after work, early morning and find hides FTF.

This guy started whining at events that "those new kids" were taking his FTFs - a time when nearly all new hides would have FTF prizes in them, ranging from lottery tickets to cash.

Quite a few of the locals emailed us, saying thanks, time to shut this guy up.

- Well. that's what CJ just needed to hear.

She became a FTF monster... even got all tech with Trimble on her blackberry and got notifications (anyone else remember that?).

Gas was cheap at the time, so on top of "the King's" area, it wasn't a big deal to go outta State and grab FTFs there too.

Gas got more expensive and CJ advanced in the company. No longer on night shift, I was expected to fill in.

I got burned out, the "King" phased from the scene and we finally stopped running all hours for micros.

I think we stopped around 300 FTFs.

Have another forty or so just going out when we feel like it now (she still keeps track).

The hides we go for aren't as popular as the new roadside attraction.

Edited by cerberus1

There's a guy (too) close to where I live whose mantra is "99% of the FTF's are found by only 1% of Geocacher"

Well, honestly I'm glad to be part of the remaining 99% of geocachers. I see geocaching as a great hobby, rather than a competition.

Personally I'm more than "fulfilled" with the 1 FTF I have out of my 500something finds. To get stressed I have enough with my work :rolleyes:

There's a guy (too) close to where I live whose mantra is "99% of the FTF's are found by only 1% of Geocacher"

Well, honestly I'm glad to be part of the remaining 99% of geocachers. I see geocaching as a great hobby, rather than a competition.

Personally I'm more than "fulfilled" with the 1 FTF I have out of my 500something finds. To get stressed I have enough with my work :rolleyes:

Good Manta! But I'd say it's even less. There's like 6 serious FTF hounds within my 50 mile notification radius. Out of what, like 10,000 people who have ever found Geocaches in that same region? :)

When we first started, there was a guy in our area who proclaimed himself to be the "FTF King".

Night-shifters at the time, it was simple for us to go out after work, early morning and find hides FTF.

This guy started whining at events that "those new kids" were taking his FTFs - a time when nearly all new hides would have FTF prizes in them, ranging from lottery tickets to cash.

She became a FTF monster... even got all tech with Trimble on her blackberry and got notifications (anyone else remember that?).

Gas was cheap at the time, so on top of "the King's" area, it wasn't a big deal to go outta State and grab FTFs there too.

Gas got more expensive and CJ advanced in the company. No longer on night shift, I was expected to fill in.

I got burned out, the "King" phased from the scene and we finally stopped running all hours for micros.

Have another forty or so just going out when we feel like it now (she still keeps track).

Interesting, I had no idea! There's been a lot of disparaging remarks about the "FTF side game" around here, and I guess I never did notice you replying to any of them! :lol: Personally, I will admit to "going for FTF's" for about the first 2 years of my career, from 2003 to 2005. Then we got a couple of then newbies who were way too obnoxious and competitive, (in my opinion, of course). One is long gone, but the other still actively pursues FTF's almost 9 years later.

I do not crave for an FTF.

I call it beta testing.

Not my idea of a good time.

--Larry

True, but then again, beta testing makes for some good stories.

I fondly remember going for a FTF (the cache had not been placed yet) and searching for 45 minutes in an area full of garbage and dog poop and prickles. There was one particular piece of dog poop I grabbed 3 times, each time thinking it was the cache.

Then there was the other FTF run where the coordinates were 80 meters off. I searched an 80 meter strip along a busy road, climbing in and out of a steep ditch until I finally bumped into the cache. :huh:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Perhaps, every once in a while, I think that signing a blank log can be a guilty pleasure. Certainly not a craving. I ignore most new caches that are published in my area, don't pay attention to whether a cache has been logged, and don't keep track of the numbers. I never use FTF when I sign a new log and never "claim" anything. So it's not a craving.

But if a cache meets certain criteria, I may end up first because I have an impaired sense of delayed gratification. It can be fun if the cache was fun. Or I may end up second. It can be fun if the cache was fun. Or I may put it off until a later day.

Some caches in my area can go weeks without the initial find. Sometimes somebody will make a point in grabbing one, even coming from outside the area. But for me it's just a matter of time, place, and circumstances.

Edited by geodarts

I do not crave for an FTF.

I call it beta testing.

Not my idea of a good time.

--Larry

True, but then again, beta testing makes for some good stories.

I fondly remember going for a FTF (the cache had not been placed yet) and searching for 45 minutes in an area full of garbage and dog poop and prickles. There was one particular piece of dog poop I grabbed 3 times, each time thinking it was the cache.

Then there was the other FTF run where the coordinates were 80 meters off. I searched an 80 meter strip along a busy road, climbing in and out of a steep ditch until I finally bumped into the cache. :huh:

I've pretty much given up on FTFs. "Oh. It's not there yet. Had problems with the reviewer, so I'm not hiding it until it's approved." "Oops. Put in W 75, instead of W 74." "Oops. Put in wrong coords for stage 2. It's not in that house's living room. Will change it."

Nope. Not into Beta Testing. I'll wait.

Though my best memories are:

Meeting cerberus1 on an FTF hunt. Neither of us would leave until it was found! He beat me to it.

I took an afternoon off to hunt an FTF. (semi-tough puzzle.) Got it! On the way out, met one of the more unusual FTF hounds. Not especially local. Known for hunting at 2 AM in parks that were closed for the night, &c. Did I get a "Congrats, Harry"? Well, yes. But more of: "Ugh! I guess this teaches me to resort to my old SD ways of night hunting for puzzle FTFs."

Naw. Not into FTFs anymore. Too many local FTF hunters.

Good Manta! But I'd say it's even less. There's like 6 serious FTF hounds within my 50 mile notification radius. Out of what, like 10,000 people who have ever found Geocaches in that same region? :)

Interesting, I had no idea! There's been a lot of disparaging remarks about the "FTF side game" around here, and I guess I never did notice you replying to any of them! :lol: Personally, I will admit to "going for FTF's" for about the first 2 years of my career, from 2003 to 2005. Then we got a couple of then newbies who were way too obnoxious and competitive, (in my opinion, of course). One is long gone, but the other still actively pursues FTF's almost 9 years later.

I "tried" to get FTF on some caches in the first couple of years as well, and I think I got about 15 of them in my first 1000 finds. Then the numbers craze really started become viral and the competitiveness of some really soured me to the game. I've found less than 200 caches since then and only attempted one FTF (and got it). That cache was in Malaysia, 9400 miles from home.

When I first started geocaching I tried one or two, mainly because I would rely heavily on past logs and wanted to see if I could find a cache without that. I got one the other day without going out specifically for it; i was in the area already caching and saw the email notification 3 hours after it arrived in my inbox and seeing as I was so close I decided to go for it. I figured someone else may have beat me to it, especially when it took me so long to work out how to get to the spot I needed to park, but I managed a joint ftf with a local guy who was telling me about all his FTFs. If there is a cache particularly close to me I might go out for the FTF in the future, but I really don't feel the need to go out again.

My first FTF was my second cache at all. I just had found my very first cache, logged it online and scanned the local map for more. After reloading the map there suddenly was another cache just around the corner (first stage of a multi). I tried and found it first, not aware there is such a thing like FTF side game or "FTF hunt". It was just a cache... :)

Since I'm PM and able to get notification mails I tried some FTF in my local area, but won't spend much gas/effort on it. I let some go just beeing too lazy or tired. I have some fun on trying FTF on puzzle caches, but fellow cachers are good in solving them as well, so my count on 10 of them recently published in my 20km homezone is now 2 FTF, 1 STF, 1 yet to solve and 6 that simply don't interest me. Totally, with ~360 finds I have ~15 FTF.

So much, trying FTF is sometimes fun, sometimes I just ignore it. If I'm near GZ at the publish moment, I might try it. But I don't really crave. Depends on a lot of factors, mostly on actual mood...

Regarding beta testing: I fell in this trap, too - both as a (FTF-)cacher and as a owner. As owner I once put "north" in a puzzle coordinate calculation instead of "south". Just after beeing published I got several comments (I had put a geochecker in) and was notified about the mishap. Well, I humbly corrected the listing and announced an invitation for the first finders who get there until midnight (publish was at 9 PM, my correction took effect at around 10:30 PM), drove to the cache site and waited. FTF, STF and me then had some beer and a nice talk in a nearby bar paid by me, until 1:30 AM! Was a real fun "event", totally worth the error. :)

There I met one of our area's craziest FTF hunter, who gets most of them and does almost all at any time to get a FTF, still is a nice and relaxed guy, just having fun. I beat him occasionally... :)

For me, geocaching is a lot about the experience and the stories asociated with. The above FTF experiences made some good anecdotes - target reached.

No, not at all.

I guess it would be fun to get one but, you won't see me running out the door at 2am trying for a FTF.

I have never run out the door at 2am trying for an FTF but I have run out the door at 2 pm trying for an FTF, it's easy to criticize when you make up stuff.

No. I have nothing against the idea of being the first one and I succeeded several times but I've never treated this as my goal. In last years I witnessed several cases of people getting crazy with FTFs, struggling for logging the very first smiley, being disappointed if they failed and boasting if they were lucky. I don't want to be involved in this.

No, not at all.

I guess it would be fun to get one but, you won't see me running out the door at 2am trying for a FTF.

I have never run out the door at 2am trying for an FTF but I have run out the door at 2 pm trying for an FTF, it's easy to criticize when you make up stuff.

there are people who do, though.

I have a handful of FTFs. I've usually come across them by accident. It's fun when it happens, but I crave naps and tasty food far more than the FTF. But one of the things that makes geocaching so awesome is that it can be done in a virtually infinite number of ways. For some, the FTF is an integral part of the hobby. For me, it's just a happy anomaly that happens fairly rarely.

The FTF chase around here used to be great fun, whether you got it or not. For us, it was more a way to get together. Now though, there's only a couple of us from that mob still active. The rest have called it a day.

There was also none of the "co-FTF" nonsense. One person was first, everyone else wasn't.

I keep reading how some cachers believe they shouldn't allow FTF. Hmm someone has to be FTF or the cache will never be found at all.

Also I notice many times in my area when someone is FTF, no one bothers to visit the cache for a long time. FTF is taken so they don't bother cause they now want to save it for the consecutive days challenges.

Edited by jellis

the geokids would love to be FTF once, and so would i happy with just once so others can be too

FTF is not too hard. Here is a re-hash of my tips that can be found in the link in my signature:

1. Get push e-mail on your phone. POP3 can cost you valuable minutes.

1a. If you don't have a smart phone, have geocaching.com send notifications to your phone's text message email address (something like {10 diget phone number}@text.att.net, google it for your service provider)

2. Have your geocaching supplies ready to go, perferably in the car.

3. Learn your reviewers habbits. My reviewer usualy publishes cacher aroung 0730h or 2200h. Be ready to go at those times (not mine, yours), and have your phone handy.

4. Don't drive like a maniac. You definatly will not get FTF if you are stopped for speeding/running red light, or crash.

If you use these tips, you will have a FTF in no time. I am quite selective about what caches I attempt FTF, but using these 4 principles, I have a 95% success rate (approximately).

No interest in FTFs. I think in 13+ years of geocaching I actually tried for one and that was only because I saw as it was published and realized it was a half mile from my house. I probably have around 2 dozen FTFs (I don't keep count) and all the rest were purely by accident.

I'd rather let the FTF hounds deal with bad coords, private property and generally be beta testers.

If one comes up within a mile or so of home, and it's an evening or weekend, I usually go out for it if not busy. But, we have a very active group of what must be retirees who seemingly pounce on new ones within 15 minutes of publication. One has used the excuse of "I was driving by the cache site when the notice came so made the quick grab". Yeah, right, like he didn't rush out from wherever he lived. Interestingly, I just put out a cache that went just over 2 weeks w/o before being found. Not a single DNF from the usual crew B) The FTF was not part of that crew.

The few FTFs I've had were more down to luck than racing to grab them. Made it a bit sweeter. No rushing to be the first at the scene, although the gathering of cachers those times we did try was great and meant more to me than the cache! That's why I like the game....so many ways to enjoy it for each of us.

...I think I'd say it's more like pizza...

Pretty much. The first couple bites are always the best.

When I started out, and began to realize that I actually enjoyed this odd little hobby, I made a decision that I would only do this for fun, for myself. I can be highly competitive and I didn't want to introduce the complications that come with competition into something that was rapidly growing into a relaxing diversion from the vagaries of life.

I only have a handful of FTF's, and not a single one was intentional. On the other hand, I have intentionally given up a handful of FTF's.

You won't catch me mucking up my enjoyment of caching by pouring competition all over it. That would be like pouring chocolate syrup on a hot pizza.

Well, a guilty yes on rare exeptions like outstanding, adventurous caches nearby like this one yesterday:

http://coord.info/GC55HPY Scriptum

Sometimes I like to solve a nice riddle instantly if I suspect it to be nearby by foot or public transport or if no one was there after an hour. But depending on who is owner.

If I suspect bad coordinates or mistakes in a riddle, I prefer waiting for others to do the Beta-testing.

In general, definitely NO, I don't crave for FTF, only 1% of my finds are FTF, mostly unknown caches.

That keeps me away from getting in the way of the too fervent and sometimes goofy 'FTF-Geier' (FTF-vultures) around the place and let's them get their xx-th FTF they need for their rankings.

A traditional not found after 10 minutes, even in the middle of the night? Not here in Vienna. Has to be completely off or not there. ;)

The most complex riddle you can think of and T5 not found after one or two days? If solvable in intended way or by other means, no, not possible here. Then something is really too faulty for the most fault-tolerant handyman and allrounder or unsolvable 'read my mind' stuff without geochecker.

The other day I noticed a new tradi with clearly bad coordinates, only one minute from my position. But I preferred waiting until a certain cacher with patience like an angel or in cases of bad coordinates with patience (in german) 'like a monkey' confirmed the cache is there, just 'only' 25m off. This cacher doesn't give up even if this means scanning a 100m radius for a lame traditional.

In other parts of my country with only few cachers or in the mountains the situation is completely different.

In high alpine terrain sometimes you could go for a FTF even years after publish.

• Upvote 1

When I was new I chased them till I got 20 or so. Now I'd rather see someone with just a few finds get it so I don't go out of my way anymore. Figure it means more to them. My favorite FTF's were two caches in a nearby town, the descriptions didn't match the map locations- not even close. I went on a hunch and found them both, 7 miles from the posted coordinates!

The other day (Monday) I ran out for a FTF, but was STF. Why, I didn't notice the email until about 4 min after it arrived. The point of this is that if you want FTFs, you realy need IMAP email (aka Push Email), not POP3 email (which can delay delivery by 15 min or more), and have the volume up high. Mine was on vibrate, and I didn't notice it, hence the 4 min lost, hence the missed FTF by about 3 min. Anyway, meeting the other cacher at GZ was better than a FTF anyway.

Sometimes I do and sometimes not. I see a new cache and it depends on where it is and where the other FTF Hounds are. Then sometimes I let it pass for someone else to get one. As mentioned before, it is a great way to meet other cachers in the field besides at events. Since I am in an area of FTF Hounds I end up sharing the FTFs with others and them with me.