7 Souvenirs of Aug. Placing a cache type for souvenir?

Hello Everyone,

The seven souvenirs of August is fast approaching and I have a question: Does placing a cache type during the month of August guarantee a souvenir for the cache type? For example, if possible, I'd like to place an EarthCache around my area; additionally I have found all earthcaches in my town, and the closest ones are at least twenty miles away. I do not drive at the moment so finding one would be quite challenging. Thanks for all your input.

FalseFruit

You could set up (and attend) a CITO event for that souvenir.

At the risk of sending this topic OT, I've always wondered why it was uncool to log your own EarthCaches?

If you can log an event as attended, why wouldn't a EarthCache be the same thing?

To answer the CO's question, historically Grounspeak has not given rewards or souvenirs for a player hiding a cache, so I highly doubt this would change for the 7 Souvenirs of August promotion.

At the risk of sending this topic OT, I've always wondered why it was uncool to log your own EarthCaches?

If you can log an event as attended, why wouldn't a EarthCache be the same thing?

To answer the CO's question, historically Grounspeak has not given rewards or souvenirs for a player hiding a cache, so I highly doubt this would change for the 7 Souvenirs of August promotion.

I'm guessing because attending an event is participating exactly like everyone else who attends, but on an Earthcache you already know all the answers to the questions, so you have "inside information" that everyone else has to learn while on-site.

Place it, then find it. It's not like you didn't do,the research but don't forget to send the answers to yourself.

Anybody know if the Block Party counts for the event/mega/giga one?

If you attend an event/mega event/giga event held in August, and log it as "attended" during August, that will count for the "Socializer" souvenir.

Attend an Event Cache, Mega-Event or Giga-Event to unlock the Socializer souvenir.

Not sure why one needs "official" confirmation about that.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Anybody know if the Block Party counts for the event/mega/giga one?

If you attend an event/mega event/giga event held in August, and log it as "attended" during August, that will count for the "Socializer" souvenir.

Attend an Event Cache, Mega-Event or Giga-Event to unlock the Socializer souvenir.

Not sure why one needs "official" confirmation about that.

B.

...because "Block Party", which is its own cache type, isn't in that list of qualifying cache types. One would assume it qualifies, but we'd only be assuming.

I've moved past the point where I concern myself with how others geocache and what they do or don't take credit for, so I'm not telling you to log your own ECs or not. All I can say is that I would not; to me, the intent or spirit of an event cache is a little different than that of an earthcache.

The point of an event cache is normally to gather geocachers for socializing. If I throw a party, I get to have fun, too. One normally is in attendance at an event one organizes. And heck, they don't even call the log for events "found it," they call it "attended." I've left attended logs for each of our events, and I plan to keep doing it. I've also noticed that, while my approach is not universally practiced, it is common enough; we've logged events in several different geocaching communities in different German and U.S. states, and the organizer has logged "attended" for each.

The point of an earthcache is to take someone to a natural feature and teach them an earth science lesson. Teachers don't normally get credit for taking their own classes, so I wouldn't log my own earthcache. It also seems inconsistent with the earthcache.org guidelines for logging tasks, which seem to treat visitors and cache owners as distinct groups:

Logging an EarthCache requires visitors to undertake a site-specific task which provides a learning opportunity related to the topic. The logging tasks must have visitors using the information from the cache page along with their observations at the site to perform some type of analysis of their own. Logging task solutions will serve as the cache owner's proof that the cacher has visited the site. Questions which only serve to prove that someone visited the site, and do not relate to the site's geology, are not permitted. All requests for photographs must be optional. Visitors must be able to send their answers to logging tasks via the cache owner's profile.

But at the end of the day, will my world crumble if you log your own ECs? Nope.