This topic is locked

No this topic isn't locked (not yet, anyway), but that is the topic of my topic. In browsing some pre-existing (not anciently dormant) threads I have recently noticed a few that I thought I had something worthwhile to contribute to the topic only to find that the threads have been locked. Now I can understand locking a thread in some instances to be necessary - perhaps a poster has become abusive to another (perhaps more appropriate to just ban that member) or something has been mentioned (website or competing interest, etc.) that isn't permitted, although I would think it'd be more efficient to just remove link or mentions that are in violation.

But it seems that some threads get locked or closed merely because the original poster says something like "you answered my question, please close thread" because they didn't like the answers they were getting or moderators just don't like the tone or direction of the dialogue, so they close it. Discussions like these that come up in forums sometimes take on a life of their own beyond the original poster, and I feel should be able to naturally evolve as the conversation continues. Even if the original poster has "no more use" for continuing the thread, perhaps others may still be interested in the topic, or maybe some time later, someone new will come along with something useful to add. I have never seen it used like it is used in this forum where people will merely say: "please close thread" as if to say to future would-be posters: "We've said all there is to say about this, please refrain from talking about it any further, your contribution is unwanted."

I'm not saying that there aren't certain instances in which threads need to be locked, but most other internet forums use it only as a last resort. More than once I've come across threads here that I've had something to add only to find a locked thread that really didn't seem to me to need to be locked. If a thread isn't causing harm in some way, why does it need to be locked?

And aside from locked threads, what is wrong resurrecting old threads in general? If a question was asked and answered in 2008, and someone new comes along and has something to say on the topic, isn't it preferable that they continue the old discussion, benefiting and building upon the previous wisdom already offered rather than starting from scratch every time a recurring question gets repeatedly asked again and again by another newbie?

Well, a long long time ago in these threads, the OP was able to lock their own thread. After that changed, I guess it just got to be a polite thing for the mods to lock a thread when the OP requested it, as long as it was a reasonable request.

That ability was taken away because often a moderator would lock the thread, but the OP would sometimes open it back up to add more.

Bumped threads can cause confusion when someone's post from 7 years ago gets answered by multiple people.

A thread being locked at the OP's request doesn't prevent someone from starting a new thread on the topic.

That's my point, what's the benefit of answering the same question again from the beginning and starting back at square one, when instead you could build upon what's already been discussed?

A thread being locked at the OP's request doesn't prevent someone from starting a new thread on the topic.

That's my point, what's the benefit of answering the same question again from the beginning and starting back at square one, when instead you could build upon what's already been discussed?

I asked about this once and was told that people repeat the comments because when the ancient thread is revived, no one reads through the prior 10pages. That said, there are many old threads that can be bumped and commented on. Have a good reason to do so - I bumped one and then Keystone locked it because the thread was "improvidently bumped." You just need to get a feel for the unwtitten rules - which are more liberal in the Off Topic forum.

I asked about this once and was told that people repeat the comments because when the ancient thread is revived, no one reads through the prior 10pages. That said, there are many old threads that can be bumped and commented on. Have a good reason to do so - I bumped one and then Keystone locked it because the thread was "improvidently bumped." You just need to get a feel for the unwtitten rules - which are more liberal in the Off Topic forum.

Dude, I think we have a different recollection of some of your bumped threads. I'm not remembering any "good reasons" for them to be bumped. :P

It is true, out of all the forums I've ever hung out at over the years, and I'm going back to the late 90's, this is the only one I've ever seen where zombie threads get bumped on a consistent basis. And many of those forums are and have been as busy as this one, with as big of an archive. Never did figure that one out.

Dude, I think we have a different recollection of some of your bumped threads. I'm not remembering any "good reasons" for them to be bumped. :P

Yep.

Just two weeks ago a 5 year old thread was bumped. The poster was on topic and his post fit.

- Wouldn't you know the next two posts were about the "zombie" bump and not about his positive, on-topic post...

Big difference than bringing back an old thread just to leave a joke.

Yep.

Just two weeks ago a 5 year old thread was bumped. The poster was on topic and his post fit.

- Wouldn't you know the next two posts were about the "zombie" bump and not about his positive, on-topic post...

Big difference than bringing back an old thread just to leave a joke.

Right - so I learned the point and was passing along my experience. This OP has some of the same questions about bumping that I had. These are unwritten rules you don't pick up immediately

Edited by wmpastor

It is true, out of all the forums I've ever hung out at over the years, and I'm going back to the late 90's, this is the only one I've ever seen where zombie threads get bumped on a consistent basis. And many of those forums are and have been as busy as this one, with as big of an archive. Never did figure that one out.

Really, I see thread get bumped on all sorts of forum. Although I also see many forums that automatically lock threads after a certain period of in activity.

One think I see here is that the same topics keep coming up and someone will link to the old thread. Then people start posting there instead of using the new thread and we get two or three active threads on the same topic and conversations that jump from one thread to another. Sometime the mods will merge threads and sometimes they will lock the old one.

The OP isn't talking about zombie threads though but rather why the OP can ask a moderated to close a thread. I think this was answered in post #3. Still, I've encountered this when composing one of my long Toz responses and find that the thread was locked while I was writing :ph34r: Then the question is what to do with my work. Do I start a new thread? Do I save it for the next time the topic comes up? Or do I just forget it?

Some of the issues debated and points raised in an old thread could be obsolete or universally rejected by now. Or the people espousing them could have different opinions now. If you have something to add or more to ask, better to start fresh, capturing what you want to discuss without worrying about context of the old historical conversation. That conversation made you think of whatever if is you wanted to add, but it shouldn't be the point of your post. Worst case, you could add a link to the old thread, but I'd encourage viewing your new comment as a standalone discussion.