Hide This?

JohnCNA

How long has "Hide This" been available for souvenirs? I never cared for the 31 days of... souvenirs from last year and did not realize I could hide those that I do not care about.

I am pretty sure that it was available shortly after the 31 days of souvenirs last August. I hide 3-4 or those August souvenirs for the days I found caches that month but kept the 3 new State souvenirs where I found them. Coincidentally, I'll be doing the same thing next month when I hope to add a new state souvenir. I'd like to add a new country souvenir but there isn't one available for finding a cache in Mexico.

How long has "Hide This" been available for souvenirs? I never cared for the 31 days of... souvenirs from last year and did not realize I could hide those that I do not care about.

I am pretty sure that it was available shortly after the 31 days of souvenirs last August. I hide 3-4 or those August souvenirs for the days I found caches that month but kept the 3 new State souvenirs where I found them. Coincidentally, I'll be doing the same thing next month when I hope to add a new state souvenir. I'd like to add a new country souvenir but there isn't one available for finding a cache in Mexico.

Yah, I found a Mexico cache back in May and was surprised there was no Souvenir, you'd think with Mexico as Amaericas other border it would have been one of the firsts.

Edited by Roman!

Nice. I'm glad I stumbled across that the other day. I did the same thing - hid the '31 days' souvenirs that I didn't care about and left the rest.

Guess I don't really "get" why it matters if the souvenir shows up. How often do you even LOOK at the souvenir tab? How does that even bother people?

Maybe it doesn't matter to you (in that case, don't open the souvenir tab) but apparently enough people cared, and spoke about it, that GS spent some development time to give those that want it, the option of hiding specific souvenirs on their page. A souvenir is, by definition, a token of remembrance. Looking at my souvenir page and seeing the one for Japan or South Africa, I recall finding my first cache in those countries. I had a great time a couple of years ago (one of my most enjoyable days geocaching) at the WWFM in Zurich and have a souvenir for it on my souvenirs tab. In a couple of years, how many people are going to remember or even care about the first traditional cache they found in August 2014.

For some geocachers souvenirs *do* matter, and the the types of souvenirs they collect matter. It's yet another, and equally viable way that some choose play the game.

Guess I don't really "get" why it matters if the souvenir shows up. How often do you even LOOK at the souvenir tab? How does that even bother people?

I feel pretty much the same way you do about souvenirs, JG, and I probably wouldn't even enable them if there were such an option, but since the feature is available, and the "August" souvenirs came alphabetically first yet had zero value to me, I hid them all.

Yah, I found a Mexico cache back in May and was surprised there was no Souvenir, you'd think with Mexico as Amaericas other border it would have been one of the firsts.

Yep. Many countries sadly do not have souvenirs. When I went to Taiwan and found caches, I did not receive a souvenir. That's why I usually use BadgeGen, where you get a badge for every country you find caches in.

I haven't looked at badgegen for souvenirs but I've wondered if the people at project-gc.com have thought about managing country based souvenirs for all of the official GS countries/territories. Their base maps for showing which countries (with shading to indicate the relative number of finds) one has found a cache in a vastly superior to the statistical maps on the Statistics page.

I've found caches in 11 countries where a souvenir is not available.