How do I download caches to my new Garmin Oregon 600

Abelwoman

Hi All!

I just bought my first "big girl" GPS for geocaching, and I am wanting to download the caches in my area (or any area for that matter) to my new Garmin Oregon 600. I have created a pocket quarry of the surrounding caches, but have no idea how to download them to my GPS. I am looking for step by step instructions to download them.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

If you got the PQ in a Zip file, unzip it and place the two gpx files in the Garmin/GPX folder either in internal memory or on the card. For the card create the Garmin/GPX folder first.

Thank you for this info. I did save the PQ. It automatically chose to save it to my PC. When I try to open it, it automatically tries to open it in GSAK. I think that I need a more step by step way. As in 1. connect cord to GPS 2. ect ect. :-)

Ah, Ok. Open GSAK and go to File/Load GPX/LOC/ZIPand point to where you saved your PQ. GSAK as I'm sure you know can then let you sort, edit, customize your output, etc. When you have connected your Oregon to the PC go to File/Export/GPX/LOC File/ and click on Generate.

Having GSAK you should take a look at the garminexport macro and sendimagestogarmin ùacro. The first will allow you to export in GGZ format (can contain more caches than GPX) + export the additional WPs as POI (avoids cluttering up the WP list) and if you grabbed images you can export them to your GPS using the second macro.

OK, you have a PQ, and you have GSAK. If your asking how to get the PQ to your GPSr, I assume you are still learning GSAK also?

Which operating system are you using on your PC?

Simple answer: Right click the PQ file and 'unzip' if it is zipped. Now, the (unzipped) PQ folder will have two GPX files inside. Copy those GPX files to the \Garmin\GPX\ directory (on your GPSr).

OK, you have a PQ, and you have GSAK. If your asking how to get the PQ to your GPSr, I assume you are still learning GSAK also?

Which operating system are you using on your PC?

Having GSAK >>> Windows <_<

Ya think?

I wanted to know which version so I could ascertain if they needed to unzip the PQ download manually.

Oh, and BTW, I know some GSAK users that run it on Macs....

So.... Thanks.

Edited by Atlas Cached

I wanted to know which version so I could ascertain if they needed to unzip the PQ download manually.

Having GSAK, there's no need to unzip. Just download the PQ(s) from within GSAK.

Oh, and BTW, I know some GSAK users that run it on Macs....

So do I.

So.... Thanks.

You're welcome.

Having GSAK, there's no need to unzip. Just download the PQ(s) from within GSAK.

The OP question was not how to use GSAK. The OP stated:

I have created a pocket quarry of the surrounding caches, but have no idea how to download them to my GPS. I am looking for step by step instructions to download them.

Ah, Ok. Open GSAK and go to File/Load GPX/LOC/ZIPand point to where you saved your PQ. GSAK as I'm sure you know can then let you sort, edit, customize your output, etc. When you have connected your Oregon to the PC go to File/Export/GPX/LOC File/ and click on Generate.

That is convoluted....and does give the best results for a new device like a 600.

If you are going to use GSAK...

1) Double click on ZIP file and it will then import into GSAK. Or drag and drop the ZIP file to GSAK.

2) Make sure you have the Oregon 600 chosen under the GPS tab.

3) GPS/Send waypoints. Done.

1) Double click on ZIP file and it will then import into GSAK. Or drag and drop the ZIP file to GSAK.

Better: In GSAK >> Menu "geocaching.com" >> download pocket queries

Select the PQ(s) you want >> OK (New PQs are automatically selected)

PQ(s) are automatically downloaded and added to the database.