Question on Groundspeak 50 codes?

mystphyre

I am new to this forum and to geocaching. The question I am asking is that I noticed that I can buy tracking codes @ 1.50 for a group of 50 codes from Groundspeak. Do these codes if I purchase them have to come on a certain tag? Or can I have the codes sent to me on stickers that I can then place upon something that I have made? I know one can get Code talkers for this, but the price is a bit more than buying an actual tag. I have tried to find an answer to this and have found nothing.

I am new to this forum and to geocaching. The question I am asking is that I noticed that I can buy tracking codes @ 1.50 for a group of 50 codes from Groundspeak. Do these codes if I purchase them have to come on a certain tag? Or can I have the codes sent to me on stickers that I can then place upon something that I have made? I know one can get Code talkers for this, but the price is a bit more than buying an actual tag. I have tried to find an answer to this and have found nothing.

The reason you pay more when you buy a coin or travel bug is that you're buying a coin or travel bug. These are literally just the codes- emailed to you. But you can just buy them and use them. These are for geocoins and such. And each design has to be approved by Groundspeak. That $1.50 for the code is only about 10% of what you pay for a coin-expect to pay $1000-1400 easily for 100 coins (the minimum that most manufacturers will do) to be made. If you'll want to do that the great. If you don't want that many, you're better off buying a TB or cheap tag and using the number on something else. T-shirt, brick, fridge door, car, tattoo.

Are you trying to get a lot of tracking numbers to use on a lot of different trackables?

If you are just trying to get a handful of numbers to use on a small amount of trackables, you are better off just buying some Travel Bugs. They come with the number imprinted, so you can attach them to anything you want to travel. Or you can use the number on anything you want to...a tshirt, your car, whatever you'd like to use it on. The 50 number minimum is generally used by those who are creating geocoins and buy a block of numbers to have imprinted on the coins. And, as was previously mentioned, making the coins can be really expensive.