Release Notes (Geocaching® app for Android: Clustering, Map a List) - June 9, 2016

Release Notes - June 9, 2016

Geocaching® Android App

With this release (4.2.1), we have cleaned up the map to make searching for geocaches even easier, as well as added the ability to view your geocache lists on the map.

Clustering

•  

• When zoomed out on the map, caches are now clustered. The clusters break up as you zoom in. Eventually, they break apart completely and the map displays all caches individually.

• The result is a much cleaner look. Just as important is that clustering addresses performance concerns which arose when mapping a list. Which happens to be the next new feature...

86afcbde-ef18-41e6-aed7-7d92adcbe86e.jpgc8484f1c-634c-4e61-8570-54088dd91f6d.jpg

Map a List

•  

• One of the most requested features has arrived!

• Simply go to the My Lists tab, then tap the icon to the right of the list name. (You could also choose the list and then tap the map icon at the top of the individual lists’s screen.)

Other updates

•  

• Charter Members’ titles are now accurately displayed on their Profile pages. Previously, the only titles were Member and Premium Member.

• Shop Geocaching is now accessible in Canada. Previously, it was available only in the U.S.

The Mobile Team will watch this thread and answer questions when possible.

Any questions/comments should be related to features in this release. Any unrelated comments should be directed to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

It's nice to see more development of the Android app. Will be great to be able to see lists in a Map view. Will the Map view work when offline and using Offline Lists?

Incidentally, it appears the screenshots in this Android announcement are iPhone images. It would be great for the Android announcements to include screenshots of the Android UI.

Thanks!

It's nice to see more development of the Android app. Will be great to be able to see lists in a Map view. Will the Map view work when offline and using Offline Lists?

No, offline mapping is a different thing. It's on the roadmap, though.

Incidentally, it appears the screenshots in this Android announcement are iPhone images. It would be great for the Android announcements to include screenshots of the Android UI.

We'll look at doing that next time. It's mostly just a function of the person doing the screenshots in this case being an iPhone user and not having easy access to an Android. If the views between the apps are significantly different, then we'll be sure to do separate shots.

This version with the clustering was just released to me yesterday on my iPhone. I had heard about a week or so ago that others were talking about the app having the clustering. I'm assuming they had Android phones and it was already available to them last week.

Edited by Sherminator18

Hi can anyone tell me if the SEND LATER option will return when logging a cache

It was so much easier as I could log the caches as found and upload the finds when I got home using the wifi - it doesn't seem to be on there at the moment, This was a great function while doing loops as I'm on a pay as you go phone

Please put this function back on as its eating up my credit

It was so much easier as I could log the caches as found and upload the finds when I got home using the wifi - it doesn't seem to be on there at the moment, This was a great function while doing loops as I'm on a pay as you go phone

How about get a list of caches, or write down the names and comments then when you get home manually log them into the site.

How about get a list of caches, or write down the names and comments then when you get home manually log them into the site.

The function to save logs for later was a capability of the previous "paid app" There are still a lot of features that were in the paid app that aren't in the new official Geocaching app.

by that argument, why use an app at all?

simply right down all the coords on a piece of paper and use the sun, moon and stars to try and find the cache. :rolleyes:

Well if you don't know what caches are near you you can look up the information but then if you find it just make a note of which ones you found, whether or not you used the app, thats what I do.

I'm afraid that between the new app's lack of functionality and the paid app's inability to show corrected coords on the map, you've lost me to c:geo. At least with that when I look at the live map any puzzles I've solved show up at the corrected coords so I know if I'm passing one. It also shows the distance to go in a slighter larger font so I don't have to stop and hunt for the information before moving off. This us especially useful when driving to the next caching spot.

Release Notes - June 9, 2016

Geocaching® Android App

With this release (4.2.1), we have cleaned up the map to make searching for geocaches even easier, as well as added the ability to view your geocache lists on the map.

Clustering

•  
  • When zoomed out on the map, caches are now clustered. The clusters break up as you zoom in. Eventually, they break apart completely and the map displays all caches individually.

• The result is a much cleaner look. Just as important is that clustering addresses performance concerns which arose when mapping a list. Which happens to be the next new feature...

86afcbde-ef18-41e6-aed7-7d92adcbe86e.jpgc8484f1c-634c-4e61-8570-54088dd91f6d.jpg

PLEASE fix the app so I can turn the clustering feature off!!! I absolutely hate it, as it does not work for me the way I cache. I need to see all caches in a wide area - this is part of the reason that although I bought the old paid app, I never used it because the mapped area was too small and I couldn't see all the local caches. This "feature" is NOT an improvement, I wish you'd all stop talking like it is. I am on the verge of cancelling my premium membership and either giving up the hobby or going with c:geo - no sense in paying for something I can't use. (So don't tell me about the other new features - they mean squat to me, since I can't use the map.)

Edited by JungleFritz

This is exactly what field notes do...without the hassle of you having to write anything down. The app uploads the field note to the site, with the date and time that you found the cache along with any notes you entered while in the field. Then you can write up your log when you return home.

For how I use the app, I really like this version of the app. I'm just waiting for field notes to be added to make the switch to the Geocaching app as my primary caching app. I was hoping that that would've been part of this update.

This is exactly what field notes do...without the hassle of you having to write anything down. The app uploads the field note to the site, with the date and time that you found the cache along with any notes you entered while in the field. Then you can write up your log when you return home.

For how I use the app, I really like this version of the app. I'm just waiting for field notes to be added to make the switch to the Geocaching app as my primary caching app. I was hoping that that would've been part of this update.

It's also missing important bits as Attributes and the ability to give Favoritepoints, and even tb logging, and a cache owner can't do on the "fly" maintenece logs, until he's home by a computer......

Hate it Hate it HATE it! GRRRR What have you done!

1.I hate the clustering! Its Horrible.. Please at the very least put in a turn off function.. and then monitor it.. when most folks turn it off.. then remove it completely!

2. Favourite points.. Impossible to do while caching.. now I have to make a physical Paper note.. to send them when i get home.. OR.. log onto the website version.. while out using the APP.. WHY!!!!!

3. TBs.. picked one up today.. could I work out how to show I had done so... NO. I thought i must have missed something.. but once home I sat and double checked.. and I am still none the wiser.. had to log on the PC..

4. The new layout for each cache is clunky. I now have to look at several screens to see what i could see on one screen on in the last version.. this is NOT streamlining.. this is MAKING IT HARDER TO USE! Please try and remember that we are out in all weather in fields up to our arm pits in Mud and horseflies.. we what to see things at a GLANCE.. not three clicks..

Sort it out GC.. or you will lose me from your payment plan.. Your going backwards this time for the most part.. the ONLY thing I like is the list are synced. Although I do now have 3 that I cannot delete at all form my phone.. ( And yes I worked out how they should be deleted.. but they do not even have the option to delete in the 3 dots options.)

Hate it Hate it HATE it! GRRRR What have you done!

1.I hate the clustering! Its Horrible.. Please at the very least put in a turn off function.. and then monitor it.. when most folks turn it off.. then remove it completely!

2. Favourite points.. Impossible to do while caching.. now I have to make a physical Paper note.. to send them when i get home.. OR.. log onto the website version.. while out using the APP.. WHY!!!!!

3. TBs.. picked one up today.. could I work out how to show I had done so... NO. I thought i must have missed something.. but once home I sat and double checked.. and I am still none the wiser.. had to log on the PC..

4. The new layout for each cache is clunky. I now have to look at several screens to see what i could see on one screen on in the last version.. this is NOT streamlining.. this is MAKING IT HARDER TO USE! Please try and remember that we are out in all weather in fields up to our arm pits in Mud and horseflies.. we what to see things at a GLANCE.. not three clicks..

Sort it out GC.. or you will lose me from your payment plan.. Your going backwards this time for the most part.. the ONLY thing I like is the list are synced. Although I do now have 3 that I cannot delete at all form my phone.. ( And yes I worked out how they should be deleted.. but they do not even have the option to delete in the 3 dots options.)

It's also missing the ability to change the date of the log. Since people are submitted their logs days after doing their log in the app, it submits it as found for the day they finally submitted their log! This is so annoying!

I really dislike the new app, and was even sadder, today, to discover that the old app no longer works. We were out caching today and I could NOT figure out how to get to the map showing me how far I was from the cache. And when it finally came up, the writing was so teeny, I could hardly read it. PLEASE give us the option of the old paid app. It wasn't broken (in our opinion), so why did it need fixing? We used it every single day. [:(]

I really dislike the new app, and was even sadder, today, to discover that the old app no longer works. We were out caching today and I could NOT figure out how to get to the map showing me how far I was from the cache. And when it finally came up, the writing was so teeny, I could hardly read it. PLEASE give us the option of the old paid app. It wasn't broken (in our opinion), so why did it need fixing? We used it every single day. [:(]

Hm, the paid app still works for me...

Could you tell me is this the app, that gives the locations of the geocaches without even being a member or logging in to geocache.com. I made all my caches premium members only, And we still have the thieves stealing the coins and travel bugs. It might not give the cords to non-members but the map is what gets them to the cache.

Could you tell me is this the app, that gives the locations of the geocaches without even being a member or logging in to geocache.com. I made all my caches premium members only, And we still have the thieves stealing the coins and travel bugs. It might not give the cords to non-members but the map is what gets them to the cache.

The map doesn't zoom close enough to figure where a cache is located.

- And of course it couldn't be premium members taking trackables... :rolleyes:

reason I'm asking my daughter was finding them before I got her to become a premium member. I just hate it when caches are taken and usually if it is an ammo box they all have disappeared . Some of them put the contents

in a plastic container. Which that's fine. I have found out that since I got back into geocaching, there is very little Etiquette used anymore . Things sure have changed Thanks for the reply USA 45

Hm, the paid app still works for me...

ME too. In fact, it works better than the new free one.