Can you help identify the cipher on this?

fmoraes

It looks like Morse code at the top. The bottom could be substitution, or it could be enigma?

Please take a read of post #2.

yes please reread post #2 - everybody. I don't think the cache owners intend for thier puzzles to be solved in the public forums.

I did not see the solution to the puzzle.

It looks like Morse code at the top. The bottom could be substitution, or it could be enigma?

yes please reread post #2 - everybody. I don't think the cache owners intend for thier puzzles to be solved in the public forums.

So far, so good! <_<

PS: I believe it is "Wheatstone", not "Whetstone"

Have you asked the cache owner? It has long been considered "bad form" to come to the forums looking for help solving a puzzle cache

Just because it is considered "bad form" by some, obviously not all based on the other responses, doesn't mean we can't do it.

You could post the hiding method and spoiler photos of a 5* difficulty cache, too. That doesn't make it cool. Telling someone how to solve a specific puzzle is the same thing.

General puzzle help is fine. Here's a recent thread with many links to other threads and helpful sites.

Edited by Dinoprophet

For may puzzles, identifying the puzzle is it key to obtaining the solution.

When looking at any encrypted text, if you know what kind of cipher is used that can all but solve the puzzle as there are numerous online cipher solvers. Figuring out whether text is encrypted using a substitution, transposition, some sort of running key ciphers, vignere cipher, etc. is usually more than half the battle.

I am sorry you took offense to my post. Helping is not a bad thing. Some people have no clue what something is. If you cant ask for help then what do you do? Never find the Cache?

I am sorry you took offense to my post. Helping is not a bad thing. Some people have no clue what something is. If you cant ask for help then what do you do? Never find the Cache?

As he said in post #2:
Have you asked the cache owner?

As he said in post #2:
Have you asked the cache owner?

Ok I sent an email to a cache owner because I tried a Turing Bombe simulator that didnt crack his enigma cipher. It has been awhile with no reply. What am I supposed to do? Just wait until he replies, or try to find help else where?

Helping is not a bad thing. Some people have no clue what something is. If you cant ask for help then what do you do?
The problem isn't asking for help. The problem isn't offering help.

The problem is posting puzzle solutions/spoilers in a public forum like this, where they will remain online and searchable for the life of the cache. Please take discussions about the details of specific puzzle caches somewhere else, to a more private communication medium.

Surely if you can't solve a puzzle, you can't find the cache. If it is too difficult, it's too difficult.

Give it a while and come back to it with fresh eyes.

It doesn't have to be done in any set timescale.

I have several puzzle caches very close to home that I try from time to time but so far have got nowhere. They are just too tricky for me. So far.

But one day I will have a eureka moment and the puzzle will be solved.

That will be a satisfying day - much more satisfying than being given a lead on a forum. It's not a puzzle if you just have to ask someone and they tell you how to do it.

There is also a cache in a quarry - under water. You need a boat, diving gear or bravery. I have none of these so that's one cache, 7 miles from home, which I will most likely never find.

It's ok. As someone else has said, you don't have to find them all <_<

Pointers for where to go for information are appropriate for a public forum; specific answers are not. That seems completely obvious to me.

The first stage for trying to decide what a cipher is usually consists of looking at the letter frequencies. Sometimes it's useful to do "digrams" as well which are the frequencies of pairs of letters. You can compare those to the frequencies of the letters in English and often discern the cipher type.

Here's a good place to start;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_of_coincidence

This cipher is almost certainly NOT an ENIGMA cipher. It is probably a lot easier than that.

Pointers for where to go for information are appropriate for a public forum; specific answers are not. That seems completely obvious to me.

The first stage for trying to decide what a cipher is usually consists of looking at the letter frequencies. Sometimes it's useful to do "digrams" as well which are the frequencies of pairs of letters. You can compare those to the frequencies of the letters in English and often discern the cipher type.

Here's a good place to start;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_of_coincidence

This cipher is almost certainly NOT an ENIGMA cipher. It is probably a lot easier than that.

Letter frequency analysis might help for a monoalphabetic cipher but not so much for a polyalphabetic cipher. I've solved quite a few cipher puzzles and it seems to me that just knowing what kinds of ciphers exist and a basic understanding of how to solve them helps a lot. Many ciphers have identifiable characteristics that might give a clue as to what kind of cipher you/re looking at. Anyone that has solved a pigpen cipher wo0uld immediately recognize that type. Others are not so easy to recognize but just building some experience solving various types helps a lot.

For the puzzle mentioned in the OP there is one sentence in the description that provides a clue as to what type of puzzle might be used. At the very least, it should tell you what kind of cipher it's not.

I itch to create a puzzle where all the letters and the drawing and everything else on the cache page are not what they initially appear to be.

I think I'll have to do one.

'course, now I've blabbed my intent, fizzy will be a leg up on other cachers.

I don't know. Your description is pretty vague. I thought of creating one that had a series of fairly simple, recognizable ciphers/codes that once solved reveal a set of coordinates for a location where a cache could not be placed. For example, in the middle of an airport runway, or in the middle of a lake (with a terrain level of 2) and then add a coordinate checker image that links to a real coordinate checker site. The image would contain the actual coordinates using stenography.

I itch to create a puzzle where all the letters and the drawing and everything else on the cache page are not what they initially appear to be.

I think I'll have to do one.

'course, now I've blabbed my intent, fizzy will be a leg up on other cachers.

I don't know. Your description is pretty vague. I thought of creating one that had a series of fairly simple, recognizable ciphers/codes that once solved reveal a set of coordinates for a location where a cache could not be placed. For example, in the middle of an airport runway, or in the middle of a lake (with a terrain level of 2) and then add a coordinate checker image that links to a real coordinate checker site. The image would contain the actual coordinates using stenography.

Vague would be good. <_<

Steganography? It's certainly been done, but perhaps not in your neck of the woods.

I am mulling over in my head how to do a very different enigma cipher where letters become numbers, and even those are run through a cipher again. Or maybe just a multiple layer enigma text. We will have to see.

Why?

If you want an uncrackable cipher, modern ones are far superior to Enigma. I'd just use RC4. Enigma is only really interesting as an historical cipher; it is too hard to break for puzzles and it is too easy to break for serious cryptography. If your Enigma puzzle is not linked to the history, it doesn't seem like there would be any point to it.

Historically, the Enigma ciphers were only broken by using extensive cribbing. Very few were broken completely. I could be wrong, but I don't think many cachers into cryptography would find solving a contorted Enigma any fun.

I can recommend many other difficult ciphers that are much better suited to puzzles: fractionated Morse, Gromark, Foursquare, some homophonics, Playfair, etc. are all a lot more fun than Enigma.

Just because it is considered "bad form" by some, obviously not all based on the other responses, doesn't mean we can't do it.

+1

Considering you added it to your signature line, I'd suspect so. <_<

However, the 5 or so "Geocaching puzzle cheating websites" I've seen shut down over the past 7 years. and the well-known cacher I know of who got a 1 month ban for posting puzzle cache solutions to Facebook indicate you two are probably wrong on this one. :wacko:

I hate puzzle caches like this. I don't understand why anyone would WANT to plant a cache like this. The whole point is to find caches... not confuse your fellow cachers.

Frankly, i think putting caches like this out is bad form. Discussing it in forums such as this shouldn't be considered bad form. I wouldn't mind.

Repeat this to yourselves... ITS JUST A GAME!

I hate puzzle caches like this. I don't understand why anyone would WANT to plant a cache like this. The whole point is to find caches... not confuse your fellow cachers.

Frankly, i think putting caches like this out is bad form. Discussing it in forums such as this shouldn't be considered bad form. I wouldn't mind.

Yeah it's a game, so? Doesn't bother me. But apparently it bothers Frog HQ, if they've put pressure on cheating websites to be shut down for years, or banned cachers for posting puzzle solutions on facebook. Just reporting the facts, maam.

Yeah it's a game, so? Doesn't bother me. But apparently it bothers Frog HQ, if they've put pressure on cheating websites to be shut down for years, or banned cachers for posting puzzle solutions on facebook. Just reporting the facts, maam.

I wasn't responding to anyone in particular. I just think its a little silly when cachers take this game too seriously. I love it and its my favorite hobby, but it is just a game and i try to remember that rather than get offended at something.

Although, i found your post informative. Sometimes i think perhaps HQ gets a little TOO involved. I like how in Letterboxing they let the owners have a LOT more freedom. I think that's what Geocaching is missing... freedom!

Actually, the point of the game is to find the kind of caches that YOU enjoy finding, just like the other side of the coin is to HIDE the kind of caches that you enjoy finding... That ensures that everyone gets what they want, and to a certain extent, deserve. That even goes for LPC's and super evil puzzles.

Anything that spoils someones pleasure is, indeed, BAD FORM.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc
Is it difficult caches in general that you object to? Or just puzzle caches that are difficult because of the puzzle?

Sometimes, the whole point is to accomplish something difficult, whether it's difficult because of the terrain, the camouflage, the puzzle, or something else.

Is it difficult caches in general that you object to? Or just puzzle caches that are difficult because of the puzzle?

Sometimes, the whole point is to accomplish something difficult, whether it's difficult because of the terrain, the camouflage, the puzzle, or something else.

Just these types of puzzle caches that very few people want to decipher. These are the kind that have been around for 5 years and have 2 finds. I guess i just don't get it.

I love challenging caches... but not those for only the genius elite. LOL!

Just these types of puzzle caches that very few people want to decipher. These are the kind that have been around for 5 years and have 2 finds. I guess i just don't get it.

Actually, the point of the game is to find the kind of caches that YOU enjoy finding, just like the other side of the coin is to HIDE the kind of caches that you enjoy finding... That ensures that everyone gets what they want, and to a certain extent, deserve. That even goes for LPC's and super evil puzzles.

Doug 7rxc

See my response to the person above, please! <_<

Doug 7rxc

+1

All finds and hides are not the same things to all cachers. Leaping up on a soapbox to proclaim it must be otherwise is madness.

And let's clear something up here, real quick like, the Unknown Cache (8.gif) does not imply there is a puzzle to solve. The OP's example appears to be a puzzle, which must be decoded to yield a set of coordinates, there are examples where the cacher must start at the Unknown's initial coordinates and navigate to the final. And there can be hybrids, so there are effectively:

1. Desk-monkey puzzles

2. Field "puzzles"

3. Hybrids of 1 & 2

How would you feel if folks gave out the clues and answers to your puzzles and multis here in the forums?
For that matter, how would you feel if others gave out spoilers to your regular caches here? OK, some of you wouldn't mind... its under the lamp skirt or behind the guard rail, or under the pile of sticks. But you get my drift.

But that is who those most difficult puzzles were put out for. Those caches are intended to be a challenge for those that enjoy that sort of challenge. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but some of these posts make that appear to be necessary.

Ok did I post the solution anywhere? Did I tell someone how to solve it. I just answered what I believed the ciphers to be. If the Frog wants to ban me for that so be it. Then I know what the game is really about. And it wont be about community. When you see your brother needs help you help him.

How would you feel if folks gave out the clues and answers to your puzzles and multis here in the forums?
For that matter, how would you feel if others gave out spoilers to your regular caches here? OK, some of you wouldn't mind... its under the lamp skirt or behind the guard rail, or under the pile of sticks. But you get my drift.

I understand your drift. I wouldnt mind if someone said its a morse code cipher. They arent giving up the solution.

But that is who those most difficult puzzles were put out for. Those caches are intended to be a challenge for those that enjoy that sort of challenge. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but some of these posts make that appear to be necessary.

I'm just saying *i* hate caches like this and don't understand WHY you would want to put them out. As i stated before, my experience with these sort of caches is they will be out for 5 years and have two finds. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I put out caches wanting people to find them. Yes, i love putting out some challenges, just like a few i have out there with high difficulty levels and such. But i still keep them user friendly. Hey, if someone likes these kind, more power to them. But yuck... i sure don't.

Indeed. There is a thriving population of Puzzle fiends who relish pitting their wits against a new challenge, or even an old challenge with a new twist. Why deny them their opportunity to enjoy their niche? Can't stand that lone 8.gif sticking out like a sore thumb in your beautiful field of smilies? <_<

Indeed. There is a thriving population of Puzzle fiends who relish pitting their wits against a new challenge, or even an old challenge with a new twist. Why deny them their opportunity to enjoy their niche? Can't stand that lone 8.gif sticking out like a sore thumb in your beautiful field of smilies? <_<

I like solving puzzles, even those that I'll never get around to finding the cache itself.

Ok did I post the solution anywhere? Did I tell someone how to solve it. I just answered what I believed the ciphers to be. If the Frog wants to ban me for that so be it. Then I know what the game is really about. And it wont be about community. When you see your brother needs help you help him.

I know what you're saying. I wish i could help you but i steer clear of these kinds of caches. Haha!! Just not interested.

I understand your drift. I wouldnt mind if someone said its a morse code cipher. They arent giving up the solution.

Yes, they are. If it is a morse they have made it a matter of transcribing instead of figuring out what it is.