Guemes Getaway

GrievousAngel

:anitongue: HOW WAS THE EVENT!!

Did everyone have fun?? Did the weather hold out for you?

It was very windy and felt quite cold, but we did not get any rain at all. We had two brave cyclists and a dozen or so who came in cars/trrucks Everyone found all .the caches and we met some really cool people. It must be seasonal--not a single seastar or jelly fish on the beach, though. Guemes is a nice place for a day of caching with a nice variety of caches--no LPCs, though!

Wish you'd been able to come!

--Kathy.

Ditto what he said.

Thanks, guys.

As I said above, I highly recommend a caching day on Guemes. I've posted the caches on the 48 North Chapter PAGE (not group) on Facebook for anyone interested in planning their own day out.

As for Ireland, while I wish I didn't have to miss the cache machine and summer (which I believe will fall in July this year,) I'm super excited to be able to learn Irish in Ireland, and very grateful to everyone who bought losing tickets for the Irish Lottery. The funds generated from the lottery go to a number of worthy educational causes, including giving me a scholarship to pay for my tuition and lodging in Gleann Cholm Cille in southwestern Donegal.

And as for caching, well, that probably won't be a big part of my summer. I'll be at approximately N 54° 42.450 W 008° 44.100, and there is 1 (one) cache within a mile of the place! It really is isolated on the far western coast in a wild and beautiful (but not cache-rich) area. Of the closest caches, a disproportionate number are 4- and 5-star terrain--probably because of the high (2000') sea cliffs in the area. Nope, don't think I'll be getting any of those!

I'm leaving at the beginning of June and returning in mid-August. I'll probably organize one more easy hike--maybe to that area north of Sultan where you, Jeff, Penny and I went last year, Greg--before I go, maybe even next weekend it the weather looks okay. It's totally dog- and kid-friendly, and should be doable by almost anyone.

Tchifid mé sibh! (That's Irish for See you!)

:anitongue: HOW WAS THE EVENT!!

Did everyone have fun?? Did the weather hold out for you?

It was very windy and felt quite cold, but we did not get any rain at all. We had two brave cyclists and a dozen or so who came in cars/trrucks Everyone found all .the caches and we met some really cool people. It must be seasonal--not a single seastar or jelly fish on the beach, though. Guemes is a nice place for a day of caching with a nice variety of caches--no LPCs, though!

Wish you'd been able to come!

--Kathy.

Sorry I missed this!! It sounds like a lot of fun!

Perhaps another time.

Seastars disappearing is a problem.

The problem started down in CA I've heard, where they said they were melting.

I went to Coupeville on Whidbey Island last winter where there were TONS of starfish/ seastars. This year I went in the same month and was only able to find about 4. Coupeville is in an area that is really rich in nutrients (according to the local cache pages) so it has more sea life than most places. I was really shocked to find the star fish all gone this year.