Bug in Favorite Point allocation?

baer2006

Hi,

as we all know, the total count of available Favorite Points increases by 1 for every 10 "Found it" logs. Triggered by a posting in another thread, I wanted to know what happens, when I log a cache as found, then delete that find log, and log a new find log.

I started with this:

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 9

Total Favorite Points: 1386

Then I logged "finds" on two of my own archived caches. The status changed to:

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 7

Then I deleted the two bogus finds. The FP counters were not changed! I.e., I still needed only 7 logs for the next FP.

That was yesterday. Today, I logged 6 regular finds, so I was at:

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 1

Today someone mentioned that the find logs on my own caches shouldn't have changed the FP counter in the first place: In https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=287 , it says: "Finds on geocaches that you own are also not included." Now I was curious, and wanted to test if the system worked when I log caches of other COs. So I picked two caches, which have been archived since more than 6 years, have 0 watchers and inactive owners. After I logged both as found, the stats were as expected:

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 9

Total Favorite Points: 1387

Of course I deleted the finds afterwards, but again the FP counters didn't change! So in the end, the whole experiment brought me a net gain of 0.4 FP, with no change in my cache find count. This sure looks like a bug to me ;) . In fact, there are apparently two bugs:

- If I log a find on my own cache, it counts as 0.1 FP, even though it shouldn't.

- If I delete a find, the 0.1 FP awarded for that find are not revoked.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are cachers, who don't shy away from posting and then deleting 1000 bogus find logs, just to get 100 extra FP :( .

Regards

baer2006

I wouldn't be surprised if there are cachers, who don't shy away from posting and then deleting 1000 bogus find logs, just to get 100 extra FP :( .

Regards

baer2006

Really? You think there are actually multiple people that have that kind of time and values about how they spend their lives?

What will they do with their treasure trove of 100 extra FPs?