Website Down?

sloth96

The time is 2:59 AM in Seattle now, probably why they're not communicating that much right now.

I can imagine that they have a 24/7 monitoring system AND a technician standby?

Probably. But his or her priority is to get the system running smoothly again, not answer the angry mob on the forums. As it should be.

Probably. But his or her priority is to get the system running smoothly again, not answer the angry mob on the forums. As it should be.

Wrong! Communication is important. Just a single tweet, facebook update or forum post: "We're experiencing problems right now, but we're working on it". Now we're guessing they're working on it, right?

No matter what link I follow from my profile (which stays open 24/7 in a tab in FF/Win7) I always get the loginscreen but nothing else (no error messages). Same goes for FF in Android.

PQs and website were fine @7:00 UTC.

API is out too.

Edited by on4bam

Wrong! Communication is important. Just a single tweet, facebook update or forum post: "We're experiencing problems right now, but we're working on it". Now we're guessing they're working on it, right?

And you're guessing that every single lackey have access to the company Facebook and Twitter accounts. What if the technician, that have to get up in the middle of the night to fix this, doesn't have access to any of those? Maybe the marketing department handles all social media?

This isn't the first time there's been issues in the middle of the night Seattle time (all websites have issues. Even 99.9% uptime allows 8 hours and 45 minutes downtime per year).

But they've always fixed the issues. So even though we're guessing, it's not hard to guess that they are working on the issue.

"No no, don't get the server restarted, spend some time on face book and twitter first!"

:D

They could have both a technician, and a social media expert on duty 24/7. But that would be a waste of time and money...

1 Million subscribers x 30$, I think they can afford that... and some more

1 Million subscribers x 30$, I think they can afford that... and some more

Where do you get that number from? I still think that keeping a social media expert on duty 24/ is a waste of money...

Fanboys :rolleyes:

Laughable. I just happen to know what it's like to have a lot of people relying on a service. Every second counts.

And YAY it's back. :)

I guess you get a better understanding of this if you actually have had to get up in the middle of the night to fix server issues yourself...

Working for me as well

I guess you get a better understanding of this if you actually have had to get up in the middle of the night to fix server issues yourself...

I work in IT so I understand it (although I don't work in on-call service). On the other hand this is a reocurring problem (we've seen the exact issue before) so someone should do an RCA and prevent it in future.

Engineers were working on it an hour and a half ago, as soon as the system paged them. Thankfully, we have an automatic paging system that is able to detect most site problems now. But it can still be useful to hear from the community about what specific error they are receiving. In this case, the engineers were busy working on it, but no one was awake to report in this thread.

All systems are working again. Thanks for your patience. Now you can get out and go geocaching!

Engineers were working on it an hour and a half ago, as soon as the system paged them. Thankfully, we have automatic an paging system that is able to detect most site problems now. But it can still be useful to hear from the community about what specific error they are receiving. In this case, the engineers were busy working on it, but no one was awake to report in this thread.

All systems are working again. Thanks for your patience. Now you can get out and go geocaching!

It is great to hear that the automated system caught an issue and had folks on it.

Engineers were working on it an hour and a half ago, as soon as the system paged them. Thankfully, we have automatic an paging system that is able to detect most site problems now. But it can still be useful to hear from the community about what specific error they are receiving. In this case, the engineers were busy working on it, but no one was awake to report in this thread.

Thank you for posting at 4:26 in the morning to keep the community informed.

"No no, don't get the server restarted, spend some time on face book and twitter first!"

:D

They could have both a technician, and a social media expert on duty 24/7. But that would be a waste of time and money...

Agreed. I for one don't want dues to increase by fifty cents to cover 24/7 hospital-grade or military-grade instantaneous IT support and social network minute-by-minute updates.

A short wait harms no one and the response-time was great. Well done, GS!