download unzipped GPX files to computer

oldgala

How do I read unzipped GPX files and download them to my computer. What program will read these files? I used Adobe but it did not work...help :rolleyes:

http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/default.aspx

GPX is not readable. GPX is way point data in XML format. EasyGPS makes them readable. You can map them with Google Earth or a GPS.

My e-mail program only likes zipped gpx files for some reason.

What GPS do you have? You can download GPX files directly to some of them.

I know Garmins mapsource will open them but not give you full details, they just show up on the map and have a little info. I use GSAK for opening and managing my GPX files. It will give you basically everything on the web page and you can use it to put caches onto most GPSr's. You could also download them to google earth, but again can only view their locations on a map.

There are other programs out there but I am not familiar with them since I have only used GSAK to manage them. Good luck and hopefully someone has more info for you.

GPX is not readable. GPX is way point data in XML format. EasyGPS makes them readable. You can map them with Google Earth or a GPS.

Depending on what you mean by "readable". GPX, which is XML as you pointed out, is merely a text file. The data is tagged for machine processing.

GSAK is probably the most powerful application for dealing with GPX files. Depending on what you need it for, it may be overkill, however. It's Windows only. There's MacCaching on Macs, but I have no experience with it.