So many trashed caches in my area

LuLoo

Howdy,

This is just more a venting post than anything else, I'm afraid. I just looked into going caching with my kids in which I filter a search for a 15 mile radius around my home with no micros. Because I'm going out with the kids I take more time to plan my outing which includes reading the first couple of logs to see what kind of condition the caches are actually in. So, this morning while clicking on all of our "unfounds" in the area every single one of them has slimy/mushy/soaked log books and/or has been fixed by duct tape or one even stated that it's just a baggie at the bottom of the tree. What????? I was introduced to Geocaching in 2001 by my brother while living in Arizona. (yes, this current profile does not reflect this. It is in fact my 2nd profile) And I am happy to see the massive growth over the years. I think it's cool! However, it seems over the past several year especially, at least in my area, that cache owners don't seem to care or get caught up in the newness of the sport then die out never to take care of their caches again.

I've thought over the years of hiding my own cache but really I'm a seeker not a hider and I've never wanted the responsibility that can come with maintaining a cache. A responsibility that others here seem not to care about. I have replaced many logs in the past and fixed several caches the best I could but if I went out today I would have to replace EVERY logbook and fix EVERY cache that we found. I'm so disappointed. I want my kids to be as excited about caching as I am but how do I sell a sport where we are literally finding trash in the woods?

Thank you for listening to my vent. Cache on and prosper my friends.

Time to start posting NMs then NAs. If there already are NMs on the logs with no response from the owners (I usually wait a month after an NM) post an NA. If the cache owner is still active the NA log almost always gets their attention. If they are not active, the reviewer wil eventually archive the cache. I personally feel strongly about taking pride in local caches. Having a city that is welcoming to geocachers with caches in good order is good for your city's reputation.

I have often gone back and removed the junk after a cache I have NA'd gets archived. I leave a note letting the owner know it's gone and in my garage. They have one month to contact me to arrange a return of their container. After the one month period it gets trashed. No one has ever contacted me. A couple I tossed immediately because they were broken and so gross with slime or mood I didn't want them in my garage. I noted it in my log.

What LoneR said. For some reason, people seem to be afraid of posting NMs (and appropriate NAs) these days.

The NMs (Need Maintenance) logs just go to the cache owner, although reviewers can do searches for caches with NM logs that haven't been removed by the CO. NA (Needs to be Archived) logs do go to both the cache owner, and the reviewers. Obviously, the reviewer than uses their own discretion on whether or not to archive the cache, so please don't feel like the "cache police" just because you post one. The reviewer is the cache police.

Regarding children and micros, however... I know of one family that tells their young kids that they are "looking for a fairy" when they are caching for micros... the kids LOVE it. Its also a way to teach them that bigger isn't necessarily better, that good things can come in small packages, and that its not all about the "stuff". All good life-lessons.

Howdy all,

Thank you for the responses! Most of the caches I did look had NM but no further action was taken. And I promise I don't feel like the cache police! I've put up my share of NMs :)

I like the point that keeping local caches in good shape can attract folks to the area. I've never really thought of it that way. Awesome point!

Thanks again!

I've thought over the years of hiding my own cache but really I'm a seeker not a hider and I've never wanted the responsibility that can come with maintaining a cache. A responsibility that others here seem not to care about. I have replaced many logs in the past and fixed several caches the best I could but if I went out today I would have to replace EVERY logbook and fix EVERY cache that we found. I'm so disappointed. I want my kids to be as excited about caching as I am but how do I sell a sport where we are literally finding trash in the woods?

At the risk of stating the obvious...

Read what you've written here and then imagine that every other cacher in your area feels exactly the same way you do, and how that would lead to precisely the experience you're having.

Decent, well maintained caches' don't magically spring up by themselves - people need to hide them and take on the responsibility of maintaining them.

There is one big problem with NA. You can trigger cache archival with NA log, which is perfectly OK when the container is missing, but when the container is there, you've turned the cache into the trash which will nobody take care off...

I think it would be more appropriate to remove the damaged cache if it's archived, but then, you must live near to that cache to do that.

I wouldn't have doubt by broken containers and by micros, but when the container is OK and only the logbook is full or wet, it's another case. Removing someone's container only because the logbook is broken is something I wouldn't do myself.

So it's OK to replace a full or wet log? I'm new to geocaching and attended a class where the instructor said never to replace a log or repair a container, that responsibility belongs to the CO. The logs for caches in our area ALL seem to say log full or wet. I'd be happy to fix them (once I find them!)

If you're trying to get your kids excited by focusing on the contents of the cache, be prepared for disappointment. Cache containers and their contents, despite our best efforts, degrade over time.

Speaking from experience as a geo-parent, you'll be way more successful at getting kids on board if you make it about the experience of going to cool places, searching for clever hides, and that sense of pride and success when you put your name down in the logbook.

If swag is what you are going for, it is actually best to hit the newer regular or large caches. Some really old caches are just kept around because people need them for Jasmer nonsense. Don't dare try to archive that "bag in a tree" if is existed before 2003. :rolleyes:

Also, hide some caches within a mile of your house. Have your child check on them after they have been found a few times. Maybe someone traded something cool or interesting. You tend to get slightly better results (swag) with multicaches, puzzle caches, or traditional premium caches.

Ever since I got back into caching last year I've kind of noticed this same thing: There are lots of unmaintained caches in my area. I live near some great caching cities like Rock Hill, SC and Spartanburg, SC where the local cachers are very active and work to maintain the caches. Our city just isn't there yet, though, leading to lots of caches with maintenance problems. I agree that there is a tension that exists between being a responsible cacher who logs NM's (and NA's when needed) and appearing like a cache cop. For me, I just want every cacher who comes to my area to have the best experience possible. Whether it's a someone who just wants to see what caches exist in their area or a cacher who is driving through on a road trip, I'd hate for them to have to keep logging DNFs and NMs when their are local cachers more familiar with the area who could be maintaining caches (maintaining in the sense of posting NMs and NAs when needed, not replacing caches and such).

Just a month or two ago I noticed a cache in our area that had a note from the CO which was well over a year old that stated the cache had been removed from a nearby restaurant due to angry confrontations with the staff and cachers. No archival, no disabling, just a note. Why not just archive it?

1427117400[/url]' post='5486480']

If you're trying to get your kids excited by focusing on the contents of the cache, be prepared for disappointment. Cache containers and their contents, despite our best efforts, degrade over time.

Degradation happens. We know this when we sign up for cache ownership. It is the way of things - nothing lasts forever. Even the best containers have a lifespan. We agree to maintain our caches in a timely fashion. With regular maintenance, caches can remain quality experiences.

The stuff the OP is complaining about are abandoned ownership. Owners who do nothing. We can discourage this by logging NMs and NAs, even if the cache is still there. Go back and pick it up if you can but don't feel guilty. The guilt lies with the irresponsible CO.

A soggy moldy abandoned junk container is no fun, for adults or children. Shouldn't we, the caching community do our part and encourage well-maintained caches? Shouldn't we discourage littering? Let's encourage responsible cache ownership. As a finder I'd rather visit fewer good well-maintained caches then an area saturated with abandoned junk caches.

Edited by L0ne.R
1427117400[/url]' post='5486480']

Degradation happens. We know this when we sign up for cache ownership. It is the way of things - nothing lasts forever. Even the best containers have a lifespan. We agree to maintain our caches in a timely fashion. Caches can remain quality experiences with regular maintenance.

The stuff the OP is complaining about are abandoned ownership. Owners who do nothing. We can discourage this by logging NMs and NAs, even if the cache is still there. Go back and pick it up if you can but don't feel guilty. The guilt lies with the irresponsible CO.

A soggy moldy abandoned junk container is no fun, for adults or children. Shouldn't we, the caching community do our part and encourage well-maintained caches? Shouldn't we discourage littering? Let's encourage responsible cache ownership. As a finder I'd rather visit fewer good well-maintained caches then an area saturated with abandoned junk caches.

I'm all in favour of logging NMs and NAs when we find problems.

I'm not in favour of fussing about a damp logbook at the tail end of winter.

I probably wouldn't log an NM for this either - but I definitely would mention it in my log.

As a CO I'd rather know about potential issues with any of my caches before they become urgent problems and information like damp logbook helps me to do that.

1427124774[/url]' post='5486518']
1427124466[/url]' post='5486516']

I probably wouldn't log an NM for this either - but I definitely would mention it in my log.

As a CO I'd rather know about potential issues with any of my caches before they become urgent problems and information like damp logbook helps me to do that.

I agree.

It's an escalating scale.

Damp gets mentioned.

Soggy gets NM.

Continuously damp and quite moldy with notes in previous logs about the condition but no NMs, gets an NM.

If there are already notes and at least one NM and the profile shows the CO hasn't been on the site in months, it,gets an NA. If the CO is active (finding and/or hiding caches), it gets an NA log prefaced with 'Needs Attention'. I find active owners seem less bothered if it looks like the finder posting the NA doesn't actually want it archived.

It's an escalating scale.

Damp gets mentioned.

Soggy gets NM.

Continuously damp and quite moldy with notes in previous logs about the condition but no NMs, gets an NM.

If there are already notes and at least one NM and the profile shows the CO hasn't been on the site in months, it,gets an NA. If the CO is active (finding and/or hiding caches), it gets an NA log prefaced with 'Needs Attention'. I find active owners seem less bothered if it looks like the finder posting the NA doesn't actually want it archived.

Of course, I expect that your final decision would be based on what *you* find at the cache, with other people's logs providing a context.

While it's not ideal to find a cache in bad condition, I expect that it will happen once in a while despite everyone's best intentions, and I'm not about to let it ruin an otherwise fun outing.

And I'm certainly not going to teach children that caching is about the contents of the cache, instead of the experience.

What LoneR said. For some reason, people seem to be afraid of posting NMs (and appropriate NAs) these days.

The NMs (Need Maintenance) logs just go to the cache owner, although reviewers can do searches for caches with NM logs that haven't been removed by the CO. NA (Needs to be Archived) logs do go to both the cache owner, and the reviewers. Obviously, the reviewer than uses their own discretion on whether or not to archive the cache, so please don't feel like the "cache police" just because you post one. The reviewer is the cache police.

Regarding children and micros, however... I know of one family that tells their young kids that they are "looking for a fairy" when they are caching for micros... the kids LOVE it. Its also a way to teach them that bigger isn't necessarily better, that good things can come in small packages, and that its not all about the "stuff". All good life-lessons.

I am not afraid to put a NM if I feel it needs it. The NA ones I use a sock puppet so I don't get bothered by COs or locals. Or I go straight to the reviewer.

Edited by jellis

Thanks all! I should have been more precise in my wording. I did not want find micros that particular day because I have had a geocoin in my possession for waaaaay to long and I really wanted to place it. I went to a local park and found 3 micros that were well in tact. My 6 year old loves whatever kind of cache we find. She understands and wants to play the game to find caches not the swag. She lights up when shes the one that spies it first and its awesome! My 2 year old just wants to chase geese but I will get him on board one day :) It was a good day with my family at a local spot and I think that's what the game is about for me. Now off to find a place for this geocoin.... Cache On!

Edited by LuLoo

In my area there is a cacher who often will adopt caches like this that you've mentioned. Just the other day I logged a NA on a cache and within 20 minutes he called asking me to remove the NA so he could try to adopt the cache instead. He is responsible for several great hides that would've been lost to the archives otherwise.

It's an option if you are lucky enough to have such as cacher nearby.