Do you have this in your cache page?

My cache pages have this statement on it:

"Logging Etiquette: Geocache hiders sometimes go through a great deal of planning to place their caches. As a result, they'd like to hear your feedback on whether you liked or disliked any aspect of the hide, or if you feel that some cache maintenance is required. Single word, acronym, or emoticon logs may be easier when you have a lot of caches to log, but it doesn't tell the hider, or other finders, anything about your adventure (or lack thereof) in finding the cache. Please keep this in mind when entering your log."

Does your cache page have it too?

"Logging Etiquette: Geocache hiders sometimes go through a great deal of planning to place their caches. As a result, they'd like to hear your feedback on whether you liked or disliked any aspect of the hide, or if you feel that some cache maintenance is required. Single word, acronym, or emoticon logs may be easier when you have a lot of caches to log, but it doesn't tell the hider, or other finders, anything about your adventure (or lack thereof) in finding the cache. Please keep this in mind when entering your log."

It looks like something that you added to the cache pages for:

http://coord.info/GC5A7E0

(PS - Credit for this idea goes to wvhunter)

Logging Etiquette: Geocache hiders sometimes go through a great deal of planning to place their caches. As a result, they'd like to hear your feedback on whether you liked or disliked any aspect of the hide, or if you feel that some cache maintenance is required. Single word, acronym, or emoticon logs may be easier when you have a lot of caches to log, but it doesn't tell the hider, or other finders, anything about your adventure (or lack thereof) in finding the cache. Please keep this in mind when entering your log.

It's on this one, too, without the credit to another cacher:

http://coord.info/GC4RN82

But it's not on this cache page:

http://coord.info/GC5FJPV

it's not on the cache pages for the ones we own, because we didn't add it.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

In my opinion, a CO that puts that on their page might as well also put a multiple choice selection of 4 different logs that they want to see on their cache...in fact, maybe the finder should just email the CO that they found their cache, that way the CO can write up a log for the finder to paste into the cache page...

Definitely not. I find it to be a waste of time to worry about how other people log caches. I get plenty of useful feedback so nit-picking these so called 'lame' logs seems pointless.

Chances are, the finders logging "TFTC" aren't reading your description...

Exactly. If they're just logging something quick from their smartphones, they won't be online looking at your profile.

To answer your question, no, I don't have anything like that on my cache page. I haven't found lame logs to be too much of a problem. I still get pretty good logs on the caches that really matter to me. The other ones, not that they're bad caches, but sometimes people just can't think of anything to say or they're lazy or whatever. Fortunately I get enough decent logs to offset that.

No. I'm glad someone enjoyed my cache. I would never dream of demanding how they log it.

That wasn't demanding. It was educating and politely asking. Perhaps you need to lighten up a bit.

Please keep this in mind when entering your log."

In addition, the OP simply asked, "Does your cache page have it too?"

Edited by knowschad

If I saw something like this before logging I would probably write TFTC for the first time. Or I would ignore the cache. When I read the description, I want to know more about the area, to see if there is some reason to stop at that particular cache, to get information that might be useful. I don't want to know about logging etiquette.

I do not worry about any logs that people write for my caches. I have not placed any caches with the expectation that finders will write anything in particular. And in some ways I would rather see a single word than a cut and paste log about someone's trip. Give me something that makes me want to write a longer log for a cache and I'll do it.

Edited by geodarts

That wasn't demanding. It was educating and politely asking. Perhaps you need to lighten up a bit.

Actually, my point was precisely that the OP should lighten up.

By the way, yes, it is demanding, just in a passive-aggressive way.

Are you suggesting the OP only wanted yes/no answers? No, of course you aren't. What you're saying is that he only wanted people to answer that supported the idea.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems ironic that the OP did a copy/paste from one of their Descriptions to post a topic concerning lame log entries :laughing:

TFTFP ;)

It's just you.
No, it isn't just Touchstone. Of course, the irony would have been more enjoyable if copy-paste logs had been included in the OP's list, but when forum members complain about lame logs, someone usually includes copy-paste logs in the list, along with single-word, acronym-only, and emoticon-only logs.

Actually, my point was precisely that the OP should lighten up.

Are you suggesting the OP only wanted yes/no answers? No, of course you aren't. What you're saying is that he only wanted people to answer that supported the idea.

You are interpreting "passive-agressive". Perhaps you should look in the mirror. I see it as educating. There is no demanding there. There is nothing in that OP to invoke some of the responses here. By the way, I have the same wording on some of my caches, as does a good friend.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I do have that on some of my caches. I see it as educating cachers on etiquette. It takes a village. Those that say you should accept whatever you get are probably the same people that will drop a pill bottle in a shrub and call it a cache. Keep on educating!

Apparently, Uncle Alaska, coachstahly and myself completely misread/misunderstood the OP.

We took it to mean that the OP was confused to see that notice on her cache pages, and was wondering if the notice was appearing on other people's cache pages.

I now see the OP in a different light.

Wondering why copy/paste logs are not seen in the same light as "Single word, acronym, or emoticon logs". To me, reading the same log for every cache someone found that day provides no feedback at all. "me and bob went out on a geotour today and found these caches" over and over and over again.

Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

As I mentioned in the previous post, I do have that on some of my caches. I see it as educating cachers on etiquette. It takes a village. Those that say you should accept whatever you get are probably the same people that will drop a pill bottle in a shrub and call it a cache. Keep on educating!

Since I have never complained about the type of logs I get, I am probably in the "accept whatever you get" category. But I also do not put pill bottles in a random bush - or for that matter, a lamppost. The caches I have placed are ones I would like to find; in locations I want to show people. If someone likes the cache and writes a nice log, I am glad they enjoyed going there. If someone writes an acronym or cuts and pastes, then I also hope they found it worthwhile - but it does not change what I think about the cache either way. I did not place them in order to get a particular response. I placed them because I thought they were good placements.

I think logs are important as a measure of how I want to record my experience. So I have never used an acronym or cut and pasted, even when I did 100 repetitive caches. But if you place a pillbox in a bush there might be very little to inspire me to write more than a sentence, even if the CO wants to educate me about etiquette. Give me an interesting title, a good location, a description that makes me think, something that triggers a stream of consciousness and I will have more to say.

So I think the way to educate people is to give them a reason to do more than TTTC. I respond to that better than a cache description that seems to be asking for a type of log, favorite points, or any other response.

Edited by geodarts

So I think the way to educate people is to give them a reason to do more than TTTC. I respond to that better than a cache description that seems to be asking for a type of log, favorite points, or any other response.

Good idea, but it doesn't work.

I recently had a chance to educate a cacher. This cacher had logged all of his caches with a simple "Found it". Not just mine... a couple hundred caches. He logged a very unique and special cache of mine like that. I groaned when I saw it, but I did nothing. But about an hour later, he logged another find on that same cache, in the same way. I deleted his duplicate log, and I send him an email letting him know why.

In that email, I said, "Sorry, but I had to delete a duplicate log of yours on my XYZ cache. By the way, how was the day? Did you enjoy the cache?" I got a very nice reply, thanking me for letting him know about the duplicate log, and he went on to tell me about the fabulous weather, how much he enjoyed the park, how he loved to take his dog out for a run in those big grassy fields, etc. I replied with "Sounds like a great day! It would have been wonderful reading about that in your log! Thanks for letting me know."

A couple days later, I was out caching and not having much luck, when I heard some twigs snap. I looked up to see another cacher coming to join me. We introduced each other, and I recognized the name, and told him I was the guy that had sent him that email. He was delighted to meet me, and thanked me for enlightening him to the point of view of a cache owner (he owned no caches). Ever since, he has been writing short, but sweet, logs.

There is nothing wrong with educating and hoping people will learn from it. That is not demanding anything. It is educating. Just like we do with our kids.

No, why would it? How other people log their finds is their business. I'm not about to have my feelings hurt because someone didn't thank me in enough words. When someone else puts effort into finding one of my caches, that is all the thanks I need.

Would you please stop with the "hurt feelings" stuff you spew every time this subject comes up? Nobody said anything about hurt feelings. Perhaps your expectations are low, but that doesn't mean that everyone should have your low expectations. Teach people. That's what society does. Human nature does not generally rise above without education. Fight entropy, don't encourage it.

While I agree with the sentiment (and think people offended by it are probably the kind of people who get offended easily by many things), I don't intend to add it to my cache pages. I don't think it's going to have much of an impact or reach most of the people in the intended audience.

I think the way to encourage longer logs is:

1) better caches with good descriptions

2) write longer, better logs yourself

3) if you meet a newbie that you know writes short, meaningless logs then politely explain why you believe they should do otherwise

Some do it out of ignorance, but many (probably most) simply can't be reached. They don't write long logs (or cache descriptions) because they don't want to read them either.

Edited by Joshism

While I agree with the sentiment (and think people offended by it are probably the kind of people who get offended easily by many things), I don't intend to add it to my cache pages. I don't think it's going to have much of an impact or reach most of the people in the intended audience.

I think the way to encourage longer logs is:

1) better caches with good descriptions

2) write longer, better logs yourself

3) if you meet a newbie that you know writes short, meaningless logs then politely explain why you believe they should do otherwise

Some do it out of ignorance, but many (probably most) simply can't be reached. They don't write long logs (or cache descriptions) because they don't want to read them either.

I pretty much agree with what you say, but I would take exception to your use of the word "long". Length logs are not the point to most. Quality is. "Tell me a bit about your experience going for the cache", not "write me an essay". I'm sure you realize that, but I want to make that point before all the "You want me to write an essay" people jump in.

No I won't put such a statement on my cache pages. My minimum online cache log is about 8 words. The shortest log on one of my caches was :) colon right parenthesis. That only happened once.

I do try to give helpful information on my cache pages and try to put in the best parking location to go for the cache.

Edited by tomfuller & Quill

You are interpreting "passive-agressive".

Actually what I'm doing is pointing out that it can be interpreted as a passive-aggressive demand.

Wondering why copy/paste logs are not seen in the same light as "Single word, acronym, or emoticon logs". To me, reading the same log for every cache someone found that day provides no feedback at all. "me and bob went out on a geotour today and found these caches" over and over and over again.

Too true. And in my area, most of the cut&paste logs are posted by very experienced cachers, well beyond the reach of any educational input.

Actually what I'm doing is pointing out that it can be interpreted as a passive-aggressive demand.

Just because it can be interpreted that way doesn't mean it IS that way.

But I see that you did interpret it that way:

Too true. And in my area, most of the cut&paste logs are posted by very experienced cachers, well beyond the reach of any educational input.

"Can be interpreted" are the operative words there. If you chose to, just about anything said can be misinterpreted in a bad light. That does not mean it was intended to be interpreted that way.

No I won't put such a statement on my cache pages. My minimum online cache log is about 8 words. The shortest log on one of my caches was :) colon right parenthesis. That only happened once.

I do try to give helpful information on my cache pages and try to put in the best parking location to go for the cache.

A very quick check shows me that you write very nice logs. And, again... a good log is not about the number of words. But those of yours that I looked at generally had much more than 8.

An exhortation on your cache listing to write quality logs may not be very effective, but it doesn't hurt either.
Maybe. Maybe not.

If I saw something like this before logging I would probably write TFTC for the first time.

There are people that will have childish reactions to something like that... yes. I don't think we can do anything to stop that.

No, I would never think to put something like that on my cache pages.

Could you please discuss why you think this is important enough to start a thread on the forum? Lots of other people have expressed opinions, so I'm interested in hearing from you, as the nature of forum discussions normally includes posts by the OP.

B.

I definitely would have appreciated seeing something like this on cache pages when I was new to geocaching. It's well-written, polite, and educational without being aggressive or rude. I don't have any hides of my own, but I'd consider putting something like this on my cache page when I finally take that step, and assuming (because I don't expect to do otherwise) that what I hide is worth more than four letters. It's great if you're able to educate new cachers in the field, but in my year and a half of geocaching solo, I have only run into other cachers twice that I can think of, so having something like this on the page itself is nice.

Correct me if I'm wrong - it wouldn't be unusual - but seems that the, what are we calling it now?... ah yes, the exhortation (hurriedly googles measning...)

Yes, as I was saying - it seems to me that the exhortation considered by some as contentious / worthy of rebuttal via a TFTC only log, amounts to the same sort of message that Groundspeak promotes every now and then and nobody seems to get overly upset when that happens - even though it amounts to the same sort of message. :unsure:

Actually, reading it again, the worst thing about it is that it speaks about "geocache hiders" and etiquette generally, when it's actually just a statement of personal preference. I don't care for the tone as a cacher, and as a cache owner I don't care to have other cache owners speaking on my behalf.

With a few simple wording changes and some editing for better language, it is possible to create a polite request that isn't as officious and demanding as the original "etiquette" lesson.

"Cache Owner's Request: I would like to hear your feedback on whether you liked or disliked any aspect of the hide, or if you feel that cache maintenance is required. Short or automated logs may be easier when you have many caches to log, but they don't tell me, or other finders, anything about your experience with the cache. Detailed logs are always appreciated."

Actually, reading it again, the worst thing about it is that it speaks about "geocache hiders" and etiquette generally, when it's actually just a statement of personal preference. I don't care for the tone as a cacher, and as a cache owner I don't care to have other cache owners speaking on my behalf.

With a few simple wording changes and some editing for better language, it is possible to create a polite request that isn't as officious and demanding as the original "etiquette" lesson.

"Cache Owner's Request: I would like to hear your feedback on whether you liked or disliked any aspect of the hide, or if you feel that cache maintenance is required. Short or automated logs may be easier when you have many caches to log, but they don't tell me, or other finders, anything about your experience with the cache. Detailed logs are always appreciated."

What, pray tell, is "officious and demanding" about "Please keep this in mind when entering your log.""?

I'm sure there are people here that can find something "officious and demanding" about your suggestion as well.

Would I appreciate an informative log? Certainly. Am I going to ask someone for an informative log? Nope. The log isn't my goal or end game when hiding a cache; it's the experience. If they enjoy it they usually write something nice and informative. If they don't, either it wasn't their cup of tea (too tricky, too convoluted, too hard) or they opted not to tell me about it for some reason. Both are fine with me.

http://coord.info/GC5A38T

Well...I just love reading a good long story about your adventure in general... thats why the long paragraph on logging etiquette! Make me smile when you log your find online!

Kindly replace the cache as found.

If you enjoyed finding the cache, please feel free to give a favourite point to the cache

http://coord.info/GC550WP

Well...I just love reading a good long story about your adventure in general... thats why the long paragraph on logging etiquette! Make me smile when you log your find online!

Kindly replace the cache as found. Log has to be signed to claim a find. Do not post pictures of cache in hand - photos will be deleted without reason.

If you enjoyed finding the cache, please feel free to give a favorite point to the cache

B.

If you enjoyed finding the cache, please feel free to give a favourite point to the cache

Kindly replace the cache as found. Log has to be signed to claim a find. Do not post pictures of cache in hand - photos will be deleted without reason.

If you enjoyed finding the cache, please feel free to give a favorite point to the cache

B.

Isn't it nice that someone with vacation caches, pleading for others to perform maintenance, is here to lecture everyone else about "etiquette?" Wow.

An exhortation on your cache listing to write quality logs may not be very effective, but it doesn't hurt either.
Maybe. Maybe not.

If I saw something like this before logging I would probably write TFTC for the first time.

The suggested exhortation can come across to some as "teachy-preachy." A small percentage will think to themselves "no one's gonna tell me what to do."

Better to keep the quality of hides high and the comments will improve.

Maybe a shorter, softer exhortation is the way to go. Like "Hope you enjoy this hide and i look forward to hearing about your experience."

B.

Isn't it nice that someone with vacation caches, pleading for others to perform maintenance, is here to lecture everyone else about "etiquette?" Wow.

"Pleading"? "Lecture"? Where on earth do you get your negativity from? Its sad.

Maybe. Maybe not.

The suggested exhortation can come across to some as "teachy-preachy." A small percentage will think to themselves "no one's gonna tell me what to do."

Better to keep the quality of hides high and the comments will improve.

Maybe a shorter, softer exhortation is the way to go. Like "Hope you enjoy this hide and i look forward to hearing about your experience."

That small percentage is going to do what they're going to do anyway, so we can safely ignore them.

In my experience (based on favorite points), quality of hide is no guarantee of better comments these days.