upgrading

garysimnett

There's a difference between purchasing the full app for the phone and upgrading to a premium membership...I'm not sure which you mean. The intro app limits the number and kinds of caches you can find, while the full app has no restrictions. You absolutely do not need a premium membership, and upgrading to one does not get you the full app, just so you know.

Premium members can be notified about new caches, download pocket queries, and a few other perks that are great for some. Still, 99.9% of the game can be played with a basic membership.

That said, if you do mean you want to upgrade to a premium membership, it doesn't matter if you do it on the phone or a computer. It's tied into the geocaching account.

The whole premium membership or paid app thing is confusing. There's a separate thread about it.

First, what do you want to upgrade? The app ($10 one time fee) or premium membership ($30 / year, recurring).

If you buy the app, you will see all geocachers that are NOT premium member only. Depending on your area, there may be a few to many premium member only caches.

There are also other geocaching apps apart from the Groundspeak one. Some are free, one of them is frowned on by Groundspeak but much liked by the users, and almost all of them cost less than $10. I don't use the apps much, and when I do, I use the Groundspeak app because I bought it long ago, when there are not as many choices as now. Many of the paid ones have a demo version you can try.

If you're getting a premium membership, get it for the account that gets used most.