Cache Idea - Want Feedback

Vinous

OK, I am thinking of doing a series of caches, all following a theme, with the first being a traditional in a very unique container. Which would then contain a puzzle for the second cache. After getting the second cache it would have instructions for getting to the third and final cache which would contain a special token as a reward.

I was thinking that I would do three separate caches so people can log the legs they complete as it would be a fairly challenging series, and will take a fair amount of work to complete. Each leg could in its own right be a standalone cache, but as a series I think it would pose more of an adventure.

Thoughts?

I think this will not pass review, because of the guidelines on "bonus" caches. It is acceptable to have a group of caches, each of which has part of the solution to a final "bonus" cache, which would be a puzzle cache. But you "generally" cannot have the solution to one cache inside another puzzle cache, thereby creating a chain where each individual cache requires having found the puzzle cache before it.

Given that these would all be within a fairly close radius. (Less than a mile) archiving shouldn't be an issue. I was also thinking of placing a fallback (abetly a far far more difficult puzzle) on the cache pages as a fallback. My thought process is that this series tells a story/takes the user on an adventure and would really only work if they did it in a specific order. I want to do something a little less traditional, but that is both fun and challenging at the same time. Caches like Raiders of the Lost Cache (GC2HN2H) are a lot of fun, but require an environment that isn't as easy to get to for most people. Its difficult to describe my idea without giving away aspects that would be spoilers.

I was also thinking of placing a fallback (abetly a far far more difficult puzzle) on the cache pages as a fallback.

That would be better. If one missing cache would make the others not findable, none of them may be published. As it is, it's extra work for the Reviewer, if they need to be published simultaneously.

The reviewer is the one to ask. I'm sure you can work out a suitable way to set it up.

Edited by kunarion

Given that these would all be within a fairly close radius. (Less than a mile) archiving shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not sure what you're thinking here, but distance has nothing to do with it. Consider what happens if you stop geocaching, for example. Then the first cache falls into disrepair and gets archived. Now the other 2 are dead.

OK, I'll say it: what you're describing is a multicache, and I'm not seeing any particular reason not to implement it that way.

Given that these would all be within a fairly close radius. (Less than a mile) archiving shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not sure what you're thinking here, but distance has nothing to do with it. Consider what happens if you stop geocaching, for example. Then the first cache falls into disrepair and gets archived. Now the other 2 are dead.

OK, I'll say it: what you're describing is a multicache, and I'm not seeing any particular reason not to implement it that way.

...though, if it contains puzzles to solve to get coordinates to the next stage, the reviewer will probably require it to be published as a mystery cache.