moving trackable

I seem to remember having read somewhere that any trackable are meant to be moved on within 2 weeks, although I may have dreamt this. I currently have 2 in my possession that I found last week and intend to take them when I go on holiday in about 5 weeks. I have messaged the owner of the cache where I found them explaining it will be a few weeks and they haven't replied so I assume this is ok?

Edited by Lellynelly

I seem to remember having read somewhere that any trackable are meant to be moved on within 2 weeks, although I may have dreamt this. I currently have 2 in my possession that I found last week and intend to take them when I go on holiday in about 5 weeks. I have messaged the owner of the cache where I found them explaining it will be a few weeks and they haven't replied so I assume this is ok?

Put it this way, would you want someone to hold your TB for 7 weeks? If the answer is no, then drop them and find some closer to the time.

It's the owner of the trackables that you should contact, not the owner of the cache they were in.

On two Trackables in your possession, you have placed info that you "will release in the Hebridean Isles at the end of May". That's an appropriate thing to do, since it not only notifies the TO, it also helps anyone who is following the Trackable. Plus it's info that will be available even if email isn't working. Good job!

I think Groundspeak's "two weeks" thing is a terrible idea. When there's a arbitrary "keep it for two weeks" statement, people can justify keeping a TB for "5 weeks" :ph34r:. Or keeping it forever, "two more weeks after this two weeks..." Groundspeak has goofy policies that get Trackables lost. And they sell Trackables. Go figure. :anitongue:

But I'd be happy if every taker would post something on my Trackables' logs that stated the current status of my Trackables (rather than making me guess). If you plan to release it in 5 weeks, say so. Once 5 weeks pass, post an update. Communication is key.

Edited by kunarion
On two Trackables in your possession, you have placed info that you "will release in the Hebridean Isles at the end of May". That's an appropriate thing to do, since it not only notifies the TO, it also helps anyone who is following the Trackable. Plus it's info that will be available even if email isn't working. Good job!

...snip...

But I'd be happy if every taker would post something on my Trackables' logs that stated the current status of my Trackables (rather than making me guess). If you plan to release it in 5 weeks, say so. Once 5 weeks pass, post an update. Communication is key.

+1

Lellynelly, you communicated with the Trackable's Owner with your log on the trackable's page (the cache owner has nothing to do with their movements).

- That's important.

I believe that most are tickled to know theirs are still moving at all. :)

It could be a couple weeks before I venture out again, maybe to find that the "small" cache headed to is really a micro, that can't handle the trackable I'm holding.

If I had to abide by two-weeks-n-place, I'd never touch one again.

I generally try and move them on within a few weeks. The exception was recently because we had a visit to Iceland planned and given its remote location, I thought TB owners might not mind too much if I held on to them for longer so I could take them there. But I did actually contact them to ask and they were all fine with it. The best thing was that people started asking me to take their TBs there for them. :)