Scratches on Screen

I recently purchased a Garmin Monterra and accidentally put my keys in the same pocket as the GPS. As result I have a scratched up area on my screen that I would like to remove or at least lighten up a little. I did call Garmin to see how much a new screen would be and he was telling me no matter what the repair is it will cost $200.00. That to me is a little steep. Does any one have a good repair procedure or place I can take it to. To have this fixed or lighten up a little

I recently purchased a Garmin Monterra and accidentally put my keys in the same pocket as the GPS. As result I have a scratched up area on my screen that I would like to remove or at least lighten up a little. I did call Garmin to see how much a new screen would be and he was telling me no matter what the repair is it will cost $200.00. That to me is a little steep. Does any one have a good repair procedure or place I can take it to. To have this fixed or lighten up a little

I don't have a repair procedure, I prefer a preventative procedure. I have found XO skins to be an excellent screen protector. On my Etrex 30 it covered small scratches quite well.

As jholly has eluded to, some of the more pliable types of screen protectors, once applied, will make smaller scratches disappear. The film of "glue" fills in the cracks so well you'll forget you ever scratched it in the first place.

I tried to "buff" out some scratches on an old 60CSX only to end up doing more damage. I recommend going the screen protector route to cover them up or learn to live with them.

Back when I used my old trusty Magellan Meridian I didn't use a screen protector. The screen would scratch but the plastic was of a composition that could be fixed by rubbing it with Brasso (or brand-x metal polisher) on a rag. The screen would repair to near perfect condition every time. So when I finally purchased a 60csx I thought I would employ the same strategy but come to find the plastic was extremely resistant to chemical decomposition and metal polishing compound wouldn't work. So I got some of that special scratch remover solution in a kit (in three bottles) and rubbed the crap out of the screen. I ended up causing more damage because of the fine abrasives in the solution.

The metal polisher actually "melted" a thin layer of the surface of the Magellan Meridian screen allowing me to actually remove micro layers of plastic which would smooth-over the scratches. The modern non-touchscreen Garmin screens just don't react to the chemicals. They are made of tougher plastic but can't be fixed with scratch removing solutions.

Edited by yogazoo

I've had my Etrex 20 for about 12 months and used it heaps! But the screen has no scratches on it. What I have done is put 3 clear rubber pads onto the glass area so that it lifts the glass area off from any surface and gives your fingers something to grip onto...

2r7vlzm.jpg

zu08it.jpg

B)

How deep are the scratches? Hopefully light from the key scrape...

I have not used the following method on a GPS screen as of yet, but I would do it if I had scratches to remove. Computer tech here, and I've used headlight polish kits to remove scratches on similar screens. I've cleaned up a very expensive Pioneer head unit, various other small screens, tablets and an auto repair shop's scan tool, (very expensive unit) which featured a touch screen.

Are you mechanically inclined, work well with your hands? If you follow the procedure properly, do not apply too much pressure (not required) and keep the screen lubricated I don't see why it shouldn't work. If someone brought one into my shop I would certainly attempt it.

I normally like to use 3M headlight restorer kits - it what is avail. at my local parts stores and they feature small abrasive pads that are very suitable for small screens.

Worst case scenario, you still have to send it in for the $200 repair.

Just my .02... YMMV <_<

As jholly has eluded to, some of the more pliable types of screen protectors, once applied, will make smaller scratches disappear. The film of "glue" fills in the cracks so well you'll forget you ever scratched it in the first place.

I tried to "buff" out some scratches on an old 60CSX only to end up doing more damage. I recommend going the screen protector route to cover them up or learn to live with them.

x2, I had to do this with my wife's GPS, worked well.

I've had my Etrex 20 for about 12 months and used it heaps! But the screen has no scratches on it. What I have done is put 3 clear rubber pads onto the glass area so that it lifts the glass area off from any surface and gives your fingers something to grip onto...

I use the Garmin case for my eTrex 20 and 30 which has a clear plastic screen over the display. What I also like about the case is that it has just enough thickness around the thumb-wheel to prevent accidental movement.

I was careless about my eTrex 30 screen and scratched up an area to become nearly unreadable. However, I found vigorous rubbing with Autosol chrome polish and ordinary household paper did wonders - nearly the clarity of a new shiny screen was obtained actually. Very satisfied.