Challenge Checker Requests

Razz007

I created an Arkansas DeLorme challenge a few years back and now I want to have a challenge checker created for it. I created my own Google Earth KML/KMZ file where I drew out each and every page of the new AR DeLorme Map, which works pretty well when coupled with GSAK. However, I realize that a checker would be easier for people that are looking for a simpler solution to validate their caches.

However, the issue that I am running across is both a language barrier as well as a technology barrier while working with the Project-GC developers. I have no doubt that their volunteer developers are more than willing to work with cachers and are more then capable of coding a script to validate finds. However, in my experience over the past couple of days, I have had an extremely difficult and frustrating experience with project-gc over my DeLorme map. Again, we are dealing with an extremely heavy communication issue. I am not a programmer and I was given the impression by the FAQs provided by both Groundspeak and Project-GC that I wouldn't have to be one, I am finding that the developer has requested that I convert and provide the necessary data to supply for their script in a JSON format or rendering.

I count myself as technically skilled enough to format, convert, and provide files of many formats, but although I have requested examples of what needs to be provided and instructions/tools how to convert the information needed (I was provided site links with no instructions on how to use it) I am beginning to have my doubts whether or not my checker will ever be developed.

For the record, this is not a slight on Project-GC and their team. However, I feel that these issues of communication and technical understanding will frustrate many people that are not as experienced and discourage them from moving forward with what I am sure is a great challenge idea.

There are several DeLorme challenge checkers posted on Project-GC now, so I have to ask why am I having a difficult time communicating what I want and providing what they need? Anybody else having a similar experience?

Hi. I've built a couple handfuls of challenge checkers with the Project-GC tools, and I recall running into very much the same issue when I did my first polygon-based checker.

The format you want is the one that's hardcoded into the "GenericPolygonChecker" code that lillfiluren authored. What PGC Support will tell you is to provide them a file in the format, and that they'll eventually post it on their servers so you can just tag GenericPolygonChecker and pass in your filename. I've waited weeks and gotten nowhere on that tactic. And because I'm the impatient type, I usually make a copy of GenericPolygonChecker, and plug my own data into it... run it, test it, verify it, list it... and THEN send a note to PGC Support. If and when they move the file up, I go back and rebuild the checker as a tag to the generic script.

The specific JSON format you need is like this:

local myChallenge_polygons = {
   ["Three Finger Jack"] = { polypoints = {{ {44.375,-121.875},{44.375,-121.75},{44.5,-121.75},{44.5,-121.875},{44.375,-121.875}} }},
   ["Black Butte"] = { polypoints = {{ {44.375,-121.75},{44.375,-121.625},{44.5,-121.625},{44.5,-121.75},{44.375,-121.75}} }},
   ["Little Squaw Back"] = { polypoints = {{ {44.375,-121.625},{44.375,-121.5},{44.5,-121.5},{44.5,-121.625},{44.375,-121.625}} }},
   ... etc ...
}

If you need more info, feel free to ping me -- I'm not a very frequent browser of this forum, so an email/message would be fastest.

Edited by Tanjent