Geocaching the Bay event GC5Z4XF

GC5Z4XF was a ripoff.

Paid for a lunch and was told that my lunch 'was for volunteers only'

The geocachers of the bay area is only a portal to suck any money from individuals.

I have some colorful language to tell the person or organization about this event!

Will never travel to any of the San Francisco (bay area events again)

I want my paid fees back and will challenge this to my bank.

How dare you do not serve me lunch that I had paid for... was told <volunteers only>

I want my money back as my lunch that I have paid for was DENIED.

GC5Z4XF was a ripoff.

The geocachers of the bay area is only a portal to suck any money from individuals.

I have some colorful language to tell the person or organization about this event!

How dare you do not serve me lunch that I had paid for... was told <volunteers only>

You've posted on the cache page and here in the forum.

Have you contacted the mega-committee or Groundspeak?

B.

I didn't attend but i did just now take a look at the cache and gba page. May have just missed it but i wasn't able to find anything pertaining to paying for lunch or having it provided. Would think that info would be easy to spot..

On a side note, it sure looked like a bunch of event stacking went on. :blink:

GC5Z4XF was a ripoff.

Hmmm...519 attended, and only one complaint about lunch. Maybe you made some kind of mistake somewhere?

I didn't attend but i did just now take a look at the cache and gba page. May have just missed it but i wasn't able to find anything pertaining to paying for lunch or having it provided. Would think that info would be easy to spot..
When registering for the mega-event (which was separate from posting a Will Attend log), there was an option for ordering lunch, T-shirts, geocoins, etc. You could pick up any swag (T-shirts, geocoins, etc.) when you checked in at the registration table. I don't know anything about the lunch arrangements though, since I left the mega-event early to attend a friend's surprise birthday party, and didn't order lunch.
When registering for the mega-event (which was separate from posting a Will Attend log), there was an option for ordering lunch, T-shirts, geocoins, etc. You could pick up any swag (T-shirts, geocoins, etc.) when you checked in at the registration table. I don't know anything about the lunch arrangements though, since I left the mega-event early to attend a friend's surprise birthday party, and didn't order lunch.

He probably went to the wrong place to retrieve the lunch he paid for.

Maybe he accidentally paid his lunch money to

That would be my guess.

There were a lot of volunteers who volunteered for one specific task, but who weren't familiar with everything that was going on for the event. I know I asked a few questions where I was told that I needed to ask someone else. I can easily imagine miscommunication occurring in such a situation.

Anyway, the OP needs to contact the mega-event committee. All anyone can do here in the forum is kibitz.

GC5Z4XF was a ripoff.

It was a first year event so there could have been hiccups...actually, I volunteered on the committee (not nearly as much as others) and working the registration table and I know that unfortunately we, like other first year events, had some minor hiccups. For instance, we couldn't find some people's printed paper name tags....but everyone was cool with it and we made handmade ones on this spot. Meal tickets should have been in the merchandise bag you were given at check-in. If there was no meal ticket, then either you never ordered one or it was mistakenly left out. If you ordered one and it was mistakenly left out, I am confident the committee will issue you a full refund of your meal - heck, I will even buy you a sandwich, soda and a bag of chips out of my own pocket. It looks like you really love your food, but I would advise against coming on a public forum and accusing good-hearted folks who volunteered and put a lot of time and effort into an event that they are "a portal to suck any money from individuals". No sandwich is so important to allow you to publically insult people and insult their efforts. (BTW: you may want to double-check your order, your order confirmation and what was charged to your bank. You may have never paid for a lunch to begin with.)

Edited by caccbag

Event stacking?

I am the committee member who was in charge of the web store. I have sent him an email with the web store invoice. He order two hacker packages. Lunches where order as separate line item which was not on his order.

What's a hacker package?

I'm not sure if eggzie is still reading the forum, so I'll try to share what I know. The event committee was offering some swags like geocoin, t-shirt, pathtag, etc... to the attendees. I don't recall what exactly was in the Hacker Package as I purchased a different one, but it should have included some of these swags. I remember that the lunch was sold alone separately and was not included in any of these swag packages. The store front was clear about this and I personally didn't get confused at all.

Event stacking?

Generally, events need to be able to stand on their own, not needing another to basically prop it up. Yes, here, there were some other events such as a post-Mega dinner for all who wanted to attend. But, all events were discussed with Groundspeak first and approval received prior to submitting.