Sprinkler Head

I was wondering about something concerning a sprinkler head geocache. I had the idea of inserting a PVC pipe into the ground and dropping the sprinkler head into the pipe. The pipe would keep back dirt and allow for easy removal of the sprinkler. I know that geocaching has the no bury rule when it comes to the cache itself, but would this be allowed? Any help would be appreciated.

I was wondering about something concerning a sprinkler head geocache. I had the idea of inserting a PVC pipe into the ground and dropping the sprinkler head into the pipe. The pipe would keep back dirt and allow for easy removal of the sprinkler. I know that geocaching has the no bury rule when it comes to the cache itself, but would this be allowed? Any help would be appreciated.

No.

Guess you already figured that to ask. :)

I've found two of those type of cache..... What if the sprinkler body was already there??
I don't understand. For the fake-sprinkler caches I've found, the sprinkler body has been the cache container. How would a fake-sprinkler cache work if the sprinkler body was already there?

They are terrible containers.

Ironically, they are rarely watertight. Every single one I've found had a wet logsheet inside.

I confess I used one for one of my first caches...except I actually had it sitting in the crook of a tree instead of pushed into the ground. It still got soaked inside. I eventually archived it and haven't used one since.

I'm not a big fan of anything that trains others to tear stuff apart, "just in case".

We've seen the destruction caused on memorials, where electric plates weren't even able to be re-attached.

One, the flag was tilted, as some expletive deleted cacher decided to ratchet off its base "just in case", and never put it back together.

- Probably on their "4th of 30" that day...

Since I'm on a roll... :laughing:

A big peeve is seeing fresh bird nests flipped over, because someone, "found a cache like that once", and just a few weeks ago, we saw a birdhouse that had an open (not covered ove) hole with it's hinged door opened, nest on the ground, about ten feet from GZ.

Sheesh...

Don't do it. Just don't hide using a fake sprinkler head. It's a terrible cache container for a number of reasons, not least of which is that using them trains finders to destroy real sprinkler heads.

Yes, I've destroyed a very large (3' deep), difficult-to-replace real sprinkler head in a park because the cache description made it sound like it was in that head ("round, plastic, where you would expect water..."). It turned out to be in a drain by a tree. Now I don't do sprinkler head caches.

Don't do it. Just don't hide using a fake sprinkler head. It's a terrible cache container for a number of reasons, not least of which is that using them trains finders to destroy real sprinkler heads.

Yes, I've destroyed a very large (3' deep), difficult-to-replace real sprinkler head in a park because the cache description made it sound like it was in that head ("round, plastic, where you would expect water..."). It turned out to be in a drain by a tree. Now I don't do sprinkler head caches.

I thought sprinkler head caches were cute until I installed my own irrigation system. Now knowing how much systems cost I don't go near them.

On the northeast we don't have sprinkler head caches as there aren't any in-ground irrigation systems. Since the ground is frozen over the winter, they are destroyed by the frost. We use the sprinklers you put on a hose.

Sure there are in-ground sprinkler systems here in the Northeast. A close friend of mine owns a company that installs them. And in my limited experience I've already seen a sprinkler cache, at least in NJ.

On the northeast we don't have sprinkler head caches as there aren't any in-ground irrigation systems. Since the ground is frozen over the winter, they are destroyed by the frost. We use the sprinklers you put on a hose.

Sure there are in-ground sprinkler systems here in the Northeast. A close friend of mine owns a company that installs them. And in my limited experience I've already seen a sprinkler cache, at least in NJ.

+1 Yep.

We've seen a lotta sprinklers. Thankfully not so many sprinkler caches.

The lines are simply blown out in the Fall, like you'd do for an inground pool. :)

We have sprinklers systems and sprinkler caches around Ottawa despite our 8 months of winter. Somehow they survive the permafrost.

We have sprinklers systems and sprinkler caches around Ottawa despite our 8 months of winter. Somehow they survive the permafrost.

They drain them out. Blowing air through the lines is one way they do it.

I live in Minnesota and its not exactly warm here in the winter. I personally own an underground irrigation system.