Stuff We All See (and Hate)

PlantAKiss

I was caching with a friend who is just getting into geocaching. I was explaining to her what a throwdown was. Oddly enough the next day I came across logs for a cache listing that we had just done and had logged DNFs, because, although we found the location, it appeared the cache container was missing. I posted a log that I was pretty sure we had the right location and The CO might want to check on their cache to see if it had gone MIA or not. There were serveral other DNF logs prior to ours and also two Found It logs which I knew were wrong because they stated they found the location but *not the cache container" but had logged "Found it" any way. The throwdowner said (in effect) "this cache has gone missing so I have placed a new contIner and log." And of course it's followed by new Found It logs as people cache on with the bogus throwdown.

So my question is, should I :

1) MYOB...ignore this and let the CO handle it. Maybe she's glad it was done for her.

2.send a POLITE PM to the throw downer and kindly explain what he did is against rules and is harmful to the game and why.

.3. Post a public nice note explaining a throwdown and why they are bad in hopes that newbies might read if they read the ligs and LEARN something?

I just hate not saying something, knowing they will continue this practice.

Another question:,how long do you give some one who has not logged their "retrieve" or "drop"? TB is in limbo. I sent a note but no response. If it's never properly logged, how can I fix it so the TB can move along.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by PlantAKiss

I was caching with a friend who is just getting into geocaching. I was explaining to her what a throwdown was. Oddly enough the next day I came across logs for a cache listing that we had just done and had logged DNFs, because, although we found the location, it appeared the cache container was missing. I posted a log that I was pretty sure we had the right location and The CO might want to check on their cache to see if it had gone MIA or not. There were serveral other DNF logs prior to ours and also two Found It logs which I knew were wrong because they stated they found the location but *not the cache container" but had logged "Found it" any way. The throwdowner said (in effect) "this cache has gone missing so I have placed a new contIner and log." And of course it's followed by new Found It logs as people cache on with the bogus throwdown.

1) MYOB...ignore this and let the CO handle it. Maybe she's glad it was done for her.

2.send a POLITE PM to the throw downer and kindly explain what he did is against rules and is harmful to the game and why.

.3. Post a public nice note explaining a throwdown and why they are bad in hopes that newbies might read if they read the ligs and LEARN something?

Another question:,how long do you give some one who has not logged their "retrieve" or "drop"? TB is in limbo. I sent a note but no response. If it's never properly logged, how can I fix it so the TB can move along.

Thanks in advance.

There's not really a lot you can do although it is frustrating that cachers leave throwdowns. There are umpteen threads on this topic.

If you feel so strongly about it you could log a NM mentioning the throwdown and suggesting that the CO vbisit GZ and verify that the original cache is gone. If the CO fails to respond after 30 days you could log a Needs Archived, and that will get a reviewer involved, then move on.

Thanks in advance.

i might drop a " not sure if it's the right one " note just to give the co a heads up. no way would i start quoting rules and sending emails or trying to be the educator (aka mr know it all), since that's how do many people would take it. let the co deal with it.

Thanks in advance.

There's not really a lot you can do although it is frustrating that cachers leave throwdowns. There are umpteen threads on this topic.

If you feel so strongly about it you could log a NM mentioning the throwdown and suggesting that the CO vbisit GZ and verify that the original cache is gone. If the CO fails to respond after 30 days you could log a Needs Archived, and that will get a reviewer involved, then move on.

I agree. Needs maintenance - "Looks like there's a throwdown here now." Follow up with NA in a few weeks if nothing happens. Those logs are there to be used when a cache is neglected.

Thanks in advance.

I agree. Needs maintenance - "Looks like there's a throwdown here now." Follow up with NA in a few weeks if nothing happens. Those logs are there to be used when a cache is neglected.

Good advice.

Thanks in advance.

I agree with this. There may be a time when you can strike up a casual conversation with the person to talk about it. But emailing out of the blue probably won't accomplish much. You may be meaning well but chances are doing this will cause some angst.

I'd have no problem mentioning and stating my disdain for throwdowns in my owner maintenance logs. I'll log that i don't appreciate throwdowns on my cache. Concerning someone else' cache, its owner needs to take care of it.

Edited by Mudfrog

I'll generally give people a week to log their TBs, just in case they are on vacation and it's inconvenient to write logs. If I'm in a hurry, then I might check the recent geocaching history of the person who still "holds" the TB. If they have logged any geocaches since I have picked up the TB, then I'll email them a reminder to log the TB. If they don't respond within a day, then I'll go ahead and log the TB myself.

One of the TB logging options is to "grab" it from the person who currently "holds" the TB. When I do this, I also will make sure the TB "visits" the cache where I found it before I "drop" it in a new cache. By "visiting" the earlier cache, the history of the TB's travels is more accurately recorded.

Thanks in advance.

In terms of contacting previous "finders", I would for sure MYOB because you can't prove who made the drop. But I would drop a casual note to the CO, and then let it be. If you want to perform a PSA that is your prerogative, just make sure you're not calling out names, ESPECIALLY if you don't know beyond a shadow of a doubt who the guilty one is.

As I said in my OP, the person who placed the throw down said so in their log. So there is no doubt who did it. I certainly would not GUESS about that and just randomly contact finders.

Personally I would have no problem if I were doing something harmful to the game having someone educate me as to what I was doing wrong. I think a lot of people don't have any idea it's not kosher. I am surprised that for a community so disparaging of throwdowns, that it's better to allow them than inform someone who might have no idea the problems it can cause. But I'll just ignore it.

I may have logged a NM but I don't remember... I'll have to check that. If not, I'll do that. I mentioned it was possibly missing in my DNF.

Thank you all or the input! And about the TB issue.

As I said in my OP, the person who placed the throw down said so in their log. So there is no doubt who did it. I certainly would not GUESS about that and just randomly contact finders.

Personally I would have no problem if I were doing something harmful to the game having someone educate me as to what I was doing wrong. I think a lot of people don't have any idea it's not kosher. I am surprised that for a community so disparaging of throwdowns, that it's better to allow them than inform someone who might have no idea the problems it can cause. But I'll just ignore it.

People who leave throwdown caches know exactly what they are doing and the benefits they get for doing it. Getting that +1 in their find count total is more important to them than being kosher. All this done under the guise of "helping out the cache owner", of course...which is funny, because when the cache goes missing again, do these angels ever come back to help out again?

Your business here is to log your find. If you have reasons to believe you found a throwdown, those reasons would be an appropriate thing to put in your find log (or your DNF if your reasons are sufficient to convince you you really didn't find the CO's cache). Since your log is about the cache and your experience, there's no reason for you to make a judgement about whether the alleged throwdown is good or bad, and it's not your business to contact anyone to berate them for throwing down.

Then there is nothing more for you to do here. The CO already has the needed information to properly (or improperly) manage his cache. I'd move on.

Then there is nothing more for you to do here. The CO already has the needed information to properly (or improperly) manage his cache. I'd move on.

And the problem continues. The rise in throwdowns continues, since obviously it's sanctioned by users. Can't find a cache, throw one down. The spot never opens up for a new (hopefully better) hide by another hopefully responsible owner.

I think narcissa's advice was the best so far.

And the problem continues. The rise in throwdowns continues, since obviously it's sanctioned by users. Can't find a cache, throw one down. The spot never opens up for a new (hopefully better) hide by another hopefully responsible owner.

Now...if we could only work on getting more responsible FINDERS...

The "opens up a spot for a new hider" argument seems to come up quite a bit here but there are a lot of places where that's just not an issue. I replaced a missing container on a remote section of the great wall in China (and was promptly thanked by the CO, who lives about an hour away). I did not, however, claim a find on the replacement. The cache has only been visited once since I did so (last November) and no other caches were placed nearby. If there wasn't a cache there, it might be years before someone places on in that spot.

The "opens up a spot for a new hider" argument seems to come up quite a bit here but there are a lot of places where that's just not an issue.

This.

I quite often hear noobs and veterans complain about "not enough spots". I can tell you from experience that I have no problem finding spots to hide caches. There are plenty of trees, logs, caves, nooks, crannies, overlooks, parks, shorelines, and even sign posts and lamp skirts to hide things in.

Edited by bflentje

The "opens up a spot for a new hider" argument seems to come up quite a bit here but there are a lot of places where that's just not an issue.

This.

I quite often hear noobs and veterans complain about "not enough spots". I can tell you from experience that I have no problem finding spots to hide caches. There are plenty of trees, logs, caves, nooks, crannies, overlooks, parks, shorelines, and even sign posts and lamp skirts to hide things in.

Yes...but how do you decide WHICH lamp skirt to hide it under...? :ph34r:

This.

Yes...but how do you decide WHICH lamp skirt to hide it under...? :ph34r:

I don't struggle with that as I've never hidden one there. In a sign post, perhaps I might be guilty. B)

Thanks in advance.

Did you leave out possibly contacting the CO and letting them know there is possibly throwdown. They may not have read their cache logs. As per some of my posts on how many times cachers without permission left throwdowns when my caches were still there. Either assuming they were missing or too lazy to look thinking the CO won't notice. The last time it happened I didn't know for a whole year that someone put a throwdown just a foot away from the actual cache.

Agree. Indifference is responsible for most of the problems discussed right here in this forum. Not my problem is Not good enough. I'd at least e-mail the cache owner with a friendly heads up.

As far a TB's go. If I come across a situation where I'm doing a maintenance run and I notice that a TB that's listed in a cache is missing I'll typically do a little research. Lets say the TB was dropped a week ago and there's been three visits to the cache since, I'll fire off three quick e-mails inquiring about the missing TB. Usually, once a cacher realizes they're mistake, they'll log the TB within a day or two. My main concern is the accuracy of my cache listing. If no response I'll mark it as missing. Same with a drop off. Write down the tracking number and send a polite e-mail to the last person who had it. If no respnse, grab it from them and log it into your cache.

Edited by justintim1999