Oregan 650 pocket query

Trailbreaker

What I do is to unzip the query and transfer the GPX files to the Garmin/gpx folder -- either in the unit or the sd card. If you are using the sd card, you will have to create such a folder. A simple copy and paste type of function.

Most people use a computer to do that. There are ways to do it through the iphone -- and I use that as my primary means of transfering files to my gpsr - but that is a separate subject that you may or may not need to know at this time. It generally involves use of a small wifi router (I use the Kingston MobileLite). It probably is premature to give detailed instructions about it at this time, other than to note it can be done.

I personally recommend using an sd card because if the unit malfunctions and needs to reindex the list of caches, you can simply take the card out, turn the unit on and then off, reinsert the card, and turn the unit on again to get it to reindex the data.. Hopefully, you will never have to deal with that situation but if you find yourself missing a lot of caches that you know were successfully loaded into the unit, that may be a solution.

Some people use GSAK, basecamp, or other programs to filter queries or look at them on the computer -- and transfer the GPX files through such programs -- but for loading a straight query into the unit, I think it is easy to do it direclly

Edited by geodarts

Sorry for ignorance how do you unzip file it doesn't look zipped?

The pocket query is on the Groundspeak servers as a zipped file. If you download the query to the computer you will get a file with the extension showing .zip. This is a compressed file that contains two GPX files within it -- one for the cache data and one for additional waypoints. With many file managers these days, the process is pretty automatic. You can click on the zipped file and it will show you the contents, that can then be copied and pasted.

The GPX files are your goal. The Oregon needs these files to index the data about the caches. Unfortunately, it does not uncompress or unzip the files internally. So you have to find the gpx files within the compressed file and transfer them over. Does this make sense?

As long as you are able to see the gpx files and copy them over, you are good to go.

We would need to know if you are using a computer, what kind you are using, etc. to give detailed instructions about unzipping files.

Edited by geodarts

I've had them come unzipped. Dunno why though. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

If you got a single file in the download, that is a good sign that it is zipped -- it should also say it is a zipped file.

Unzipped, it would be two files (numbers).gpx and (same numbers)-wpts.gpx.

Don't for sure about Vista, but if it is zipped, try hovering your cursor over the file folder and right-click the mouse. A menu should appear and "unzip" may be one of the options.

WinZip has a free version for download, http://www.winzip.com/win/en/index.htm , there are others also. Just Google "unzip program".

A good tutorial for loading to a Garmin: http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/files/paperless_garmin.pdf