Child waypoints not displaying in my Garmin Oregon 600

I wonder if anyone can help?

I am using a Garmin Oregon 600 and load way-points using GSAK.

It will display the main waypoints with no problem but doesn't show the child waypoints that are in the cache description.

Am I doing something wrong? If so, please let me know what it is.

Many thanks

Geoff

My bold above. If you mean coordinates someone has written into the description then no, it won't show them as they are not coordinates but just plain text. If you mean the additional waypoints on the cache page then it should certainly show them. I don't use GSAK to put caches on my Oregon, I just transfer the two GPX files and it works fine.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

It will display the main waypoints with no problem but doesn't show the child waypoints that are in the cache description.

Many thanks

Geoff

My bold above. If you mean coordinates someone has written into the description then no, it won't show them as they are not coordinates but just plain text. If you mean the additional waypoints on the cache page then it should certainly show them. I don't use GSAK to put caches on my Oregon, I just transfer the two GPX files and it works fine.

Chris

Graculus

UK Geocaching Wiki

Along the same lines as Graculaus.

IF the coordinates are written in the description -rather than as Additional Waypoints- GSAK has a macro to add them as child waypoints. (It can also get them from logs..!)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Many thanks

Geoff

Chris

Graculus

UK Geocaching Wiki

Hi Chris

Thanks for that.

I have discovered that the GSAK format does not work properly in the Oregon. It appears not to store the additional waypoints as waypoints. Having followed your advice and stored the two files, one with and one without child waypoints, I can see the caches on the main screen and the child waypoints in the waypoint manager. I assume that this is the right way to do it?

Many thanks

Geoff

Many thanks

Geoff

Chris

Graculus

UK Geocaching Wiki

Along the same lines as Graculaus.

IF the coordinates are written in the description -rather than as Additional Waypoints- GSAK has a macro to add them as child waypoints. (It can also get them from logs..!)

Hi Chris

Thanks for that.

I have discovered that the GSAK format does not work properly in the Oregon. It appears not to store the additional waypoints as waypoints. Having followed your advice and stored the two files, one with and one without child waypoints, I can see the caches on the main screen and the child waypoints in the waypoint manager. I assume that this is the right way to do it?

Many thanks

Geoff

That's how I do it without GSAK. Geocaches appear in the Geocaches list and Waypoints in the Waypoints list. As commented above GSAK can do lots more things. I'm quite happy just having the caches I want from my PQ on the GPS.

Regards

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer - http://www.geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Wiki - https://wiki.Groundspeak.com/display/GEO/United+Kingdom

Geocaching.com Help Center - http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php

UK Geocaching Information and Resource site - http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

I use the Send Waypoints option under the GPS menu option in GSAK to transfer from GSAK to my Oregon 600. As long as you have GSAK set to Oregon 600 the child waypoints can be found by selecting "Where To?" then "Extras" and you see the list of child waypoints grouped together eg "Geocachers_Parking Area". When GSAK generates the ggz file it sends the other waypoints as Garmin POI (point of interest) files.

I use the Send Waypoints option under the GPS menu option in GSAK to transfer from GSAK to my Oregon 600. As long as you have GSAK set to Oregon 600 the child waypoints can be found by selecting "Where To?" then "Extras" and you see the list of child waypoints grouped together eg "Geocachers_Parking Area". When GSAK generates the ggz file it sends the other waypoints as Garmin POI (point of interest) files.

Thanks for that info. I will give it a try.

G

Displaying them both on the same list screen - no, not with a Garmin. You can view Geocaches or Waypoints. On my Oregon 550 it does show both caches and waypoints on the map. Waypoints show as blue flags or a P symbol. Note that I'm just using a PQ copied to the GPS, not using GSAK.

Chris

Graculus

UK Geocaching Wiki

Displaying them both on the same list screen - no, not with a Garmin. You can view Geocaches or Waypoints. On my Oregon 550 it does show both caches and waypoints on the map. Waypoints show as blue flags or a P symbol. Note that I'm just using a PQ copied to the GPS, not using GSAK.

Chris

Graculus

UK Geocaching Wiki

Thanks again, Chris. I have checked, and you are quite right. This makes life a lot easier, not having to switch from one list to another. I am doing a series tomorrow in which you have to pick up numbers from waypoints on the way round so that you can get the co-ords of the bonus. I was worried about missing one but I can now see where the waypoints are.

For what its worth as well, it could be the display resolution you have on the Oregon. If you go into the map setup, then advanced, then zoom levels, you can change at what level of zoom the waypoints display. This stops your screen being cluttered with waypoints at a "high" level.

I just went in and changed mine to 500mtr and the waypoints show as the type of waypoint you set (eg trailhead).

Much easier.