Any 6-digit finders?

BFG99

Since I have a LONG ways to go before my Find Count cracks 4 digits, I'm impressed by how many have found well over 10,000.

I'm curious - does anyone know anyone who's managed to hit 100k? Or if not, what's the highest (probably) legit count you've seen? I know it's not a contest, but I am curious...

Interesting, never knew about that site's existence. I do have to question how many of those counts are bona fide though.

I think it's well-documented that Alamogul is a good, honest (and BUSY!) cacher.

As for the second one on that list, who can really say for sure? I do know from a few of that person's logs locally that he has placed several throwdowns...which I personally take to be a sign of dishonesty in any cacher. Yeah, I am sure the majority of that person's finds are valid, but I do wonder just how many are not...

Since I have a LONG ways to go before my Find Count cracks 4 digits, I'm impressed by how many have found well over 10,000.

I'm curious - does anyone know anyone who's managed to hit 100k? Or if not, what's the highest (probably) legit count you've seen? I know it's not a contest, but I am curious...

It can be easy to get high counts. I can get 500 caches with no effort, in 2 days where I am. (Which Alamogul has done. I met him and another cacher. Cool people.) There's the ET powertrail with I think 1500 caches. Many more around Canada and the US that you could easily get sky high numbers. Of course it helps if you travel for work, or are retired.

It can be easy to get high counts. I can get 500 caches with no effort, in 2 days where I am. (Which Alamogul has done. Many more around Canada and the US that you could easily get sky high numbers.

I don't know if I would call getting 100,000 finds (legitimately) "easy" even with nothing but power trails.

Interesting, never knew about that site's existence. I do have to question how many of those counts are bona fide though.

I think it's well-documented that Alamogul is a good, honest (and BUSY!) cacher.

As for the second one on that list, who can really say for sure? I do know from a few of that person's logs locally that he has placed several throwdowns...which I personally take to be a sign of dishonesty in any cacher. Yeah, I am sure the majority of that person's finds are valid, but I do wonder just how many are not...

The counts of #2 seem more suspect than #1, especially when checking out "bad logs" on PGC.

It can be easy to get high counts. I can get 500 caches with no effort, in 2 days where I am. (Which Alamogul has done. Many more around Canada and the US that you could easily get sky high numbers.

I don't know if I would call getting 100,000 finds (legitimately) "easy" even with nothing but power trails.

It wouldn't even be easy to do it 100% from the armchair!

I looked at the stats of high number cachers, and looked up the log entries on a couple of the caches they found. I saw multiple 'Found It' logs posted by this cacher. Could that inflate a users find count?

Some of the multiples are legitimate. For example, there are some events that happen monthly or yearly and a new 'Found It' log is used for each occurrence. There are certainly some duplicate logs that should really be just 1 log, and so the find counts are a bit higher than they should be. It seems like #2 has many more of these than #1.

Searching the forums for the cacher names turn up quite a few threads where their counts are discussed.

I looked at the stats of high number cachers, and looked up the log entries on a couple of the caches they found. I saw multiple 'Found It' logs posted by this cacher. Could that inflate a users find count?

Some of the multiples are legitimate. For example, there are some events that happen monthly or yearly and a new 'Found It' log is used for each occurrence. There are certainly some duplicate logs that should really be just 1 log, and so the find counts are a bit higher than they should be. It seems like #2 has many more of these than #1.

Searching the forums for the cacher names turn up quite a few threads where their counts are discussed.

Thanks for the info, I thought that multiple 'Found It' logs on a single cache could inflate find counts.

I wasn't looking at #1 or #2, the cacher I was looking at had a high max finds per day number. I was wondering how someone could realistically get more than 2,000 in a day. That's 1.4 caches per minute. The cacher I was looking at had way more than 2,000 in a day.

As for #1, it appears that they average around 60 caches per day. This is based on the stats page start date for the cacher.

I wasn't looking at #1 or #2, the cacher I was looking at had a high max finds per day number. I was wondering how someone could realistically get more than 2,000 in a day. That's 1.4 caches per minute. The cacher I was looking at had way more than 2,000 in a day.

There are plenty of forums threads about that as well. Most of those seem to be accomplished using techniques that some consider questionable, particularly team splitting.

I was wondering how someone could realistically get more than 2,000 in a day. That's 1.4 caches per minute. The cacher I was looking at had way more than 2,000 in a day.

Some people don't worry about the accuracy of their statistics. They might come back from a holiday and log all their finds on a single day using the default "Date Logged" value.

Just because someone's statistics indicate they found 5,578 caches in a single day doesn't mean they actually found 5,578 caches in a single day.

Of course it helps if you travel for work, or are retired.

Traveling for work might take you to places where there are lots of caches to be found but you still have to make time when you're not working to get out and find those caches. Finding a lot of caches when I travel for work has never been a priority. I almost always try to find some time to get out and find some caches but it's never more than a handful. Of course, many of the places I travel to don't have a lot of caches anyway. I'll be in Dublin, Ireland in a couple of weeks and will have most of the day on the day that I arrive to get out and find a few. Rather try to find as many as possible I'm thinking of getting on a train and traveling about 20 minutes to "Europes First". Early next week I've got a meeting to discuss a project that could take me back to Ethiopa to a small city I visited a couple of years ago. There's one cache there (there were none the last time I was there) and the next closest is 115 miles away.

I don't think the high numbers finders are armchair cachers and most probably rarely cache alone anymore which speeds up the process.

I do wonder how many of those cachers keep a large supply of replacement caches for throwdowns instead of DNFs.

Would you like an opener for that can of worms you are holding?

(I wouldn't advise it)

I'm in the town next over from Alamogul here in the Bay Area and he's the only cacher I've bumped into out in the wilderness more than twice. He's retired and this is what he does. Being local to him, it's not surprising to see his mark on a log, of course. But I was in rural Mississippi last year, adding an extra day to a business trip to grab a few caches that-a-way and I opened up a cache... and the next line up was his mark. He's everywhere and all the time.

Are there accounts in which multiple people post finds in order to get high numbers? I remember reading somewhere here about the possible existence of such accounts. If so, that's pretty lame.

I have heard of families where multiple members log finds under a shared account instead of paying the premium membership fee for separate accounts. Saving a few dollars doesn't seem particularly [insert chosen ableist term here]. Unless you're participating in a side game where find count is competitive there's no need to worry about the finds on someone else's account.

I do wonder how many of those cachers keep a large supply of replacement caches for throwdowns instead of DNFs.

+1

Ah, and now I FINALLY understand what people mean when they say "throwdown". I have to admit, doing this never even occurred to me.