Swag

I have traded swag in a few caches that have actually had any. I know the rule of only trading if a cacher has something to trade with and trading for something of equal or higher value. But I have looked and have not found anything about when trading a cacher should use the swag he or she traded for at one cache and using it to trade at another. I also have not found anything regarding if the piece of swag should be something useful or practical, even if it is something as silly as a child's toy.

Here are my questions with swag:

1. Does swag traded with an item of my own or after doing so initially does the swag I traded for then have to be traded at the next cache that has swag? I have a bunch of items I am using as swag and so far I have traded using only those items. The swag I trade for is going into the collection, including any coins I trade for.

2. Should swag be something useful? For example I traded a lanyard for a quarter at one cache. Both are useful but I am keeping the quarter to trade at a future cache after I exhaust the items I have selected to trade with. See question one.

3. If a cache container is large enough to hold swag and none is present and if there is no indication there ever was any swag to begin with in the description, logs from others, etc. is it OK to add swag?

4. If swag was not traded with before or not present but the container can hold swag is it OK to return later to trade for/add swag after the cache has been found and logged? My very first and my third cache I found had swag in it, I had nothing to trade for so I did not take any swag.

5. What is up with the discount key chain cards being used as swag? I have found two of those discount key chain cards in two different cache's. One is for Panera Bread, I do not remember what the other one is for. Wouldn't using such a thing as swag open the possibility of identity theft if someone tried to access that persons info of who originally owned the discount card? Should I trade for those or file an NM to have it removed or trade for it then dispose of the card and not use it as swag in the future because of this possibility?

That is all I have on swag for now. I am sure I will have other questions later.

Edited by SUX_VR_40_Rider

1. You may bring items that you think others will like, and trade fairly in any way you wish. If you bring just one thing, you could make trades forevermore inexpensively by trading at the next cache as mentioned. Bear in mind that official Trackables (such as Geocoins) are not trade items.

2. It doesn't have to be useful, but it must be cool. For example, rusty bolts are uncool.

3. You may add swag, but expect it to be empty again soon. Usually Micros are to remain swagless.

4. You may add or trade later. I'd suggest when trading (or whenever you take any item), log what you take (even a note), but when placing be vague (“took JoeBad's sig pin, left goodies”), except that you should be specific when logging Trackables. I place nice sig items, and almost never see any mention of them (nobody likes them?), so I'm less likely to place them again. Just a suggestion: Log it.

5. I have no idea. Ok, sure.

Edited by kunarion

I have traded swag in a few caches that have actually had any. I know the rule of only trading if a cacher has something to trade with and trading for something of equal or higher value. But I have looked and have not found anything about when trading a cacher should use the swag he or she traded for at one cache and using it to trade at another. I also have not found anything regarding if the piece of swag should be something useful or practical, even if it is something as silly as a child's toy.

Here are my questions with swag:

1. Does swag traded with an item of my own or after doing so initially does the swag I traded for then have to be traded at the next cache that has swag? I have a bunch of items I am using as swag and so far I have traded using only those items. The swag I trade for is going into the collection, including any coins I trade for.

2. Should swag be something useful? For example I traded a lanyard for a quarter at one cache. Both are useful but I am keeping the quarter to trade at a future cache after I exhaust the items I have selected to trade with. See question one.

3. If a cache container is large enough to hold swag and none is present and if there is no indication there ever was any swag to begin with in the description, logs from others, etc. is it OK to add swag?

4. If swag was not traded with before or not present but the container can hold swag is it OK to return later to trade for/add swag after the cache has been found and logged? My very first and my third cache I found had swag in it, I had nothing to trade for so I did not take any swag.

5. What is up with the discount key chain cards being used as swag? I have found two of those discount key chain cards in two different cache's. One is for Panera Bread, I do not remember what the other one is for. Wouldn't using such a thing as swag open the possibility of identity theft if someone tried to access that persons info of who originally owned the discount card? Should I trade for those or file an NM to have it removed or trade for it then dispose of the card and not use it as swag in the future because of this possibility?

That is all I have on swag for now. I am sure I will have other questions later.

Kunarion has answered the first 4 well. As for #5, I think Identity theft is a bit of a stretch.

Filing a NM for swag you think shouldn't be there is a bit of a stretch too.

If you're concerned, just leave something else, then remove them and destroy them.

Don't even think about posting a NM over a piece of garbage found in a cache. Just take it, dispose of it, and move on.

"Needs Maintenance" should only be posted if the cache itself needs maintenance. The cache owner shouldn't be expected to run out every time a piece of garbage is in the cache.

Expired discount cards, etc are garbage. Just like expired ski-lift tickets, etc.

I think you're overthinking the whole swag thing. Trade up, trade even, don't trade at all, move swag from one cache to another, just leave swag without taking anything...whatever floats your boat.

There are things that should never be left in caches, but some folks haven't clued in...bubbles, gum, anything sniffy like candles, food of any kind, including pet treats, etc.

There are also the bad things mentioned in the Guidelines:

Contents are family-friendly.

Explosives, fireworks, ammunition, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol and any illicit material should not be placed in a cache. Geocaching is a family-friendly activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

If someone other than you places an inappropriate item in a cache that you own and this is reported, the cache may be temporarily disabled. As the cache owner, you may be asked to remove the questionable item before the cache listing is re-enabled.

Contents are appropriate for outdoor life.

Food items or scented items are inappropriate and disallowed. Animals have a keen sense of smell and have been known to destroy containers to get to these items. Items that may melt in the heat, such as crayons or lip balm, or expand in the cold, such as liquids, should also be excluded from caches.

Always remember that it isn't always just geocachers who find these containers. Kids, teen, other folks find them. Despite what a lot of people think, caches aren't some super-secret thing that only cachers know about. So sometimes "muggles" will leave stuff in them. Dispose of the garbage. I don't think mentioning this stuff in your log is worth the effort. Consider it as as-you-go-CITO.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol
Filing a NM for swag you think shouldn't be there is a bit of a stretch too.

If you're concerned, just leave something else, then remove them and destroy them.

Right, no NM is necessary. I often see an item that should not be there (a leaking bottle of bubble soap, whatever), and trade for it, although the next step is to throw away the traded stuff.

Leaves, sticks, coupons and receipts? No trade. "Did a little CITO".

If it's all rusty bolts, leaves, sticks, coupons and receipts, I may clean it so there's just the log.

Edited by kunarion

-- Feel free to trade in your items, or trade something you previously picked up. It's all good, as long you trade even or up, and remember, travel bugs and traveling geocoins are not SWAG.

-- Doesn't have to be useful. Anything that you 'like' could be cool. Painted rocks are probably not useful, but could be neat. Just any old rock picked up nearby is less appreciated.

-- Feel free to add swag if the container can hold it and there is little or none.

-- If you like, return to the cache. But you should log your visit as a 'write note' rather than another 'found it'. It is nice if you mention that you wanted to swap swag.

-- Haven't seen those, so not quite sure. Gift cards can be very nice swag. I think you mean loyalty type cards? I doubt it would be an identity theft thing, but if it bothers you, feel free to swap them out and dispose of them. NM based on the swag would be going a bit far.

I think you mean loyalty type cards? I doubt it would be an identity theft thing, but if it bothers you, feel free to swap them out and dispose of them. NM based on the swag would be going a bit far.

I also haven't seen those in caches. But a friend found one somewhere (grocery store loyalty discount card), and I've used that card ever since. :anibad:

I think you mean loyalty type cards? I doubt it would be an identity theft thing, but if it bothers you, feel free to swap them out and dispose of them. NM based on the swag would be going a bit far.

I also haven't seen those in caches. But a friend found one somewhere (grocery store loyalty discount card), and I've used that card ever since. :anibad:

They are referred to as loyalty card, but also discount or membership cards. Most are just a simple membership that is free, some have a premium membership people pay for. Some of these even have credit cards/bank accounts attached to them for online ordering. One example is Lowe's and Home Depot. I have one from a self service kiosk called Country Kitchen I used at a previous employer. It has my debit card attached to it to load funds onto the account. Even if the discount/membership card is a closed account the bank info attached to it never goes away, it is just archived somewhere, but if someone is tech savvy enough the account could be hacked along with the bank or credit card account. What I will do going forward is when I find these is trade for them and destroy them.

What about "theme" or type specific swag?

What I mean is I am still thinking about what I want to do for my first cache. I know I want to put swag in it and am thinking about making it about one specific type of swag. That is lapel pins. What I mean by this is when a cacher researches the cache they will see in the description ONLY trade swag if you have a lapel pin to trade for, otherwise please do not trade or take the current lapel pin in the container. I will also ask that those that find and trade the pins to log and photograph what they traded with and for and post photos of the pins as they are traded.

Is there such a thing with swag trading?

What I mean is I am still thinking about what I want to do for my first cache. I know I want to put swag in it and am thinking about making it about one specific type of swag. That is lapel pins. What I mean by this is when a cacher researches the cache they will see in the description ONLY trade swag if you have a lapel pin to trade for, otherwise please do not trade or take the current lapel pin in the container. I will also ask that those that find and trade the pins to log and photograph what they traded with and for and post photos of the pins as they are traded.

This doesn't tend to work for very long.

I take it you speak from experience?

I tried a "theme" cache as well with my second hide. I wanted it to be a "spooky" swag cache because it is located on what was said to be a haunted site. It didn't work for very long at all. I eventually took the suggestion that people put that type of swag in the cache off the cache page.

Eleven years of geocaching experience.

Some times the first group of finders who trade or leave swag will follow the theme.

After a short while, the theme is ignored or not noticed. Then the theme items disappear, to be replaced by the typical junk.

Like everything else in this game, you can hope that folks will play along, but don't get your panties in a twist if when they don't.

B.

Some times the first group of finders who trade or leave swag will follow the theme.

After a short while, the theme is ignored or not noticed. Then the theme items disappear, to be replaced by the typical junk.

Like everything else in this game, you can hope that folks will play along, but don't get your panties in a twist if when they don't.

B.

Or your boxers, or your briefs, or your thong or whatever gender-irrelevant undergarments are applicable.

B.

+1

All but our "5" terrain hides have turned up almost empty when maintenance is performed (a big reason I wonder why folks can't find the trackables that are still in 'em - sheesh...).

Like team sports now, trophies for everbody! :)

IMHO, any cache that isn't large enough to hold swag items shouldn't be considered a cache and should be removed from play immediately. Granted, I'm likely a minority in that opinion, but I have a pretty strong attachment to accurate use of language and, technically, a cache without items isn't a cache at all: cache: n: a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place.

So, hand in hand with that viewpoint, I absolutely think you should add swag at any and every opportunity! Heck, even if it's a micro, put something that'll fit inside. I carry very small items for just that purpose.

even if it's a micro, put something that'll fit inside. I carry very small items for just that purpose.

I don't advise cachers to add swag to Micros, because finders almost never have suitable tiny items to trade. And because on my first cache (a Micro film canister), my swag got accidentally dumped out and lost. The finders didn't expect there would be swag.

But at one Micro (a super tiny ammo can), I brought some button beads in various shapes, and made this log:

"Cool place! Took die. The ammo can was looking a little sparse, so I left binoculars, a pair of boots, a dragonfly, a moose, two fish, and a ladybug."

:anicute:

Edited by kunarion
even if it's a micro, put something that'll fit inside. I carry very small items for just that purpose.

I don't advise cachers to add swag to Micros, because finders almost never have suitable tiny items to trade. And because on my first cache (a Micro film canister), my swag got accidentally dumped out and lost. The finders didn't expect there would be swag.

But at one Micro (a super tiny ammo can), I brought some button beads in various shapes, and made this log:

"Cool place! Took die. The ammo can was looking a little sparse, so I left binoculars, a pair of boots, a dragonfly, a moose, two fish, and a ladybug."

It's also kind of annoying when micro containers get packed with swag and become leaky because the lid doesn't fit.

It's also kind of annoying when micro containers get packed with swag and become leaky because the lid doesn't fit.

More annoying than a fake cache? B) As I read constantly on this forum, everyone is free to play in their own way. If I can't put something inside, what's the point?

To be clear though, I wouldn't put something inside if I couldn't properly close the container. Even though I wish all micros and smaller would disappear forever, I wouldn't intentionally leave them open to the elements. That's just rude.

Edited by CFphoto

More annoying than a fake cache? B) As I read constantly on this forum, everyone is free to play in their own way. If I can't put something inside, what's the point?

To be clear though, I wouldn't put something inside if I couldn't properly close the container. Even though I wish all micros and smaller would disappear forever, I wouldn't intentionally leave them open to the elements. That's just rude.

Yes, everyone is free to play in their own way. This is just an issue that is worth pointing out.

Micros are the smallest size category.

Yes, everyone is free to play in their own way. This is just an issue that is worth pointing out.

True, but we all know how many nanos are out there taking up incredibly valuable map real estate. Sorry, do I sound bitter? Anyway, I don't bother with nanos at all because I know there is no potential for a real cache and I don't enjoy the process of finding them. I read through descriptions extremely thoroughly just so that I don't accidentally stumble across a 'micro' that is actually a nano.

IMHO, any cache that isn't large enough to hold swag items shouldn't be considered a cache and should be removed from play immediately. Granted, I'm likely a minority in that opinion, but I have a pretty strong attachment to accurate use of language and, technically, a cache without items isn't a cache at all: cache: n: a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place.

So, hand in hand with that viewpoint, I absolutely think you should add swag at any and every opportunity! Heck, even if it's a micro, put something that'll fit inside. I carry very small items for just that purpose.

What items do you add to micro cache's that are small enough? What about nano cache's such as the bison tubes or similar size containers?

If I can't put something inside, what's the point?
I'm confused. Wasn't there a log sheet inside? ;)

Yep, but I didn't put it there. Nice try though.

What items do you add to micro cache's that are small enough? What about nano cache's such as the bison tubes or similar size containers?

Typically marbles, sometimes foreign coins, used to do a lot of fishing sinkers. My count numbers here don't really reflect my activity because I never bother to log micros online. I'll sign the physical log online isn't worth bothering with. The few that I do have on my account are ones my wife did after we drove away. I dunno, I feel bad just typing 'tftc' (my wife has no such compunction) but micros are almost never worth more than that IME. Someday I'll find a truly worthwhile micro. Someday.

I don't do nanos, ever. If I go to a cache and find out it's actually a nano, I turn around and leave. Not worth my time or effort. Nanos are one of the worst things to happen to geocaching IMO.

Edited by CFphoto

What items do you add to micro cache's that are small enough?

If we use the film canister as the common micro example, it's 30mm in diameter and has approximately a 1.5oz/50ml capacity. Lapel pins, like those tiny country or city emblems/flags would be a good item for some micro size caches. They might even be good for leaky micros if they can handle getting wet i.e. if the metal doesn't rust up. I hand-paint 20mm ceramic magnets and leave those in some 50ml+ micros (if the logsheet doesn't take up all the space). The ceramic and lacquer paint can handle getting wet. Micro geocoins (1"/25mm) will fit in some micros. Those popular custom round tags that shall not be named are 23mm.

What items do you add to micro cache's that are small enough?
If we use the film canister as the common micro example, it's 30mm in diameter and has approximately a 1.5oz/50ml capacity. [/size]Lapel pins, like those tiny country or city emblems/flags would be a good item for some micro size caches. They might even be good for leaky micros if they can handle getting wet i.e. if the metal doesn't rust up. I hand-paint 20mm ceramic magnets and leave those in some 50ml+ micros (if the logsheet doesn't take up all the space). The ceramic and lacquer paint can handle getting wet. Micro geocoins (1"/25mm) will fit in some micros. Those popular custom round tags that shall not be named are 23mm.
I've also found assorted personal signature items in micro-size containers. And coins (foreign, domestic, or geo). And various beads and buttons. And stickers.

True, but we all know how many nanos are out there taking up incredibly valuable map real estate. Sorry, do I sound bitter? Anyway, I don't bother with nanos at all because I know there is no potential for a real cache and I don't enjoy the process of finding them. I read through descriptions extremely thoroughly just so that I don't accidentally stumble across a 'micro' that is actually a nano.

Oh.

Huh?

Cache: noun

1. a hiding place, especially one in the ground, for ammunition, food, treasures, etc.: She hid her jewelry in a little cache in the cellar.

2. anything so hidden: The enemy never found our cache of food.

The hidden container is the 'cache'. The contents of the hidden container are the log sheet and swag. If a hidden container doesn't have room for swag, then that doesn't mean it's not a hidden container (ie, cache).

Huh?

1. a hiding place, especially one in the ground, for ammunition, food, treasures, etc.: She hid her jewelry in a little cache in the cellar.

The hidden container is the 'cache'. The contents of the hidden container are the log sheet and swag. If a hidden container doesn't have room for swag, then that doesn't mean it's not a hidden container (ie, cache).

Doesn't this also mean if the container or cache is without the log sheet or the log sheet is so damaged by the elements it cannot be signed the cache was still found simply because the container, or by this definition the hidden container is the cache?

Huh?

Disagree. As the definition I originally included specifically stated, I consider a cache to be a collection of items. Not the container, not a specific item (log book), but rather a hidden collection of items. You are free to disagree, of course. Regardless, I'll continue to regard anything too small to hide swag in to be a fake cache and a disservice to this wonderful outdoor endeavor. (My opinion would change instantly if the 528ft rule were amended to disregard micros, especially in places with myriad hiding spots like woodland areas. I'd still have little interest in finding them but I wouldn't then consider them to be harming geocaching as a whole.)

Huh?

Doesn't this also mean if the container or cache is without the log sheet or the log sheet is so damaged by the elements it cannot be signed the cache was still found simply because the container, or by this definition the hidden container is the cache?

Quality logical thinking right there! Can't have it both ways!

Huh?

It really depends. If the cache itself is terribly damaged and the logsheet is gone, cachers who apply best practices will typically report that as Needs Maintenance with a full description, and return to sign the log when the cache has been repaired.

Sometimes a cache owner may tell the cacher that's it okay to log it, given the condition. It's up to the cacher to accept that offer or not.

If the cache is sort of okay, the log is there and it's just full or wet, it's generally acceptable to add a piece of paper or otherwise find a way to sign, but the cache should be reported as Needs Maintenance so subsequent finders aren't required to keep adding paper to a cache that's already in poor repair.

Refer to the guidelines for a proper definition of what constitutes a geocache in the context of this game. Dictionary definitions of "cache" aren't really applicable.

Edited by narcissa

IMHO, any cache that isn't large enough to hold swag items shouldn't be considered a cache and should be removed from play immediately. Granted, I'm likely a minority in that opinion, but I have a pretty strong attachment to accurate use of language and, technically, a cache without items isn't a cache at all: cache: n: a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place

Huh?

Are we defining "cache" in regards to Geocaching.com or in regards to the dictionary definition?

Dictionary definitions are what I noted above. According to these definitions, a hidden container would be a 'cache'. The definitions noted above were mentioned to counter the idea that a hidden container without SWAG is not a 'cache'. The exact text being countered was "a cache without items isn't a cache at all".

Now, if you want to get to the definition used on geocaching.com - A cache is "A container hidden that includes, at minimum, a logbook for geocachers to sign." If a cacher finds a cache and the logbook is unsignable because of its condition, then most cachers would consider that a find and post both a "Found It" log and a "Needs Maintenance" log. If a cacher finds part of a container, or a container that doesn't have a log sheet, then the guidelines say it's not a find. It's quite possible that the cacher found litter, part of an old container that has since been replaced, or a decoy container.

IMHO, any cache that isn't large enough to hold swag items shouldn't be considered a cache and should be removed from play immediately. Granted, I'm likely a minority in that opinion, but I have a pretty strong attachment to accurate use of language and, technically, a cache without items isn't a cache at all: cache: n: a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place

Huh?

Are we defining "cache" in regards to Geocaching.com or in regards to the dictionary definition?

Dictionary definitions are what I noted above. According to these definitions, a hidden container would be a 'cache'. The definitions noted above were mentioned to counter the idea that a hidden container without SWAG is not a 'cache'. The exact text being countered was "a cache without items isn't a cache at all".

Now, if you want to get to the definition used on geocaching.com - A cache is "A container hidden that includes, at minimum, a logbook for geocachers to sign." If a cacher finds a cache and the logbook is unsignable because of its condition, then most cachers would consider that a find and post both a "Found It" log and a "Needs Maintenance" log. If a cacher finds part of a container, or a container that doesn't have a log sheet, then the guidelines say it's not a find. It's quite possible that the cacher found litter, part of an old container that has since been replaced, or a decoy container.

It would seem the definition of what a cache actually is is very subjective and open to interpretation. On one hand we have the dictionary or Webster's, on the other we have the geocaching.com definition and on yet another hand we have individual definitions which may or may not include a combination of Webster's and geocaching.com.

It would seem the definition of what a cache actually is is very subjective and open to interpretation. On one hand we have the dictionary or Webster's, on the other we have the geocaching.com definition and on yet another hand we have individual definitions which may or may not include a combination of Webster's and geocaching.com.

I don't agree that it's subjective. Dictionaries define the word 'cache', and I don't think any of us are going to change what dictionaries say. Of course, different dictionaries might use different wording.

In the world of geocaching.com - the definition of 'geocache' and 'cache' are the same*.

Cache - A shortened version of the word geocache.

Geocache - A container hidden that includes, at minimum, a logbook for geocachers to sign. Also known as a cache.

What seems to be subjective in geocaching is the definition of a 'find', not the definition of a 'cache'. ETA: Definition of a "find".

It's akin to sports:

Basket - dictionary definition of 'basket' differs from basketball's definition, where a 'basket' is a score.

Run - dictionary definition of 'run' differs from baseball's definition, where a 'run' is a score.

*Other caching sites may have different definitions of 'cache', 'geocache', and/or 'find'. But since this forum is about Groundspeak's geocaching.com site, then I'm ignoring what other caching sites might say.

Edited by noncentric

Huh?

The definition I provided was also a dictionary definition, so it clearly depends upon which dictionary a person is using.

"cache

kaSH/Submit

noun

a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place.

"an arms cache"

synonyms: hoard, store, stockpile, stock, supply, reserve; "

I don't agree that it's subjective. Dictionaries define the word 'cache', and I don't think any of us are going to change what dictionaries say. Of course, different dictionaries might use different wording.

You don't agree it's subjective but provided a definition completely contrary to the dictionary definition that was already provided in this thread. The definition of the word is clearly subjective, if it weren't every dictionary would define it the same way and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I pay more attention to the language usage than the definition of Groundspeak. To me, and the dictionary I trust, a cache without items is not a cache. I agree with that dictionary definition.

I don't see it that way at all...

When you enter any of Groundspeak's sites, you agree to their Terms Of Use.

" By accessing or using the services below, you agree to all the terms in this Agreement and all terms that are incorporated into this Agreement..."

So, Groundspeak's seems (to me...) to be the definition we need to concern ourselves with here. :)

You don't agree it's subjective but provided a definition completely contrary to the dictionary definition that was already provided in this thread. The definition of the word is clearly subjective, if it weren't every dictionary would define it the same way and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I pay more attention to the language usage than the definition of Groundspeak. To me, and the dictionary I trust, a cache without items is not a cache. I agree with that dictionary definition.

Let me clarify. I don't think the definition of a cache in the context of geocaching.com is subjective.

The dictionary definition of a cache is indeed subjective in the sense that personal feelings are used to determine which dictionary definition one wants to use. Once a dictionary definition is chosen, then identifying something as a 'cache' or not seems pretty objective.

Merriam-Webster's Simple Definition:

a group of things that have been hidden in a secret place because they are illegal or have been stolen

a part of a computer's memory where information is kept so that the computer can find it very quickly

Merriam-Webster's Full Definition:

1a: a hiding place especially for concealing and preserving provisions or implements

1b: a secure place of storage

2: something hidden or stored in a cache

3: a computer memory with very short access time used for storage of frequently or recently used instructions or data —called also cache memory

ETA: Forgot to add my source for the definitions I included earlier.

Dictionary.com - Cache: noun

Edited by noncentric

I feel like almost all of those definitions lend themselves towards my argument/definition. They all have something to do with hiding things, not just containers. Yes, some definitions call the container itself the cache, but the purpose of the cache is the stuff, not just a random container without items.

So I continue to maintain that caches too small to contain items shouldn't even have a place within the world of geocaching.

I feel like almost all of those definitions lend themselves towards my argument/definition. They all have something to do with hiding things, not just containers. Yes, some definitions call the container itself the cache, but the purpose of the cache is the stuff, not just a random container without items.

So I continue to maintain that caches too small to contain items shouldn't even have a place within the world of geocaching.

From the Glossary, Groundspeak's definition of "geocache is... "Geocache - A container hidden that includes, at minimum, a logbook for geocachers to sign. Also known as a cache".

You agree to their definition every time you enter any of their sites, as per the Terms Of Use. :)

No I don't. I agree to abide by their rules while using the site, nothing more, nothing less. I certainly don't agree to use nonsensical definitions in place of rational ones.

Regardless, and back on topic, swag is absolutely something that should be added at any and every opportunity. Go forth and swag!

This isn't particularly constructive or rational given the volume and popularity of micro-sized geocaches.

The site helpfully offers tools for geocachers who wish to limit their own geocaching to particular sizes.

And you're certainly welcome to develop an alternative listing site that defines "geocache" differently. Let us know how that goes.

In the 'what irks you most' I see micro-related complaints more than any other topic. Power Trails are a function of micros, micros in the woods, etc. Heck, even throw downs are 90%+ micros! After all, it's easy to carry around a pill bottle to discard when needed, much harder to lug around an ammo can!

Popularity is meaningless. After all, Trump is popular, so is Bernie. That doesn't make either one a good candidate. (Not looking to start a political debate, just illustrate my point.)

Micros are a cancer.

Edited by CFphoto

Huh?

And at the end of the day, Groundspeaks definition is the only one that really matters. While they define a cache as "a container hidden that includes a logbook", they also recognize virtual caches, earth caches, webcams, and even events as a type of cache.

I certainly don't agree to use nonsensical definitions in place of rational ones.

There are terms used in Geocaching that have specific meanings to Geocaching, the fact that in many cases even Groundspeak can't provide a clear definition, notwithstanding. :anicute:

A “Geocache” is the container with its logbook, yet the “treasure” (the classical “cache” of riches), may be the location, with an otherwise empty container. Look at Geocaches, and the current contents, if anything, are almost never one's dictionary definition of treasure.

Groundspeak uses words that have varied meanings outside the hobby, so literalizing the words will create problems. One especially abused word is “Collectible”. You may have seen posts in this forum where someone's waiting see if a treasured Geocoin will be marked “Collectible” so they can keep it forever. "Collectible" is a selection on the Geocaching web site that allows an Owner to manage a large number of owned coins (activated and logged, registered to that Owner, usually), and has nothing to do with giving away the Owner's rights to that property. In a dictionary, “collect” means to take and keep, the word “collect” is used interchangeably in the forum, and sticky-fingered types are fond of the dictionary, providing a convenient argument to deny the etiquette of Geocaching.

If you require a strict dictionary definition of your choosing for Geocaching terms, I can't wait til you find out about “travel bug” or “multi”. :ph34r:

If you wish, start another topic about how Micros aren't caches (prepare to get the thread combined with the rest). But it's unrelated to the OP's topic. For help, refer to the dictionary definition of definition of “Topic”.

Edited by kunarion

It's directly related because it relates to the original question of whether geocaches should contain swag. I argue that they absolutely should because, well, it's the etymological basis for the existence of the word.

Anyway, you're not going to convince me and I doubt I'll convince you, so I feel like we could leave it here, no?

So, OP, definitely put in swag!

In the world of geocaching.com - the definition of 'geocache' and 'cache' are the same*.

Cache - A shortened version of the word geocache.

Geocache - A container hidden that includes, at minimum, a logbook for geocachers to sign. Also known as a cache.

What seems to be subjective in geocaching is the definition of a 'find', not the definition of a 'cache'. ETA: Definition of a "find".

It's akin to sports:

Basket - dictionary definition of 'basket' differs from basketball's definition, where a 'basket' is a score.

Run - dictionary definition of 'run' differs from baseball's definition, where a 'run' is a score.

*Other caching sites may have different definitions of 'cache', 'geocache', and/or 'find'. But since this forum is about Groundspeak's geocaching.com site, then I'm ignoring what other caching sites might say.

From the geocaching site Feb 2001. Caches back then were expected to be a container roomy enough for a pencil, a logbook, an info sheet and swag, although not mandatory to add to the cache when placing the cache, but definitely expected. When I started back in December 2001 this was the norm.

Step 2 - Preparing Your Cache

First, you need a container. Anything water resistant, snow resistant, etc (depending on your climate), will do, but geocachers have had good success with plastic buckets, tupperware (or rubbermaid) containers, ammo boxes, or unused sewer pipes (really!). You'll also want to invest in some zip-loc baggies to put the items into in case your container leaks.

Next, you'll need a logbook and a pen. A small spiral notebook does the trick. Make sure to put a pen in the cache as well! The author always forgets to bring one when searching for a cache.

(11/20 note: If you are an an area where the temperature dips below freezing, make sure to bring a soft lead pencil to place in the stash. Pens tend to freeze and are rendered useless
:)

It's also recommended to have a note to welcome the cache finder and let them know what it is all about (if they accidentally found the cache). We have a letter you can use in both
and

Lastly, you can put goodies in the stash. It's recommended, but not necessary! Some ideas of items to give as gifts:

• Disposable camera - Put one in and ask everyone to take a picture of themselves and put it back in the stash. Later you can develop the photos and place them online.
    • Cheap toys - play-doh, silly putty, action figures, etc.
    • CDs, VGA Cards, gift certificates, dollar bills, gold bars, etc.

It's up to you what you want to put in your cache, budget permitting. If you are a Dot com millionaire, I would hope you would pony up a bit of cache (err cash), but most of us can spend less than $10 to place a decent stash.
Do not put food in a cache! Critters have better noses than we do, and will bite, nibble or swallow your cache in an attempt to get to the goodies. Bottled water is a good alternative (and refreshing to geocachers).

Please! No alcohol, tobacco, firearms, prescription or illicit drugs. Let's keep this safe and legal.

I certainly don't agree to use nonsensical definitions in place of rational ones.

There are terms used in Geocaching that have specific meanings to Geocaching, the fact that in many cases even Groundspeak can't provide a clear definition, notwithstanding. :anicute:

A “Geocache” is the container with its logbook, yet the “treasure” (the classical “cache” of riches), may be the location, with an otherwise empty container. Look at Geocaches, and the current contents, if anything, are almost never one's dictionary definition of treasure.

Groundspeak uses words that have varied meanings outside the hobby, so literalizing the words will create problems. One especially abused word is “Collectible”. You may have seen posts in this forum where someone's waiting see if a treasured Geocoin will be marked “Collectible” so they can keep it forever. "Collectible" is a selection on the Geocaching web site that allows an Owner to manage a large number of owned coins (activated and logged, registered to that Owner, usually), and has nothing to do with giving away the Owner's rights to that property. In a dictionary, “collect” means to take and keep, the word “collect” is used interchangeably in the forum, and sticky-fingered types are fond of the dictionary, providing a convenient argument to deny the etiquette of Geocaching.

If you require a strict dictionary definition of your choosing for Geocaching terms, I can't wait til you find out about “travel bug” or “multi”. :ph34r:

If you wish, start another topic about how Micros aren't caches (prepare to get the thread combined with the rest). But it's unrelated to the OP's topic. For help, refer to the dictionary definition of definition of “Topic”.

I have been if I am carrying any and if the container is large enough to hold swag. When I ride bike while geocaching I carry the swag I use in a large prescription bottle. I do not replace the original cache container's that I find with it, it is just used to easily house the swag in the seat frame bag on my bike.

When I ride bike while geocaching I carry the swag I use in a large prescription bottle. I do not replace the original cache container's that I find with it, it is just used to easily house the swag in the seat frame bag on my bike.

Is it small swag designed for Micros? I almost never add an item to a Micro cache, because even if the item can be crammed in there, the log will get crumpled. And because the norm is no swag in Micros. Also because it would be bad if swag degradation were to extend to Micros -- imagine the tiny pieces of expired coupons placed in "trade" :anitongue:. Except for my own caches, I've placed swag in Micros twice, and one was in that "ammo can", because I thought the Find log would be fun. Depending on the size (big pill bottle, for example), it's probably OK if there's room. But don't expect fair trades.

Be careful about items that may get stuck in Micro tubes. I had some small one-holed metal personalized coin tag-like things (I'll call just them "Noodles" for short). The Noodles fit my match tube perfectly -- at first, in the top. Halfway down, that kind of coin stops because the tube becomes slightly less wide, but so subtly, it's hard to tell. I almost jammed that Micro up good!

Edited by kunarion