First more challenging cache find

Forgive me if I sound like a giddy little boy who just discovered his new bicycle on Christmas morning or a "this one time at band camp" story.

I upgraded my membership to Premium today. I decided on my bike commute to work I was going to try and find my first more challenging cache. I filtered it to be no smaller than a small container and difficulty and terrain of no less than 2. I found a cache 3/4 of a mile from my home. Today my wife also wanted to meet me somewhere for lunch. I advised her I was going to try and find the cache but to meet me at a restaurant. I left home, excited to try and find the higher rating cache. I rode to the cache location, parked the bike. I looked and looked but did not find it right away. then I saw it laying on the ground under the trail bridge. My log entry will tell the next part of this experience:

Found it but it looked like it was just thrown under the bridge by a previous cacher. Had to brave the tall weeds and potential poison ivy to retrieve it from under the bridge. I noticed there container has a wire wrapped around it that is likely used to hang it from under the bridge structure. The wire is broken and the part used to hang the cache from is missing. Where I found the cache it would eventually be washed down the embankment by water draining from the bridge when it rains. It look liked it had already started doing so prior to today. I checked and there was nothing else that indicated this is a throw down and no other cache container is or had been present. The container does match the description indicated. I placed the cache in a hiding spot under the bridge so it will not be washed down the hill to the creek below.

A question I have is should I file an NM since it was very likely hung from the wire, part of which is now missing and it is no longer hanging from anything? Or should I replace the wire and rehang it myself? I do think I was right in placing the cache in a hiding spot under the bridge so it does not wash down the hill and into the creek below from rain water run off and drainage. By "saving" this cache I think I have helped keep this game enjoyable for all geocacher's. We have had a lot of rain lately in the form of strong and severe storms with strong winds, hail and heavy rain. In some areas there have been tornado's. I did not notice if there is wire hanging from under the bridge and the container just simply broke and fell to the ground.

I am not asking what you would have done in this situation because I know better than anyone here the type of weather my area is experiencing and the type of terrain is under the trail bridge and that there are already ruts being cut into the ground form the water runoff, despite the grass and weed growth. What I am asking though is what would you do going forward regarding this cache? I am also asking when you first got started did you feel excited, especially about searching for and finding a more challenging cache? Do you still get that feeling?

Edited by SUX_VR_40_Rider

If you think that something is broken (e.g., the attachment mechanism), then go ahead and log Needs Maintenance.

And yes, it's still fun to spot those challenging hides. One of my Favorites was my 666th milestone cache, which is a D4 custom-camouflage cache that even the owner describes as "an EVIL hide." Yeah, spotting that one was fun.

Forgive me if I sound like a giddy little boy who just discovered his new bicycle on Christmas morning or a "this one time at band camp" story.

I upgraded my membership to Premium today. I decided on my bike commute to work I was going to try and find my first more challenging cache. I filtered it to be no smaller than a small container and difficulty and terrain of no less than 2. I found a cache 3/4 of a mile from my home. Today my wife also wanted to meet me somewhere for lunch. I advised her I was going to try and find the cache but to meet me at a restaurant. I left home, excited to try and find the higher rating cache. I rode to the cache location, parked the bike. I looked and looked but did not find it right away. then I saw it laying on the ground under the trail bridge. My log entry will tell the next part of this experience:

Found it but it looked like it was just thrown under the bridge by a previous cacher. Had to brave the tall weeds and potential poison ivy to retrieve it from under the bridge. I noticed there container has a wire wrapped around it that is likely used to hang it from under the bridge structure. The wire is broken and the part used to hang the cache from is missing. Where I found the cache it would eventually be washed down the embankment by water draining from the bridge when it rains. It look liked it had already started doing so prior to today. I checked and there was nothing else that indicated this is a throw down and no other cache container is or had been present. The container does match the description indicated. I placed the cache in a hiding spot under the bridge so it will not be washed down the hill to the creek below.

A question I have is should I file an NA since it was very likely hung from the wire, part of which is now missing and it is no longer hanging from anything? Or should I replace the wire and rehang it myself? I do think I was right in placing the cache in a hiding spot under the bridge so it does not wash down the hill and into the creek below from rain water run off and drainage. By "saving" this cache I think I have helped keep this game enjoyable for all geocacher's. We have had a lot of rain lately in the form of strong and severe storms with strong winds, hail and heavy rain. In some areas there have been tornado's. I did not notice if there is wire hanging from under the bridge and the container just simply broke and fell to the ground.

I am not asking what you would have done in this situation because I know better than anyone here the type of weather my area is experiencing and the type of terrain is under the trail bridge and that there are already ruts being cut into the ground form the water runoff, despite the grass and weed growth. What I am asking though is what would you do going forward regarding this cache? I am also asking when you first got started did you feel excited, especially about searching for and finding a more challenging cache? Do you still get that feeling?

Sounds like what you did with the cache was probably best under the circumstances. Now log a NM (not NA) and let the CO come out and rehang it properly.

By "more challenging cache" I assume you mean caches that non-premium members don't see on the app. I never had that issue because I am not and never have been an app-cacher.

Part of your log makes me question whether what you found was the cache. You said:

I checked and there was nothing else that indicated this is a throw down and no other cache container is or had been present. The container does match the description indicated.

It sounds like you've decided this was the cache based solely on the type of container. Was there no log inside? No swag? No markings? If all you found was an empty pill bottle, then I'm not sure you found the cache. Did you look for anything at the bridge abutment? That's usually where caches are hidden, especially if it's a D1 like this one.

Or should I replace the wire and rehang it myself?

Leave that kind of thing to the cache's owner. They know where the cache is supposed to be; you'd only be guessing.

I am also asking when you first got started did you feel excited, especially about searching for and finding a more challenging cache? Do you still get that feeling?

I got that feeling many times, and still do. Anytime you're faced with a new challenge and prevail, you get a real sense of accomplishment. Sometimes it's a clever hide style I haven't seen before, sometimes it's where I was pushing the envelope (e.g. higher difficulty or terrain rating), and sometimes it's finding the cache when several previous finders had failed. Just this past weekend, I found a 2002 cache that had previously been unattainable by me due to the need for a 4WD vehicle. I made it up about 25 kilometres of rough logging road (and back), made it through a wicked bushwack to find the first stage information (it was a pleasant stroll when it was originally hidden!), and managed to find the final container on the first attempt where others had to make multiple attempts. I spent all day working on a single cache, but it felt great to rise to the challenge and make the find.

What I am asking though is what would you do going forward regarding this cache?

If you're confident what you found was the cache, log a Needs Maintenance describing the problem and where you left the container, and move on to the next cache. Nothing more.

Edited by The A-Team

A question I have is should I file an NA since it was very likely hung from the wire, part of which is now missing and it is no longer hanging from anything? Or should I replace the wire and rehang it myself? I do think I was right in placing the cache in a hiding spot under the bridge so it does not wash down the hill and into the creek below from rain water run off and drainage. By "saving" this cache I think I have helped keep this game enjoyable for all geocacher's. We have had a lot of rain lately in the form of strong and severe storms with strong winds, hail and heavy rain. In some areas there have been tornado's. I did not notice if there is wire hanging from under the bridge and the container just simply broke and fell to the ground.

Sounds like what you did with the cache was probably best under the circumstances. Now log a NM (not NA) and let the CO come out and rehang it properly.

By "more challenging cache" I assume you mean caches that non-premium members don't see on the app. I never had that issue because I am not and never have been an app-cacher.

Yes, the difference is the terrain rating. I was going to go after and log the more challenging, higher rated caches and then ask what others here thought about doing so even though they do not show on the app without being a premium member. I decided not to for fear of people scolding me or coming down on me for it, quoting the rules, etc. So I decided to become a premium member first.

Yes, the difference is the terrain rating. I was going to go after and log the more challenging, higher rated caches and then ask what others here thought about doing so even though they do not show on the app without being a premium member. I decided not to for fear of people scolding me or coming down on me for it, quoting the rules, etc. So I decided to become a premium member first.

There is no rule against a non-prem member going for the more difficult D/T caches. If a non-prem member uses the website and a GPSr instead of a smart-phone and an app, said non-prem member can go for any cache s/he wants to, even PMO caches, but that's another issue.

This cache is two containers in one. The smaller container is the two soda bottle cap style which holds the paper log. I signed the log and the last time it had been signed before today was Nov 2015. The larger container is a pill bottle with a large opening and a threaded lid and is painted dark OD green. This houses the smaller container and the swag.

I also did something else to improve this cache based on discussions and things I have learned from here. It has to do with the swag. The swag in this container was a orange wrist band with some logo on it made out of the same type of rubber material the LIVESTRONG bands are made out of. I do not know what the logo was or what it said. The orange band was covered in mold or mildew. I traded it for a bicycle pin I have had in my collection for at least ten years. Some of you may have seen these before. They are plastic. They came in red, royal blue, hi-viz yellow or orange and glow in the dark. I traded for the glow in the dark. I threw the moldy wrist band away as it is unusable.

IMO, if you challenge yourself, then meet that challenge, you should feel a sense of accomplishment. If you keep adding new personal goals or challenges, you will continue to get that feeling of accomplishment when you complete them. Don't make competitive goals against other cachers. Don't worry about the other guy. These are your goals, and they need to match what you want, and are capable of.

I base this on my own experience. I get a feeling of accomplishment by setting personal geocaching goals, then going out and completing them. Initially, it was just going out and getting caches. Then, I flirted with FTF until I got one, and I'm no longer interested. I started a streak, and gave up after 25 days, because it became a chore. I have now changed to goals that require finding multiple caches. I still get a sense of accomplishment for each cache found that advances me towards my goals. Below is a list of recently completed, and current goals that I have set for myself. Some of these match common challenge cache requirements. I have multiple, active goals, and my goals (except for GeoTours) don't have a time requirement for completion. That helps me to keep geocaching from becoming a chore.

• Completed GeoTours

McKenzie River (Lane County, OR, now retired)

Florence (Lane County, OR, now retired)

Oakridge/Westfir (Lane County, OR, now retired)

Territorial Highway (Lane County, OR, now retired)

Spokane History

WA State Parks

• Jasmer

Completed

• D/T Matrix

Yeah, maybe I will, not really high on my list

• 360 degree circle

Find a cache at every degree in a circle around your home location. I only have 80 degrees left to find.

• Well-traveled cacher

Find a cache in every 5 mile band from your home location, out to 500 miles. I have completed it out to 320 miles, and I have around a dozen bands left to reach 500 miles.

• 365/366 days

Completed Jan - mid Aug, sporadic Aug - Dec.

• Different cache types in a day

Managed 9 in a day.

This cache is two containers in one. The smaller container is the two soda bottle cap style which holds the paper log. I signed the log and the last time it had been signed before today was Nov 2015. The larger container is a pill bottle with a large opening and a threaded lid and is painted dark OD green. This houses the smaller container and the swag.

Okay, you definitely did find the right container then. Make sure you log a Needs Maintenance on that cache to let the owner know there's an issue. You did mention the issue in your Found It log, but logging a separate Needs Maintenance is more likely to grab the owner's attention. As a cache owner, I often get a bit behind in reading the Found It logs on my caches, but I'll look at DNFs and NMs right away.

Okay, you definitely did find the right container then. Make sure you log a Needs Maintenance on that cache to let the owner know there's an issue. You did mention the issue in your Found It log, but logging a separate Needs Maintenance is more likely to grab the owner's attention. As a cache owner, I often get a bit behind in reading the Found It logs on my caches, but I'll look at DNFs and NMs right away.

I will file a NM report. I also checked past online log history for this cache and did see the CO does respond to NM reports. Though the last time he did it took him a couple of months. But seeing how it was the winter time and around the Christmas holiday season when the last NM was reported that is understandable.

Don't "fix" it based on what you think it was supposed to be. Only the CO truly knows what it was supposed to be like as they were the ones to hide it. Even the first finder might not have returned it to the EXACT same spot in the EXACT same manner. The NM log, as has been mentioned, is the correct way to go.

Don't be surprised if you find a D/T rating that doesn't seem to match your experience when finding the cache. I've found many caches that I thought were incorrectly rated, based on how I rated my caches. Some were rated too high and others were rated too low. I make note of it in my log, but don't really pursue the issue much. Only twice have I emailed a CO about a D/T rating (one was a new hider) discrepancy. One cacher based the ratings of the hide on a person in a wheelchair rather than a "regular" cacher. The other time was when I thought the ratings were reversed - the D was the T. Turns out I was right. Once you start caching outside of IA, you'll find some regional differences with regard to rating. It's no big deal and is rather common.

I upgraded my membership to Premium today. I decided on my bike commute to work I was going to try and find my first more challenging cache.

..snip...

Found it but it looked like it was just thrown under the bridge by a previous cacher. Had to brave the tall weeds and potential poison ivy to retrieve it from under the bridge.

...snip...

You may notice in the Forums menu a forum called "Getting Started." That would be a more suitable place for these kinds of questions.

That said, I would reiterate my comment: if you are getting this spun up about about such minor issues, I think you should seriously consider whether geocaching will be a good activity for you.

I upgraded my membership to Premium today. I decided on my bike commute to work I was going to try and find my first more challenging cache.

..snip...

Found it but it looked like it was just thrown under the bridge by a previous cacher. Had to brave the tall weeds and potential poison ivy to retrieve it from under the bridge.

...snip...

You may notice in the Forums menu a forum called "Getting Started." That would be a more suitable place for these kinds of questions.

That said, I would reiterate my comment: if you are getting this spun up about about such minor issues, I think you should seriously consider whether geocaching will be a good activity for you.

I'm not sure what you mean by spun up, but what ever.

I am not getting spun up about anything. I am simply stating my experience with this particular cache. If you do not like it, do not read it. I actually tried to ignore you, for some reason I cannot.

A question I have is should I file an NM since it was very likely hung from the wire, part of which is now missing and it is no longer hanging from anything? Or should I replace the wire and rehang it myself? I do think I was right in placing the cache in a hiding spot under the bridge so it does not wash down the hill and into the creek below from rain water run off and drainage. By "saving" this cache I think I have helped keep this game enjoyable for all geocacher's. We have had a lot of rain lately in the form of strong and severe storms with strong winds, hail and heavy rain. In some areas there have been tornado's. I did not notice if there is wire hanging from under the bridge and the container just simply broke and fell to the ground.

Good job on challenging yourself and meeting that challenge! Geocaching has limitless opportunities to push yourself past your comfort level.

The one bit of advice I would give is if you find a container on the ground, don't assume it was the previous cacher who "just threw it on the ground", especially micros. I've found plenty of caches that had fallen from their hiding spot (and so will you) and I would guess that 99.99% of those fell because of natural causes and not because someone tossed it on the ground. I've also been caching down a trail, a few hours behind someone else caching the same trail and it became apparent that they WERE just tossing the caches down or leaving them sitting on the ground. That sort of thing is thankfully pretty rare around here.

Even if you just meant that it looked that way but didn't really think someone actually tossed the cache on the ground and walked away, writing that in your log creates unnecessary angst. Something generic like "I found the container on the ground" conveys the same message without creating any bad blood within your caching community.