Get an FP when someone favourites your cache

mjcross

Apologies if this idea has already been suggested, but as I spend much more time designing and hiding caches (predominantly puzzles) and tend to go finding only high D/T caches, I am always short of FPs to award.

My puzzle series gets quite a few FPs awarded and I naively expected that these FPs would come to my account but no :-(

Has this ever been considered? I think it would really encourage those who do more hiding than seeking!

Edited by mjcross

Apologies if this idea has already been suggested, but as I spend much more time designing and hiding caches (predominantly puzzles) and tend to go finding only high D/T caches, I am always short of FPs to award.

My puzzle series gets quite a few FPs awarded and I naively expected that these FPs would come to my account but no :-(

Has this ever been considered? I think it would really encourage those who do more hiding than seeking!

I'm sure someone has proposed some way for cache hiders to get Favorite points, rather than the caches themselves.

I don't think that proposing something to encourage hiding for the sake of getting Favorite points is a good idea. I don't think encouraging hiding caches for anything other than the desire to place good caches in interesting locations is a good idea.

Help Center→ Premium Membership → Benefits

1.6. Favorites

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=287

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

...as I spend much more time designing and hiding caches (predominantly puzzles) and tend to go finding only high D/T caches, I am always short of FPs to award.

Over 70 percent of your finds have D/T ratings of 2/2 or easier.

If you find mostly exceptionally good caches, then you still can give your favorite points to the very best of the exceptionally good. That restriction seems like a small price to pay for enjoying high-quality caches.

So let me get this straight...

I can hide 10 caches, and my buddy can hide 10 caches. Then we each find each others caches, which gives each of us a Favorites point. So each of us gives a Favorites point to one of the other's caches. So far, this is perfectly possible with the current implementation of Favorites points.

But under this proposal, each of us would receive another Favorites point to spend. So each of us spends another Favorites point on one of the other's caches, giving each of us 2 caches with Favorites points.

And then those Favorites points would give each of us yet another Favorites point to spend. So each of us spends another Favorites point on one of the other's caches, giving each of us 3 caches with Favorites points.

And then those Favorites points would give each of us still yet another Favorites point to spend. So each of us spends another Favorites point on one of the other's caches, giving each of us 4 caches with Favorites points.

Lather, rinse, repeat, and soon each of us has given all 10 of the other's caches a Favorites point.

Or did I miss something about this proposal?

Frankly, I think it's a bit late to change the meaning of Favorites points, unless there is a very significant advantage to doing so. And I don't see a very significant advantage to this proposal.

It's an interesting idea. I actually liked it at first glance but some of the replies got me thinking about how this could be abused and I changed my mind. (Yes, it can happen!)

I think the current system of earning Favorites based on finding caches is sufficient. When I see the number of caches out there, I don't think there is any need to encourage more hides.

Fixable thus: reward the CO with one FP to spend for every two her caches receive.

It's still giving a reward for hiding a cache, though. As has been discussed previously, encouraging people to hide caches isn't necessarily a good thing. I can give you a 100% money-back guarantee that there would be people placing tons of uber-lame or even bogus caches, or placing caches with the full intention of never maintaining them, just to get more FPs. It's sad, but there are many such people out there willing to do so.

I'm not sure I understand how this could be abused. If one of your caches receives a Fave vote, you get one more Fave vote that you can give away to another deserving cache. So you earn a Fave vote for every 10 caches you find plus every Fave vote one of your caches receives. Seems simple enough. Or am I missing something?

Fixable thus: reward the CO with one FP to spend for every two her caches receive.

It's still giving a reward for hiding a cache, though. As has been discussed previously, encouraging people to hide caches isn't necessarily a good thing. I can give you a 100% money-back guarantee that there would be people placing tons of uber-lame or even bogus caches, or placing caches with the full intention of never maintaining them, just to get more FPs. It's sad, but there are many such people out there willing to do so.

So why would these uber-lame caches earn any Favorite votes? It wouldn't encourage people to hide more lame caches, it would encourage people to hide higher quality caches that will earn Fave votes.

Or are we assuming that people would just Favorite all their friends' caches so the friend would get more Fave points?

So why would these uber-lame caches earn any Favorite votes? It wouldn't encourage people to hide more lame caches, it would encourage people to hide higher quality caches that will earn Fave votes.

Caches that I consider uber-lame have favourite points. Sometimes way more than caches I consider to be awesome. I really don't understand how people operate favourite points.

I kind of like knowing that favorite points are limited to the top 10% of finds from those that use them. It's pretty simple and seems to be working quite well. I understand that those who only search for highly favorited caches will most likely have smaller find counts, but that just requires them to be very selective in their awarding of favorites. Overall, I think the system is offering the benefit intended.

So AlanArmstrong hides 10 caches, BarryBrown hides 10 caches, and CameronChase hides 10 caches. Now each finds all of the others' caches and gets 2 FP. Each gives 1 FP to a cache of each of the others, and thus each receives 1 additional FP.

It's no longer an infinite supply of FP like the original proposal. But if this were implemented, then I think a 10-to-1 ratio would be better than a 2-to-1 ration (in keeping with the 10-to-1 ratio between Finds and FP).

But it still changes the meaning of FP, and I don't see a compelling reason to do that. And as others have pointed out, it creates an incentive for hiding caches that one is not ready to own and maintain for the long term. And it creates an incentive to churn one's existing caches so they can be re-found and possibly re-Favorited.

Or are we assuming that people would just Favorite all their friends' caches so the friend would get more Fave points?

I've seen folks give favorite points for every cache they are FTF. Doesn't matter if it's a P&G, lamp post, nano, micro...

Rather pointless to me personally. And of no help to me in searching for worthwhile caches to search out.

B.

Caches that I consider uber-lame have favourite points. Sometimes way more than caches I consider to be awesome. I really don't understand how people operate favourite points.
Yep. There are people who award FP for reasons I disagree with. And there are people who disagree with the way I award FP. This is a feature of the system, not a bug.

What I think would make the system more useful is the ability to correlate the preferences of different people. Then it could show me caches that were enjoyed by people with preferences similar to my own. That would be a lot more useful than diluting the meaning of FP by finding more ways for more people to get more FP, other than by logging Finds on caches.

My head is stuck in an infinity loop. I kinda like the idea folks have said in the past of a super favorite point (ie 10 points), but nah, not in favor. Personally I have trouble giving 5 or 6% favorite points, partly because I almost never give a point where a nail is in a tree or a screw in a telephone pole, but I am in the minority in that thinking on some caches I am referencing in my brain. Ah well.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The favorites feature has worked pretty well as is for quite some time and although it's not perfect, it pretty much does what it was intended to do.

Most people don't know this, but the 10:1 favorites point system was totally borrowed from somewhere else. :ph34r: I agree it ain't perfect, but it works much better than I predicted it would, having being around long before it was implemented. In other words, put me down in the if it ain't broke, don't fix it, column.

Interesting idea. I could see how it might be useful to people such as yourself who target high quality caches.

For me, I'm not really short on favorite points because I do pretty much all of them, with a few exceptions. If I'm really running low on favorite points, I will go through my list and usually I can find a few to re-alocate.

If you're finding yourself low on favorite points, maybe go do a numbers run. Look for easy park and grabs. I've found I can do about 7/hour of these if they're close together.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

What I think would make the system more useful is the ability to correlate the preferences of different people. Then it could show me caches that were enjoyed by people with preferences similar to my own. That would be a lot more useful than diluting the meaning of FP by finding more ways for more people to get more FP, other than by logging Finds on caches.

Yes, that would be useful certainly - perhaps something on a user profile?

Isn't there a thread about that just now? I'll go and add this to that...

Yes, that would be useful certainly - perhaps something on a user profile?

Isn't there a thread about that just now? I'll go and add this to that...

I'll tell you what would be useful -- A Netflix-like algorithm that would tell us: "If you liked this cache, might we suggest..."

:)