Travel Bug Black Hole?

Squishy1

I am headed on a trip and wanted to pick up a travel bug or two to move along. There is a pretty good selection of caches with travel bugs listed in the area. Before I go look for them, I always go check the last time it was discovered or placed. I've looked at about 100 caches on this site in the area. I am out about 45 miles from where I live and there are lots of bugs listed in caches, but there is only one travel bug that has been logged within a month. The caches have been visited, but the bugs have not been found there so more than likely, they are gone.

The one that was logged was placed about a week ago. I went and found that cache and the bug was not there. After a week, I would hope someone would at least log that they picked it up, so it may be gone too.

So, is this the case everywhere or is it just this area that seems to be a travel bug black hole? Who is taking the travel bugs? I'm sure there are people caching who don't know what a travel bug is, but I think most do.

It seems that travel bugs attached to any kind of toy disappear very quickly, from the logs.. it looks like they are taken within a month, so if you want your bug to travel, I would not attach it to any kind of toy. Maybe parents just can't tell their kids that they can't keep them? You would think they would at least leave the bug behind, even if they take the toy.

Anyway... not sure where I am going with this. There probably are many answers to why they disappear:

1. Someone likes the attached item and keeps it.

2. They take it, intending to place it somewhere else and then stop caching.

3. They take it and lose it.

4. Woodland creatures are conspiring to take the fun out of caching to stop people from coming around.

Is there a way to get the travel bug owners to delete them if they disappear for some predetermined period of time?

Could/Should geocaching.com delete bugs from caches if they have not been logged in some predetermined period (Say.. six months or a year)of time? Maybe have a separate page that they get moved to that lists MIA Travel bugs and the last cache they were seen in. At least this would clean up the cache lists. If they found and logged again after that long, they could become active again.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to attach to your bug that people will not take? Something people won't mind carrying to the next cache, but would not want to keep?

Maybe we need some kind of Travel Bug TSA to make traveling safer for bugs. Ha Ha!

-Mike-

So, is this the case everywhere...

Pretty much, although some areas appear to have more problems than others.

Is there a way to get the travel bug owners to delete them if they disappear for some predetermined period of time?

Link for reference:

FAQ

Occasionally a Travel Bug is picked up out of a cache but for whatever reason the person who picked it up does not log the find. If this happens, users visiting the cache will often let you know that the Travel Bug is no longer there.

As the Travel Bug owner, you have the ability to move your Travel Bug to an unknown location until it is found again. Visit your Travel Bug Trackable's listing on Geocaching.com and choose the option to move your Travel Bug to an unknown location. This will not affect your overall travels and distance calculation.

Cache owners also have the ability to move the Travel Bug listed on their cache page to an unknown location.

Could/Should geocaching.com delete bugs from caches if they have not been logged in some predetermined period.

No. Such automated systems tend to create more problems than they solve.

Carefully inventory a cache, take a picture of the contents, post appropriate logs, mentioning the TBs are not there, and let it go. It should be entirely the decision of the TB Owners, and possibly of the Cache Owners, especially if, say, an area is kind of a black hole. B)

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to attach to your bug that people will not take? Something people won't mind carrying to the next cache, but would not want to keep?

Probably most Trackables are taken and then forgotten, just treated as junk and lost. If so, a less desirable item won't help. Plus people collect anything, you never know what (an item is taken because "cool it's an [X]", then treated as junk and lost :rolleyes:). It's unlikely that you'll ever see it again anyway. So if you enjoy the uncertainty of TBs in the wilds, securely attach something inexpensive that you can easily replace, and let whatever logs happen... happen.

Edited by kunarion

The caches have been visited, but the bugs have not been found there so more than likely, they are gone.

I'm sure there are people caching who don't know what a travel bug is, but I think most do.

-Mike-

How many times has the caches been visited? This sounds like maybe you feel everyone moves travel bugs.

There are a lot of cachers who know what travel bugs are, but just are not into that part of the game.

I've seen a lot of travel bugs in caches, but never have moved one. Sometimes if I am watching a cache, a number of people will find the cache between the time I've seen a bug and the time someone logs that they have moved it.

We have picked up a tb that was stuck in a cache for a year. The cache had only been logged once in all that time and was in an out of the way location. It would therefore have been inappropriate to automatically mark it as missing after 6 months - it was still there safe and well.

I'm sure there are people caching who don't know what a travel bug is, but I think most do.
I'm not convinced that most geocachers do know what a travel bug is.

When I've introduced people to geocaching and taken them on a hike to search for real geocaches (as opposed to the temporary caches that I set up for short intro classes), they've been attracted to the interesting toys and medallions in the cache and wanted to trade for them. And I've had to remind them of what I told them earlier about travel bugs and geocoins. These have been people who had an in-person explanation of geocaching, complete with a description of trackables, and hands-on examples passed around for them to see.

And then there are people who just download an app and give this "real-world treasure hunt" a try, without much of an explanation of the many facets of the current geocaching game, and its many side games.

It seems that travel bugs attached to any kind of toy disappear very quickly, from the logs.. it looks like they are taken within a month, so if you want your bug to travel, I would not attach it to any kind of toy.
I've heard similar advice before. It's a tough balancing act, attaching a TB tag to something that is interesting enough that people will help it on its mission, and perhaps even take photos of it, but that is not so attractive that people will take it and keep it.

Anyway... not sure where I am going with this. There probably are many answers to why they disappear:

1. Someone likes the attached item and keeps it.

2. They take it, intending to place it somewhere else and then stop caching.

3. They take it and lose it.

4. Woodland creatures are conspiring to take the fun out of caching to stop people from coming around.

5. People actually read the tag and move them to another cache, but can't figure out how to log that online, so the trackable is lost until someone picks it up who knows how to log it correctly.

You can ask the CO.

Some COs will then mark them missing. Others don't consider it part of their responsibilities as a CO and will ignore you. Others will get annoyed and mark all trackables missing, just to avoid the hassle. Others might eventually mark them missing, if they see for themselves that they're missing on a future maintenance visit. And so on.

Could/Should geocaching.com delete bugs from caches if they have not been logged in some predetermined period (Say.. six months or a year)of time?
I think time is a poor measure. I've placed trackables in (and retrieved them from) caches that aren't found for months at a time.

I don't really like the idea of an automated system to do something like this, but if one were developed, then perhaps the number of visits to the cache would be a better measure. Perhaps count the number of days with at least one find (to avoid double-counting group visits that generate multiple logs).

We too have picked up TBs that have been in the same cache for a long time

A quick check showed the longest sat in a cache for 3 years 6 months with no visits - the joy of caching in the Middle East.

WOW! That's a long time! Thanks!

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Travel Bug forum.

Thank you. Sorry I put it in the wrong place.

Could/Should geocaching.com delete bugs from caches if they have not been logged in some predetermined period (Say.. six months or a year)of time?
I think time is a poor measure. I've placed trackables in (and retrieved them from) caches that aren't found for months at a time.

I don't really like the idea of an automated system to do something like this, but if one were developed, then perhaps the number of visits to the cache would be a better measure. Perhaps count the number of days with at least one find (to avoid double-counting group visits that generate multiple logs).

A couple times, I've found TBs that were in a cache for half a year or more with a fair number of visits, none mentioning the TB or Discovering it.

Not only will an automated system fail in some cases, it's more important to keep in mind that it's the job of geocachers to report things such as missing TBs, it's not the job of geocaching.com to police such things, just as it is geocacher's responsibility for reporting maintenance problems and deciding when a cache should be considered for archiving, not the job of the reviewer to determine such things.

There are occasionally those trackables that don't at first appear to be trackables...geocoins and the like. When I open a cache with swag, I often don't spend much time sifting through it if it's wet or dirty inside. On a number of occasions I've gone back to the page and noticed there was a trackable listed that matched up with something I glanced at during my find. I imagine part of the problem (perhaps a very small part) with a lot of these trackables is when they get put into a cache and then sort of blend into the assorted junk that builds up inside the cache.

If I put something like this INTO a cache, I will usually put it in the baggie with the log sheet or tuck it into the pages of the log book so that it will be easier for the next person to find.

I also find it very frustrating going to a cache expecting a TB to be there and it isn't. I do however, log that it was not in the cache. That at least lets other cachers know. I'm a newbie at this game (started in August 2014) and the first thing I read was what to do with TB's. Just my observation but I find that the caches in the city's tend to have missing TB's. We need to do something to plug this black hole.

I live in the Fife area and we have the same problem here. I was thinking about this only today. I believe there are people out there that target caches purely for their TB's or Geocoins (can't remember the last time I say a coin) and keep them as collections. Would it not be a good idea to place a trackable in a cache and NOT publish the fact that it is there. It would be an unexpected surprise to whoever found it. You could still track it by logging where you found it

I found a bug in a cache that was not recorded in the inventory. Noted on the TB page that I had it, had moved it to Geocache GCxxxxx from GCyyyyyy. A few days later I got a polite PM from the cacher that had dropped the bug, asking how to properly log a grab and drop. A quick, polite email and we now have another cacher that knows what to do. FYI, I have never been given formal instructions, its not that hard to figure out. One thing I would request of TB owners is that they include with the bug a one sentence description of the bug's mission. Think of it as a passport. Allows me to determine wheter or not I cna aid the bug in it's travel goal.

Edited by ras_oscar

Good point. The general mission is travelling. Leaving a travel bug in a cache is against any mission.

I understand, but many bug missions are more specific. For instance, a race to get to cache XXX located in Tacoma, Washington. If I'm on vacation caching in Cleveland, Ohio and I grab that bug then log it when I return home to Freeport Maine, by the time I get to the website and learn I've moved the bug the wrong direction the damage to the mission has already been done. In a case like that I'd prefer to leave the bug where I found it.

Good point. The general mission is travelling. Leaving a travel bug in a cache is against any mission.

I understand, but many bug missions are more specific. For instance, a race to get to cache XXX located in Tacoma, Washington. If I'm on vacation caching in Cleveland, Ohio and I grab that bug then log it when I return home to Freeport Maine, by the time I get to the website and learn I've moved the bug the wrong direction the damage to the mission has already been done. In a case like that I'd prefer to leave the bug where I found it.

Even so, as TB owner I'm more happy with one move over 500 metres than with the 51st discover log. (Numbers as example).

A mission statement on the trackable can help but often they are ignored. I have one on mine that I dropped in NY near PA border and instead of going southwest it kept going northeast although short distances. It finally went west to Michigan and someone picked it up and took it to Texas where it was picked up and that guy took it right back to Michigan where it was later marked missing by the CO. It reappeared in that same cache with a picture showing the tag with the mission is still attached. And then this guy started moving it to the second leg of the mission (London Ky) without it ever going to the first leg (London Bridge in Lake Havasu City AZ). He also stopped well short of London Ky even though he logged that he was going through there on his way to Georgia. Someone else picked it up and it is in limbo again.

For the tag to help the finder needs to read it. Too many don't. Other trackables I release will have tags with goals but I will do so knowing that isn't going to guarantee anyone will actually read it.

A mission statement on the trackable can help but often they are ignored. I have one on mine that I dropped in NY near PA border and instead of going southwest it kept going northeast although short distances. It finally went west to Michigan and someone picked it up and took it to Texas where it was picked up and that guy took it right back to Michigan where it was later marked missing by the CO. It reappeared in that same cache with a picture showing the tag with the mission is still attached. And then this guy started moving it to the second leg of the mission (London Ky) without it ever going to the first leg (London Bridge in Lake Havasu City AZ). He also stopped well short of London Ky even though he logged that he was going through there on his way to Georgia. Someone else picked it up and it is in limbo again.

For the tag to help the finder needs to read it. Too many don't. Other trackables I release will have tags with goals but I will do so knowing that isn't going to guarantee anyone will actually read it.

If the goal is printed out and included with the trackable itself, I'll generally read it. If I have to actually log it in order to find out the goal, chances are I'll just take the trackable and log it first chance I get. From that point I decide whether or not I can help it fulfill its goal. I'm really not ever likely to sit at GZ and type in codes or scan through the listings.

Me and my kids love TBs and seeing where they can get to - and we love moving other cachers' TBs on to another destination - BUT whereas we check the mission of the TB before moving it on and then try to stick to the mssion as close as we can, others do not seem to do it for ours - or they make a comment that shows that they have looked at the mission and then completely ignore that mission and move to wherever they want to put it - so what's the point in giving a trackable a mission in the first place?? I wish people would have consideration for the onwers of the TB and realise that when they take and keep a TB that is marked as NOT COLLECTIBLE, they are in effect, stealing, and when they retrieve a TB but move it to somewhere that goes against the mission specified, it is very frustrating to the owner of that TB! I've had ones that I have deliberately marked with, "if you cannot move this TB towards the South-West then don't take it" - but it has still ended up going North-East!

We have also had TBs that have gone missing after doing only one journey, never-to-be-seen-again!! When we've paid out for the Travel Tag and the item attached, so that we and others can enjoy this game, we don't expect for it to be stolen and kept - how would those people that take TBs feel if it were theirs that were being taken?? They wouldn't be happy either!

Personally, although it can be very frustrating when a TB is stuck in a cache and doesn't move for a while, we don't really mind this - but it's infuriating when the TB is recorded as being in someone's possession for a long time - we've had this happen several times - and just atm there are 3 cachers who have had each had one of of TBs for over 3 months now! We, ourselves, try not to keep a TB for more than a month if we can help it, although in trying to follow the mission, occassionally we may go over this time period a little if we know we can help the TB a little further on it's way if we wait for a few days before dropping it.

So far we have had one go missing completely which I have marked as 'missing - unknown location' in the hope that it may turn up one day - but I very much doubt it - which is a big shame because it was my daughter's first ever TB. Four others are in limbo in caches waiting for someone to move them (and have been there a while), three are at present marked as 'in the hands of' certain cachers, but haven't moved in over 3 months and the rest have been moved - but most of them in the wrong direction!!!

As you can probably tell, I'm very frustrated at the lack of regard others take over TBs and although I will put out the remaining ones I have to drop, I won't be buying any more in a hurry, because I am very fed up with others' cachers lack of consideration for their fellow players!

Personally, although it can be very frustrating when a TB is stuck in a cache and doesn't move for a while, we don't really mind this - but it's infuriating when the TB is recorded as being in someone's possession for a long time - we've had this happen several times - and just atm there are 3 cachers who have had each had one of of TBs for over 3 months now! We, ourselves, try not to keep a TB for more than a month if we can help it, although in trying to follow the mission, occassionally we may go over this time period a little if we know we can help the TB a little further on it's way if we wait for a few days before dropping it.

For me there is no difference if a travel bug is in a cache for a month or in someone's hand for a month. In both cases it doesn't move.

I studied some before releasing my trackable and figured out that it was a crap shoot at best and I haven't been surprised. I don't think I'll ever be big in this part of the game but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Still have several to release but haven't gotten around to doing so.

On the plus side, I picked up a TB with nothing attached in Berea Ky. I dropped it in one of the caches that Kentucky Parks just recently set up. That booger has been moving along into several other of the Kentucky Parks caches. I don't know how long this will last but it is pleasant to follow it. I may just release another trackable in one of these caches.