Garmin Nuvi 40?

BigAndrew55

Howdy Big Andrew!

I have never tried to use an automotive navigation GPS for geocaching, but I have noted that the Nuvi series has been mentioned in a few threads as 'adequate'. It seems that several folks recommend using the free app on a smartphone instead of a car navigation unit, also. I personally use an old GPSMap 60cs handheld unit, and acquaintances have used the app very successfully (as long as they have signal). That being said, I would urge you to try an easy geocache with your unit and test its performance, both to give yourself a chance to try the fun out as well as give you an idea whether there will be difficulties or issues with using the Nuvi for geocaching. If you know another person in your area who caches, invite them along for the test run so you have a backup system in case the Nuvi has trouble or you need a little help finding the cache.

Best of luck!!

Midnight Storm Cachers

Can a Garmin Nuvi 40 driving GPS work for geocaching? Can you drive to a site and walk to the cache from the parking lot, etc? I am new to geocaching and may not even geocache.

A Nuvi will keep you on streets (which is kind of its purpose :anicute:), so it's fine for getting to a cache area. But beware that the icon is placed where you can drive, which is likely not where the cache is. Must such devices have settings to override street routing, but then keep track of what settings you're using.

You can find caches with it. Look at some local caches, and see if any are near the road, or at least may be easy to find without a handheld GPSr. Print the cache page and its map, and maybe the satellite map, or at least remember the details. Pick a cache that has a great description and hint so you have a plan of action when you arrive. And select a cache with a sizable container, with low Terrain and Difficulty (like 1.5/1.5). Not a "Micro" unless you need a serious challenge or if there's plenty of cache info about what the container looks like. Follow the Nuvi to a suitable parking place, then refer to the cache page.

Edited by kunarion

I've never used an automotive GPS for caching, but I know a couple people who have. It seems the key is to be able to get it into "off-road" mode. Also be careful when handling it as the GPS units made for use in a car are not built as rugged as units made for handheld use.