A New Kind of Geocache

About ten years ago, I bought my dad a handheld GPS and introduced him to geocaching. We used to go geocaching together until his health deteriorated and he was unable to get out. He really loved it, and he was terribly disappointed when he had to get someone in the community to take over his caches because he could not maintain them anymore. On June 16, 2015, my father passed away. I wrote his eulogy, and in it, I explained geocaching and how we loved it. I used the idea of a waypoint as an extended metaphor throughout the speech. Each waypoint represented a principle that he had enacted. The "treasure" was not a cache but the relationships he built--a form of wealth that made him the richest man I have ever known.

In his casket was a memory drawer in which each family member placed a small item or two. My selections consisted of special things from his geocaching supplies and a personalized item he gave me when I was little. To me, this drawer is a kind of geocache, albeit one that will never be found or opened. Selecting and placing these items in the drawer to accompany my dad's corporeal form gave us a great deal of comfort somehow. It's difficult to explain, but I think that this last geocache would have pleased him greatly.

I found his geocaching login and password, and I have taken over his account in order to honor him. I found his geocaching supplies, and my grown children and I are going to share the supplies to help us place items in our respective towns in Georgia and Alabama.

I just wanted to share his passing and his remarkable geocaching legacy with you. He loved the geocaching community, where he found friendly, interesting people who shared his love of orienteering and nature.

I will always miss my dad, but I am convinced that geocaching will help me grieve and will help me to carry on his legacy--one of curiosity, generosity, resourcefulness, and fun.

About ten years ago, I bought my dad a handheld GPS and introduced him to geocaching. We used to go geocaching together until his health deteriorated and he was unable to get out. He really loved it, and he was terribly disappointed when he had to get someone in the community to take over his caches because he could not maintain them anymore. On June 16, 2015, my father passed away. I wrote his eulogy, and in it, I explained geocaching and how we loved it. I used the idea of a waypoint as an extended metaphor throughout the speech. Each waypoint represented a principle that he had enacted. The "treasure" was not a cache but the relationships he built--a form of wealth that made him the richest man I have ever known.

In his casket was a memory drawer in which each family member placed a small item or two. My selections consisted of special things from his geocaching supplies and a personalized item he gave me when I was little. To me, this drawer is a kind of geocache, albeit one that will never be found or opened. Selecting and placing these items in the drawer to accompany my dad's corporeal form gave us a great deal of comfort somehow. It's difficult to explain, but I think that this last geocache would have pleased him greatly.

I found his geocaching login and password, and I have taken over his account in order to honor him. I found his geocaching supplies, and my grown children and I are going to share the supplies to help us place items in our respective towns in Georgia and Alabama.

I just wanted to share his passing and his remarkable geocaching legacy with you. He loved the geocaching community, where he found friendly, interesting people who shared his love of orienteering and nature.

I will always miss my dad, but I am convinced that geocaching will help me grieve and will help me to carry on his legacy--one of curiosity, generosity, resourcefulness, and fun.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I know what geocaching can mean to relationships. I remember when a fellow geocacher passed away at a too young an age. He was rarely seen geocaching without his daughters. They ranged in age from 9 to 14. Nearly 10 years later I'm sure they hold the memories of geocaching with their dad dearly.

I'm going to move this to the general forum where it will find a wider audience.

Hello farzikantel's daughter! Sorry but we are months late in finding out about your precious dad's passing away! (My dad was with me for my first geocache back in 2008, he died of cancer a couple of years ago.) Anyway, this forum post is awesome, you are such a great daughter, as we would expect from our local farzikantel legend!

So we thought you, your family & sweet mother would like to know (hope you don't mind,) we have a travel bug medallion attached to one of your dad's precious hiking sticks he custom made for us that we carry & log as visiting each geocache we find. Here is the link to the TB:

http://coord.info/TB7HGRN

Let me know if it is satisfactory to you.

We miss your dad so much, thanks!

Dawn & John Boyajian of team cyclepath

Edited by team cyclepath

Thank you for your sweet message. The walking stick travel bug medallion is a beautiful tribute to Dad. He was fortunate to have such wonderful friends. I appreciate your reaching out to me via email, and I am responding there as well. I wish you peace, joy, and love in 2016 and always. May we remember our dads by emulating the model of their lives.

Peace, Diana Eidson, proud daughter of the late farzikantel (aka Ronnie Joe Eidson)

Hello farzikantel's daughter! Sorry but we are months late in finding out about your precious dad's passing away! (My dad was with me for my first geocache back in 2008, he died of cancer a couple of years ago.) Anyway, this forum post is awesome, you are such a great daughter, as we would expect from our local farzikantel legend!

So we thought you, your family & sweet mother would like to know (hope you don't mind,) we have a travel bug medallion attached to one of your dad's precious hiking sticks he custom made for us that we carry & log as visiting each geocache we find. Here is the link to the TB:

http://coord.info/TB7HGRN

Let me know if it is satisfactory to you.

We miss your dad so much, thanks!

Dawn & John Boyajian of team cyclepath

I apologize for the tardy reply to your kind message. Thank you! I hope to honor Dad's memory in every possible way. I need to start in 2016 by getting back into geocaching. Just moved to Alabama last year, so lots of new caches to explore! I wish you peace, joy, and love in 2016 and always. Thanks again, Diana Eidson

Sorry to hear about your loss. Your dad must have been a wonderful father and human being. What a great way you have chosen to remember him, very moving and inspirational.

Thank you for your message, and please forgive me for taking so long to respond. I have not been on the site in a while. Geocaching was indeed great father-daughter time, and I miss it a lot. Glad to know you enjoyed that special time with your dad, too. I just need to keep geocaching. I think that would make Dad happy.

Peace, joy, and love to you, Diana Eidson

I'm so sorry for your loss. My dad and I Geocache together a lot so I can relate to how you feel. Your dad sounds like a great person and I'm glad that you've made something so beautiful out of this tragedy. :)

That is a awesome thing to do for your dad! Seem some older guys like the hobbie. I have became friends with several just over the short 4 years we have been playing who have passed on. I always seek out there caches after and wish they could read the logs I leave. We also try and fix up there caches when we find them. As a matter of fact we did that today. I am sure he would be happy to know you are doing this.