Geocaching presentation

geo K

I'm giving a demo of GC.com to 15-25 people. How would I set up accounts for them to sign in on? Might only need 10-15 accounts. These would be 1st time users who may or may not be into geocaching. I really do not want them to create there own accounts in this presentation.

I'm giving a demo of GC.com to 15-25 people. How would I set up accounts for them to sign in on? Might only need 10-15 accounts. These would be 1st time users who may or may not be into geocaching. I really do not want them to create there own accounts in this presentation.

You're asking how to set up accounts, but then say you don't want to...not sure what you want.

Anyway, I personally would t set up individual accounts. Maybe just one for everyone to use, then if they want to geocache, they can set up their own accounts and you could provide any help. I just don't see the point of setting them up if they're not ever going to be used again....

With each person's email address, selected username, and password, you could sign them up in advance. But that's usually left up to people to decide themselves, if they want to join Geocaching. I would not want someone "signing me up" as a prerequisite.

Is each person to be at a computer station? If not, they will need to load Apps during your presentation. If they're at a computer, you can walk them through most site features, without them needing an account at all. There are tutorials, and you could prepare screen shots if needed.

If you have a few extra handheld GPSrs, the class can even break into small groups and find temporary waypoints. Or maybe just one GPSr and 5 trips. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

I agree with T.D.M.22

One account for all would be plenty!

Or give them your account password for the presentation and allow them to log onto yours. Show them what you want on an account with some finds, etc., and then change the password after. No cluttering up the GS data base with account(s) that won't ever be used.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

It has been my experience that only one person can log into a user account at any one time. I was going to set up a number of "Demo" sign ons, but that requires a different email account for every account. I planned to delete the "Demo" accounts when done. I was going to let those with computers sign on and let each of them put in their own zip code or city of interest.

It has been my experience that only one person can log into a user account at any one time. I was going to set up a number of "Demo" sign ons, but that requires a different email account for every account. I planned to delete the "Demo" accounts when done. I was going to let those with computers sign on and let each of them put in their own zip code or city of interest.

I've never been to a "Geocaching presentation" for non-cachers where each participant got a separate Geocaching account. What will they be doing at the presentation?

I've never been to a "Geocaching presentation" for non-cachers where each participant got a separate Geocaching account. What will they be doing at the presentation?

+1

We've been to a few "geocaching 101" (or similar named) and most used the accounts of the "guides" (experienced cachers tagging along) for instruction.

Often a few people teamed with a guide.

When I introduce people to geocaching, I barely show them the web site at all--just enough to explain the difficulty, terrain, size, and type of a cache. Screenshots are more than enough for that (and that's what are used for the geocaching classes sponsored by the county parks department).

So that shoots my suggestion down. Ive never tried that, so didn't know.

So, as others have mentioned . Screen shots might do the trick for you a lot easier!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

So that shoots my suggestion down. Ive never tried that, so didn't know.

So, as others have mentioned . Screen shots might do the trick for you a lot easier!

I've been signed on the same account on multiple devices at once....

I would suggest just showing your account only. Or set up one account for the demo and give everyone the same password.

If they are interested they can set up their own.

I would suggest just showing your account only. Or set up one account for the demo and give everyone the same password. 
If they are interested they can set up their own.

I'm under the impression that only a single person can log onto an account at any one time. These of course would be basic membership accounts. I'd be demonstrating in a room that has 12 computers, so I'm sure some of the attendees would like to put in their own place of interest.

Is this supposed to be a geocaching presentation, or is this supposed to be a geocaching.com presentation? The subject line says "Geocaching presentation", but post #13 sounds like a geocaching.com presentation, and I just noticed that post #1 refers to "a demo of GC.com".

Personally, I wouldn't bother spending much time on a demo of geocaching.com until I had confirmed whether they were into geocaching. So I'd talk about geocaching first, and save geocaching.com until later.

It is a demo of geocaching, but I feel that GC.com plays an integral part. Just as the friends I've met, the trips I've taken, caches we've created and found and the stats collected. They are all parts of the story. GC.com sort of holds it all together. So why wouldn't I talk about it.

It is a demo of geocaching, but I feel that GC.com plays an integral part. Just as the friends I've met, the trips I've taken, caches we've created and found and the stats collected. They are all parts of the story. GC.com sort of holds it all together. So why wouldn't I talk about it.

In that case, talk about travel bugs. And coins. And making coins. And the forums. Well, make that each sub forum; geocaching topics, getting started, how do I? Etc. They're all part of this whole thing as well.

The point is that there are lots of things that are parts of any activity. And a lot of that stuff scares newbs away because it's just too much info.

Start with geocaching itself. Some examples of caches, apps, etc. Even some of the guidelines such as caches are never buried. Maybe take the group out caching. Doesn't have to be listed caches, you could hide a few around the place, take them to the general area and tell them they're looking for an ammo can, or camo'd LnL, like they saw in the presentation.

After that you can do another one (maybe even the same day) for those that are interested. How the apps work, basic website navigation, how to search for caches, etc.

Don't get me wrong, specifics on the website are good. I've even attended a few but those where aimed at current cachers, those who already know the basics, have some finds, maybe a few hides. It's not for those who don't even know what a geocache looks like.

For first time geocachers, it's enough to show them the beginning of a geocache listing. You can talk about the difficulty, terrain, and size ratings. Pass around a few containers as examples of different sizes. Talk about the fact that there are different cache types, recommend that they stick with traditional caches at first (the container is at the given coordinates), but briefly describe other types (multi-caches, puzzle caches, events).

That should be plenty for first time geocachers. Maybe show how to find the Play > Find Trackables page when you're discussing geocoins and travel bugs, but you really don't need to go into all the details about how the site works, about searches and pocket queries and everything else.

Spend time outdoors, somewhere near your classroom, where you've hidden a bunch of geocache containers. Let them get a taste for geocaching by taking turns spotting the hidden containers. There's no need to teach them about GPS yet: just take them to the location you've chosen and let them look for the hidden containers.

Even on the longer classes where we give students pre-programmed GPS receivers and spend a couple hours finding actual geocaches, we don't spend any more time explaining the web site than that.