Geocaching Organisations in the U.K. and Ireland

mandarin

This topic is to let you know about the U.K. and regional geocaching organisations near you. Some of these groups hold Event caches and/or have on-line forums where geocachers in the same area can get to know each other and share information. Geocaching organisations can play an important role in maintaining good relations with local land managers where we play this game and getting involved in your local group is a great way to make new friends and find answers to questions about your local caching scene.

It is up to representatives of the organisations to maintain this thread as a list of links to the geocaching groups in the U.K. Please feel free to write a brief post about your group, giving its name, the area where most of its members live and a link to the group's website, forum or mailing list. If your information changes later on, post a follow-up post.

Please do not use this pinned topic to promote individual events or initiatives that your group is undertaking. You may wish to start separate topics for those.

Finally, please note that this thread is not an endorsement by Groundspeak of any organisation. It's just a convenient list of links.

Edited by mandarin

www.yorkshirecaching.co.uk

The site came into life after I plucked up the courage to hold my first event last year where I realised the benefit having a community site could have, and so far the active user-base has mainly come from West and North Yorkshire, but everyone is welcome.

The site has been rather quiet in the past few months, as some of our members were very busy putting on 6 events in the Harrogate area earlier this month ;) Now that that's out of the way, I hope to get the site updated more often again.

The site has

- Forums

- News articles

- Section for recommended walks, complete with Google Maps and Overlays

- Facility to share your favourite photos and logs

- A page that allows you to connect into the #geocaching chat room

- Resources area that allows users to share pretty much anything they want to write.

The site is approaching it's first birthday, and I hope this will inspire more visitors to come and have a look.

Yorkshirecaching has a lot of scope to grow as a community site, it just needs more people willing to submit content.

Thanks for allowing the blatent advert Mandarin.

www.CacheWalker.co.uk

We're a bunch of Cachers who prefer to go walking to find our Caches! :P

We hold a quarterly event, usually with a walk beforehand (and occasionally after!)

The website is a bit bare at the moment as we're just moving across to a new one, however we have a new (bulletin board-style) forum and the site hosts the latest info on our TB race (CacheWalkers SuperBike Challenge)!

The forum includes suggested walks as well as general chat.

Most of our members are in the (Southern) Midlands (Warwicks, Worcs, Glos) but we do have a few from further afield (like Team Caracache from Portugal... ;) ) and everyone is welcome!

EACachers.org.uk

The forum started in April 2007 with the idea of a regional forum to discuss more local topics which would be out of place on the 'main' forum

Our membership is open to anyone who caches or plans to cache in what is now the 'State' of East of England plus a few bits tacked on the edges.

At the moment we have just a basic forum and the topics range from techie help to where to eat and from events to geocoins. Of course we have various quizes etc (our most popular posting area) We have even been known to discuss geocaching but its very rare ;)

We have tried to keep the forum VERY family orientated, friendly place and have a junior section for member's children to encourage the next generation of geocachers

Edited by mandarin

The Geocaching Association of Great Britain is a national organization covering, despite our name, the whole United Kingdom. The GAGB aims to establish good caching practice, and support the growth and enjoyment of Geocaching in harmony with the law and the environment.

We have a database of blanket caching agreements with landowners in the UK, and we try to include all major agreements whether or not they were drawn up by GAGB.

We also have forums which are open to cachers everywhere, though naturally most, but not all, of our forum members are in the British Isles.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

NW Caching is for cachers in the NW of England, unsurprisingly! So, if you live North of the English Channel and West of the North Sea, yer in! :laughing:

We're having regular roaming monthly meets, which all are of course welcome to, and have just completed our first year of active service :P

If you are in the area, sign up to the forums and get along to a meet - thanks to the efforts of those in the area, we now have a cache series, a NW Geocoin, custom log books, custom waterproof cache stickers, custom embroidered t-shirts, a travel bug race and more.

The forums are pretty daft with a healthy dose of Off Topic to keep us sane...ish!

SE Caching - essentially a forum for geocachers residing in the South East, but anyone is welcome to sign up, browse, post - it doesn't matter where you are based. There's a regular monthly meet for Berkshire cachers on the second Thursday of each month - check events for details. Bucks/Beds/Herts also have regular meets as do the Oxon cachers. [:laughing:]

Edited by The Cache Hoppers
Link changed to FB group

Aber-cachers - Geocaching in Wales

A group for gecoachers in Wales. We're not a huge group but since forming the number of caches in the area has increased significantly and we always welcome new members. We have only had one small meet-up so far but we were interviewed by Radio Wales a couple of weeks ago and have a full half hour show dedicated to geocaching on the radio next weekend.

We also arrange travel bug races and such like and aim to promote geocaching in a safe and responsible way.

See you on the hills in search of a cache soon.

Al.

SE Caching There's a regular monthly meet for Berkshire cachers on the second Thursday of each month - check events for details. Bucks/Beds/Herts also have regular meets as do the Oxon cachers. [:P]

There's also the Woking Area Cachers (part of the SE Caching group) who meet every other month - usually on the last Tuesday of the month. Our next meet is on September 23rd - just look for 'Send 'em Caching!' events :laughing:

Edited by mandarin

Hiya

I am just starting up a new forum for cachers in the Somerset area.

Have a look, join, and post away. Somerset Cachers

Regards

Andyfee

Hi

A Wessex forum (covering Somerset, Wiltshire, Dorset & Hampshire) was started a while ago (April 2007) - but never really took off. I think most of us use the GAGB or Groundspeak. Not sure if you have come across it?

There is a Somerset & Bristol quarterly meet being held next week (near Weston-super-Mare this time) - why don't you come along and meet some of us.

Hi

A Wessex forum (covering Somerset, Wiltshire, Dorset & Hampshire) was started a while ago (April 2007) - but never really took off. I think most of us use the GAGB or Groundspeak. Not sure if you have come across it?

There is a Somerset & Bristol quarterly meet being held next week (near Weston-super-Mare this time) - why don't you come along and meet some of us.

Hiya,

I have just had a look at my work rota, and I am working that day till about 2100, thats the IT industry for you, people need there internet connection 24/7

I shall have a look at GAGB forum never come across it, sorry newbie.

Regards

Andy

Hi

Hiya,

I have just had a look at my work rota, and I am working that day till about 2100, thats the IT industry for you, people need there internet connection 24/7

Regards

Andy

Just realised I ddn't put the link in to the Wessex Geocachers forum

Also, the GAGB website

Hiya,

Regards

Andy

There is one on Yahoo Groups as well. It was started by a Yeovil cacher last year, but nobody uses it.

andyfee wrote:

I have killed mine off now(using it for something else now), shame really that Local forums don't really catch on.

Some do, but Wessex Cachers, the only one I know that covers Somerset (and Dorset and Wiltshire) is very quiet - the last post there was in December. I don't know whereabouts in Somerset you are, but if you're in the west of the county then you just may find this one useful - it's aimed primarily at Devon and Cornwall.

Munkeh wrote: forums for the north east

lost it posted that one on GAGB, and I've added it to our list of Regional Forums.

Geocaching Ireland

http://www.geocachingireland.com/

Geocaching Ireland was set up in August 2003 with the aim to establish an active geocaching community in Ireland, North and South, through our website and forums. Today you'll find a highly active community discussing a broad range of topics. We welcome any queries about caching in Ireland from both newcomers to the sport and tourists alike. We also organise regular events and meetings throughout all corners of Ireland. We like to think that our busy forums are a helpful, informative and fun place, so please stop by!

site_logo.gif

www.gcayrshire.webs.com

a new site for geocachers in and around Ayrshire south west scotland

started in march 2010, this site is open to any one from ayrshire to chat about geocaching subjects that are local to us or to cachers from outside of Ayrshire who are comming to this scenic part of scotland for holidays and geocaching here.

Welshcaching is a newly formed mailing list to allow Geocachers in Wales (and anyone outside Wales with an interest in our Geocaching activities) to keep in touch.

hey eclectic penguin i found u in conrwall and loved u then so thought id say hello veedub-girl x

You may like to note that the Eclectic Penguin can mostly be found floating on the iceflows of South Wales Geocaching forum. (MrsB)

penguin_animated_push_over.gif

http://www.gowercachers.co.cc

Hey, we're a group of Geocachers from Gower (South Wales). We're just getting started with our Society and anyone from the area is welcome to visit the site. The forum will be active soon so keep checking back.

Thanks for your time.

Just to let you all know. The Forum is now live and I shall be giving the site a makeover soon. But it's all up and running for now.

After much deliberation and consideration, I have decided to run a geocaching website aimed primarily at Geocachers in Sheffield, there isn't a massive amount in this city, but, for those who live here, I thought it might be nice for us to have a place to chat and share information.

It goes live tonight (all being well).

Sheff-Cachers

Hoping to have a forum as well as local information on the geocaching world.

After much deliberation and consideration, I have decided to run a geocaching website aimed primarily at Geocachers in Sheffield, there isn't a massive amount in this city, but, for those who live here, I thought it might be nice for us to have a place to chat and share information.

It goes live tonight (all being well).

Sheff-Cachers

Hoping to have a forum as well as local information on the geocaching world.

The website is now LIVE !!!!

It's work in progress, but, please bookmark it and keep checking for constant updates.