Glass Containers

pingurus

I've already found 950+ Geocaches and can't remember being one of them out of glass. Also, someone said that they didn't like that one of my containers was out of glass.

I'm can't think of why these seem to be disliked. Can someone tell me why?

Glass shards.

I've already found 950+ Geocaches and can't remember being one of them out of glass. Also, someone said that they didn't like that one of my containers was out of glass.

Because they can break, and someone may get cut. When they get broken they make a mess.

This thread has given us a good idea of why they're disliked. I've found several glass containers, though, and I've never run into one that was broken or causing any other problem due to being glass. And they were all tucked away somewhere where the sun's rays couldn't get to them to start fires. (Frankly, I think the fire argument goes in the opposite way: in the extraordinary case where a glass container caused a fire, that would make a really great log!) But I have to say, whether they were planted a month or 10 years before I found them, I'm always amazed they haven't been broken yet. But that means I'd never complain, since it's the owner that's going to have to react if someone breaks it.

Another issue - and this ties in with the "ecosystem" in the jar issue - is that it's difficult to find a glass container with a waterproof lid. A screw-on lid is probably not really waterproof.

Yep, I have to admit that the inability to keep them dry is a much more significant problem than broken glass or starting fires. Just last week I found a glass container with one of those airtight clamps on top with a heavy duty gasket in good condition. It was soaking wet inside. None of that stuff that keeps a glass container sealed in the pantry helps a bit out in the real world.

Edited by dprovan

Well, this cache has been out there for nearly two years and didn't need any maintenance, whilst every other cache I've placed needed maintenance for either a wet logbook or because it was broken (except for the nanos which where gone) :D

Also, I wonder how anyone would accidentally break it where it is.

Well, this cache has been out there for nearly two years and didn't need any maintenance, whilst every other cache I've placed needed maintenance for either a wet logbook or because it was broken (except for the nanos which where gone) :D

Also, I wonder how anyone would accidentally break it where it is.

Which of your caches is it?

(Also, I am far from graceful, so it is wise never to underestimate my ability to break ANYTHING.)

(Frankly, I think the fire argument goes in the opposite way: in the extraordinary case where a glass container caused a fire, that would make a really great log!)

[...]Yep, I have to admit that the inability to keep them dry is a much more significant problem than broken glass or starting fires.

I would disagree. Sure for an individual cacher a soggy log is a bummer. But overall, in the grand scheme of things I'd prefer that to a devastating forest fire, especially one that threatens entire communities.

In a similar vein to glass containers though, I have seen some containers in local shops that are made of pottery that have a cork glued to a bit of wood for the lid. I think they're airtight, or at least watertight, but I haven't tested them in the field. Have any of you guys come across anything like that? I'd be curious to know how they performed. And I think pottery is less likely to shatter dangerously than glass is too.

In a similar vein to glass containers though, I have seen some containers in local shops that are made of pottery that have a cork glued to a bit of wood for the lid. I think they're airtight, or at least watertight, but I haven't tested them in the field. Have any of you guys come across anything like that? I'd be curious to know how they performed. And I think pottery is less likely to shatter dangerously than glass is too.

Cork, like other bark, tends to rot when exposed to the elements; it might not hold up well.

Wine bottles keep a seal by keeping the cork wet on the inside -- wine stored on its side does well, wine stored vertically tends to dry out the corks and ruin the wine -- and by keeping that wet cork immersed, it doesn't allow it to rot like it would if it was exposed to oxygen.

Here you'd be trying to do the opposite, keep the insides dry and sealed against a wet exterior, but corks don't keep a seal that way.

Edited by hzoi

I've come across a few caches that used 60-ml VOA glass vials. These are bottles made for liquid environmental samples, and they have a thick polymer seal inside the cap. This seal keeps water from leaking out and air from leaking in. Effective, but there are cheaper alternatives. And I think they are only available by the case.

Joe

Cork, like other bark, tends to rot when exposed to the elements; it might not hold up well.

Wine bottles keep a seal by keeping the cork wet on the inside -- wine stored on its side does well, wine stored vertically tends to dry out the corks and ruin the wine -- and by keeping that wet cork immersed, it doesn't allow it to rot like it would if it was exposed to oxygen.

Here you'd be trying to do the opposite, keep the insides dry and sealed against a wet exterior, but corks don't keep a seal that way.

Good point! I shall think of something different for my cache then. I already have the location sussed. Just need to get some swag and a creative container. ^^

Recently, I found a Mason Jar cache that had been out two years. Top is starting to rust.

In 2004, I found a cache with Mason Jars. It had been out a year. One was leaking. Shortly thereafter, they broke, and had to be replaced. I hope the CO cleaned up the broken glass. Water inside and a winter freeze is not good for glass containers.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

Plastic leaks bad things into the environment.

I just saw an article about a plastic container that had previously been used for food.

A black bear found it and got it's head stick in it. There were several reports of the "bucket head bear" with the first coming 3 weeks before it was state wildlife officers found it and the plastic bucket was removed. According to the article: “The ‘bucket’ turned out to be a clear container used to hold bulk pretzels or cheese puffs,” the DEC said.

‘Bucket Head’ Bear Saved After Walking Around With Jug On Its Head For Weeks

Recently, I found a Mason Jar cache that had been out two years. Top is starting to rust.

In 2004, I found a cache with Mason Jars. It had been out a year. One was leaking. Shortly thereafter, they broke, and had to be replaced. I hope the CO cleaned up the broken glass. Water inside and a winter freeze is not good for glass containers.

ummm.. yeah. Just like all those shattered plastic caches that COs always run right out and clean up.