Crowdsourcing Digital Maps Using Citizen Geologists

GeoawareGSA1

Hey EarthCachers,

What do you think of the concept of "Crowdsourcing Digital Maps Using Citizen Geologists"?

There is a nice article about this very idea in the recent edition of Eos, a publication of the American Geophysical Union (an organization similar to GSA, the Geological Society of America).

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2014EO440001/pdf

--Matt, GeoawareHQ

Im not sure just what to make of this approach? Please keep in mind I retired from a job dealing w/environmental science and compliance.

On one hand I can see an excellent opportunity for college undergraduate students as possible internships. So with some organization w/the universities this could be accomplished.

On the other hand someone may be creating a situation similar the proverbial jamming a stick into a hornets nest. Many states in the US have a geological licensing requirements. It is unlawful to practice geology w/out a license. It would not take much of an imagination to perceive this as a conflict w/someone practicing geology w/out a license. And Im sure the RPGs [Registered Professional Geologists] may take offence to this idea.

As for the use of GIS, I know there were discussions over a decade ago, which concerned the licensing of GIS Professionals. So this too may also be a potential issue w/the states and professionals.

There may also be Quality Control issues as well.

Perhaps these issued should be ironed out prior to implementation?

Edited by GEO WALKER