Problems downloading geocaches onto my new Magellan explorist GC

deeboz

I just received a new Magellan eXplorist GC as a gift. I've been geocaching for about 6 months now so I'm familiar with how everything works and I also consider myself "good" with technology.

However, I am having issues downloading geocaches onto my gps. I search the caches I want to download, I ensure the gps is connected properly (it says connected to pc), I click "send to gps", and the message states it has downloaded successfully. I try this with multiple caches, all showing successful download messages. I then open the magellan device on the desktop (I have a mac), open the "Geocaches" folder, and all the caches appear there as they are supposed to, as .gpx files.

I eject the gps properly, unplug the device, and when it boots up and loads, only ONE of the geocaches appears, the first one I click to "send to gps". All the others are gone. I've checked all the settings over and over.

The software is up to date on everything, (mac and magellan), I've called the Magellan tech support and they are absolutely useless. I was on the phone with them for nearly 2 hours.

Any advice is welcome, please help! I just want to use my new gps :(

A related problem: When downloading the results of a Pocket Query to the Explorist GC, any caches that you have found previously will not show up as found on the device. See here the response I got from Magellan:

"The unit does not automatically recognize the geocache files that are found (even if the pocket query shows they are found), you have to manually mark them as found again".

Very disappointing.

I'm trying to just drag and drop the GPX files but they're not showing up. I'd like to be able to control which caches I put on my device. I'm having the worst luck too with my Mac. I've gone through these posts and I just can figure out why its not working. I really wanted to go out caching today but it looks like I may spend my day trying to figure out this device. If I can drag and drop one, why won't they all go? And why can't I just hit the "send to gps" button and have them there? So much for making it easy!

A related problem: When downloading the results of a Pocket Query to the Explorist GC, any caches that you have found previously will not show up as found on the device. See here the response I got from Magellan:

"The unit does not automatically recognize the geocache files that are found (even if the pocket query shows they are found), you have to manually mark them as found again".

Very disappointing.

They know this is a big problem. I suspect this is fixed in a future update.

It really does effect what I put on my device and how I use it.

Shaun

hey all i just bought a magellan exploits gc, and i can't get it to download any of the geocashes.

i plug it in then i search the geocash i want and then i click send to my gps and a little window appears and says download for mac use. and i do and then i send it again and it docent who up on my gps. it docent load on the computer also

please help .

I am using an Explorist GC and I just download the zip file, open it and drop the 2 PQ files into the gpx folder. I also use it with gsak. It will keep track of your finds if you mark them as you find them and you don't delete the files from the gpx folder. If you are going to clear out the gpx folder, make sure you do not select caches you found or own when making a PQ.

I got a GC this week and run a Mac. Previously I've just been using my iPhone with the Geocaching.com app which has been wonderful, I wanted the GC for additional coverage, but for ease of use the app is fantastic.

I ran my first ever pocket query, which saved as a folder named '9921228'. Unzipped it into two files, one with the extension -wpts.gpx (waypoints) and the other just .gpx. I dragged these into the corresponding folders on the GC.

Worked really well, I now have 1000 caches loaded close to home.

No pictures came across however, which I understand is par for the course with the .gpx files. Any ideas how to transfer pictures to the GC using an Apple Mac??

Cheers!

I got a GC this week and run a Mac. Previously I've just been using my iPhone with the Geocaching.com app which has been wonderful, I wanted the GC for additional coverage, but for ease of use the app is fantastic.

I ran my first ever pocket query, which saved as a folder named '9921228'. Unzipped it into two files, one with the extension -wpts.gpx (waypoints) and the other just .gpx. I dragged these into the corresponding folders on the GC.

Worked really well, I now have 1000 caches loaded close to home.

No pictures came across however, which I understand is par for the course with the .gpx files. Any ideas how to transfer pictures to the GC using an Apple Mac??

Cheers!

Unfortunetly the only way to transfer the pictures to the unit at this time is via Magellan's Vantage Point(VP) software or GSAK, neither of which will run on your MAC. However, Magellan is working to correct this, but it will be some time before the fix is released. The other option is to run either the VP or GSAK software on your MAC with a PC emulator, which many people are doing.

Also, you would like to learn more about using your GC or getting the software to run with your MAC I would like to invite you to join us at http://www.Magellaninsiders.com, which is a free open forum where you can easily get the answers to any questions you might have concerning your GC.

David

Magellan Insider

Edited by Socal ZukiCachers

I just got a Magellan explorist gc. Have run all updates to gps and pc. Pull up a cache to download. Click download and window pops up to choose gps: DeLorme, Magellan, etc. I click Magellan and nothing happens. I have tried restarting the computer. Nothing.

After writing that, my muggle friend helped me figure out my problem. He had me use google Chrome instead of Internet Explorer and it worked.

Edited by subydo

I'm suddenly having similar issues, if anyone's had similar... I've downloaded my pocket query, dragged the zip onto the Magellan, which has appeared fine in the Geocaches folder, but the caches are not appearing when I try and find them on the thing itself afterwards. I downloaded as I always have, took it exploring, and discovered there were no caches nearby cos they weren't registering - very annoying! Any ideas?