Garmin Oregon 650 Setup

Is there a procedure for the Oregon 650 to just input a set of coordinates and then navigate to it with the compass? I have talked to Garmin and REI and nobody seems to know how to just do a simple navigate to coordinates. I have just completed a couple of series of caches that require finding a number of caches and collecting a part of the final cache coordinates from each one. Does it require changing profile from geocaching to something else? I have tries creating waypoints and navigating to them, but each time I try to switch to the compass, it picks up the last geocache numbers. Any ideas?

It's not the Compass itself switching to the very next Geocache. It's the Dashboard on top of the compasses page. When on the Compass page: hit the hamburger button > change the dashboard from "Geocaching" to "Small Data Fields" or "Large Data Field". Set the boxes to your needs and then lock the data fields.

Hans

Edited by HHL

Is there a procedure for the Oregon 650 to just input a set of coordinates and then navigate to it with the compass? I have talked to Garmin and REI and nobody seems to know how to just do a simple navigate to coordinates. I have just completed a couple of series of caches that require finding a number of caches and collecting a part of the final cache coordinates from each one. Does it require changing profile from geocaching to something else? I have tries creating waypoints and navigating to them, but each time I try to switch to the compass, it picks up the last geocache numbers. Any ideas?

If you're using the Geocaching Profile, the Geocaching Dashboard is in view by default. As mentioned, it is not the same thing as the "Compass" screen. The Geocaching Dashboard points to the nearest Geocache, or to the Geocache you're navigating to. This occurs even if you're navigating to a waypoint. The Geocaching dashboard directs you to a Geocache.

Here are a couple of screens as examples.

This shows the Geocaching Dashboard at the top of the screen. It always points to a Geocache:

689c53e7-ce05-492b-a6dc-efdeffaf54ee.jpg

This is the Compass screen. If you're navigating to any waypoint or cache, it directs you there:

adee51ba-c82b-40ee-8d8c-aefbb46854cd.jpg

That Compass screen also shows the Small Fields Dashboard. I have the Geocaching Dashboard set up on the Main Menu, and the Small Fields Dashboard on the Compass and Map screens, with handy fields custom set for each.

You don't have to switch to another Profile, but remember that changes to a Profile are saved when changed. You could make the Geocaching Profile completely unsuitable for Geocaching if you like. You could add the Geocaching Dashboard to other Profiles, or set them up to be useful for Geocaching. I have two such profiles, Gecoaching and CachingCar, each with settings ideal for their use.

You can also copy & paste Profiles. These are in the Profiles folder. You should back up the whole file structure of your Garmin 650, while you're at it. Save the Profiles again when you have them set as you want. If there's a problem later, you can get the old files back.

Edited by kunarion

It seems like you want to input and then navigate to a ... waypoint...?

Yes?? Find the waypoint icon and save the current waypoint. Then edit the waypoint to the Lat/Long specifications for that waypoint, generally using the save/edit or the Waypoint manager. Change the Location (Lat/long) to what you want, then Save.

I got this from the 650 user manual on pages 2 and 3.

This is essentially the same as the oregon 450 and 550.

Cache Happy

Is there a procedure for the Oregon 650 to just input a set of coordinates and then navigate to it with the compass? I have talked to Garmin and REI and nobody seems to know how to just do a simple navigate to coordinates.

Select Where To? > Coordinates > and enter the desired coordinates.

I have just completed a couple of series of caches that require finding a number of caches and collecting a part of the final cache coordinates from each one. Does it require changing profile from geocaching to something else?

Each Profile is just a saved set of user specific options that make it easier to recall your favorites settings quickly. Every function is still available from any given profile, but may be configured differently between profiles. I suggest creating your own profiles that run just the way you like them!

I have tries creating waypoints and navigating to them, but each time I try to switch to the compass, it picks up the last geocache numbers. Any ideas?

As other have stated, I suspect you are referring to the compass in the Geocaching Dashboard, which behaves differently than the Compass application.

I like to configure the Compass application with a single large Data Field set to Distance to Destination when I am geocaching.

The Garmin user manual is a good start, but you may find the Oregon 6x0 wiki a lot more useful!

Edited by Atlas Cached