Scenting victory

elfre

I read a log saying the area around a cache smelled strongly of hyacinths, and yesterday I found two caches with extremely pleasant scents: one near a woodland path covered with damp evergreen chippings, and the other residing in a cloud of freshly grilled bacon from a cafe kitchen ventilator (yes, I know not everyone would appreciate this :P ). So I'm curious to know the best scented final cache zone you've been lucky enough to encounter?

And, yes, most of us have found caches in places that smell dreadful, and occasionally caches that smell dreadful :lol: , and I regularly see people posting about these so I'd prefer it if this thread didn't drift in that direction. :rolleyes:

Well, one cache I found was very close to a lavender farm, so that was nice. I suppose during most of the year, the lavender is not in bloom, so most other finders are not treated with such a lovely smell. Another cache was behind a coffee shop. The smell of fresh brewed coffee was ok, if you are the type who really loves coffee. I don't; but it wasn't bad. A third cache that ended in a DNF was hidden near some wild rose bushes. Even though I didn't get the smilie, I enjoyed the smell!

We usually make note on cache pages when honeysuckle, rhododendron, wild rose, or other pleasant scents permeate the area on the way to, or near GZ.

I prefer balsam, white, or scotch pine trails myself, which are especially noticeable after a rain.

We write actual logs often enough that no one cache springs to mind. :)

Rosemary. Everyone in their right minds cusses about the search when they have to search rosemary, and many people cuss the smell when they have to search rosemary, but I love the smell, particularly having it on my hands for the rest of the trip. The smell easily makes up for what's almost always a nasty search.

I've done a dumpster cache or two.

Does that count?

It counts if that's a smell you enjoy! :lol: Each to their own - you can handle the dumpster diving while the rest of us go and molest flora. :P

I had a cache that was across the road from a horse farm. There's a small number of horses there but there's a very large, and to me, scenic pasture where the horses frequently gallop, prance, and do whatever horses do. From the GZ, there is a long distance scenic view that is one of the most accessible and best views of a sunset one can find in the area. Even when it's not around sunset, the view is quite nice. The cache is somewhat uniquely hidden but it was an easy find. It was in the only tree in a fairly large field. Several of the logs didn't mention the view, the container or the horse pasture and only complained of the smell coming from the horse paddock. While it's true that when the wind is blowing in the wrong direction the area around GZ can get pungent, but the way I see it is that geocaching is a game that is played outdoors and there are a variety of smells in the outdoors. It's not all roses and strawberries.

On of my recent finds was at a hot springs in a lava field in Iceland. The smell of sulfur was in the air and while some might find that smell objectionable, it was a cache at a hot springs in a lava field in Iceland so it got a favorite point from me.

I think the most pleasant smell area around GZ of a cache that I've found was one that was in a temple flower garden in Japan when cherry blossoms were blooming.

the way I see it is that geocaching is a game that is played outdoors and there are a variety of smells in the outdoors. It's not all roses and strawberries.

I hear you.

When I got a convertible, I remember being surprised that the smell of pig manure on the fields didn't bother me at all, not like when driving the fully-enclosed practical car that's also in the garage. In a closed car you expect isolation; in an open one I guess you expect to be part of it all.

And I imagine caching is like that too.

Several of the logs didn't mention the view, the container or the horse pasture and only complained of the smell coming from the horse paddock. While it's true that when the wind is blowing in the wrong direction the area around GZ can get pungent, but the way I see it is that geocaching is a game that is played outdoors and there are a variety of smells in the outdoors. It's not all roses and strawberries.

I grew up on a farm with horses so I find almost all the smells around mostly grass-fed equines are associated with happy memories. Wild roses are evil though - worse than ivy, hawthorn, nettles, and brambles combined. The only cache I've ever dnfed more than once is in the middle of a wild rose thicket! :lol:

How about the smell of bakeries late at night. MMMmmmmm yum.

Now that would be worth a car park by torchlight. :lol:

Today I crawled through wild garlic on the banks of a stream for a cache. The springtime shoots are still fresh and at the stage when they smell sweet rather than pungent. B)