Mission 9 APE cache to be returned/reactivated

Just moments ago, Geocaching HQ annnounced via the Geocaching Blog and our social channels that the community has voted to return and reactivate the Mission 9: Tunnel of Light APE cache.

We will reactivate the APE cache on August 19, 2017, the date of the Going Ape 2017 Mega-Event at Washington’s Iron Horse State Park.

Here are the result of more than 10,000 votes:

61% — Return and Reactivate

17% — Activate Once A Year

13% — Display at Geocaching HQ

9% — Traveling Artifact

Many cachers argued passionately on all sides of this issue, including here in the forums. In the end, the consensus from the community was clear.

We understand people around the world are eager for more information. In the coming weeks, Geocaching HQ will work closely with the Washington State Geocaching Association (organizer of the Going Ape Mega-Event) and we will update the community as additional details are worked out.

Only reason I voted to safeguard it at HQ was to make sure the cache maggot who tried to kill it off twice previously would not have a chance to succeed. We found it a year before its last vanishing act, so I guess it's moot for us.

I hope it lasts a long time.

Only reason I voted to safeguard it at HQ was to make sure the cache maggot who tried to kill it off twice previously would not have a chance to succeed.

I always figured that the "return it to its original location" option implicitly included taking steps to prevent theft, such as some kind of tether. I doubt that "return it to its original location as-is and hope nothing happens to it" would ever have been considered a valid option by those in charge of its fate.

Yeah that was the only concern with voting to completely reinstate the cache - the reoccurrence of its disappearance. Thus I voted for the activate during the Mega once a year option. If it wasn't a concern, I'd have also voted full reinstating.

Unfortunately, no matter how well it's secured, if some jerk is determined to remove it, then they'll probably find a way to do so. Ultimately, we felt that if someone muggles it again, we’re no worse off than we were before it was rediscovered. At least people will have gotten some enjoyment out of finding it again.

We'll be having discussions with the land manager (Washington State Parks) to see if there's a way to secure the cache that's acceptable to them. A lot of methods come to mind, but they may not all be compliant with park management's wishes. We'll see.

Meh...

Sounds like a business decision to sell new A.P.E trackables.

That's one of the funnier theories I've heard yet. Thanks for sharing!

I think this runs far deeper than 61% of the community voting for a means by which Groundspeak can make more money selling A.P.E. trackables.

Yet again, the sharp eye uncovers the vast conspiracy concocted deep within Geocaching HQ as part of their subversive plan to promote religion masquerading as science.

My only concern with the reinstatement is that 3,080 people found the original while 2,943 found the tribute - and happy to do so. The experience of the 2,943 is ALMOST identical to the experience of the 3,080. Yet these people must return and duplicate their effort in order to claim the icon.

My only concern with the reinstatement is that 3,080 people found the original while 2,943 found the tribute - and happy to do so. The experience of the 2,943 is ALMOST identical to the experience of the 3,080. Yet these people must return and duplicate their effort in order to claim the icon.

If almost as many people did a "tribute" to a cache not there for the "experience", guess I'm a little (but just a little) curious how that's a concern now.

If that "experience" has now somehow degraded to simply getting an icon for stats, well, I'd think those same people now know what they have to do to get that too. :)

Personally, I am glad that I had to go to Brazil to get the ape Cache. It truly was an experience if a lifetime. I will eventually make it back to Seattle area to claim this one as well but don't plan on doing it with 500 other people standing in line for it. It's much more enjoyable for me to find it without the crowds.

If almost as many people did a "tribute" to a cache not there for the "experience", guess I'm a little (but just a little) curious how that's a concern now.

If that "experience" has now somehow degraded to simply getting an icon for stats, well, I'd think those same people now know what they have to do to get that too. :)

There is no requirement to go get the cache. No one is forcing anyone. If you are one of the 2943 that found the tribute there is no damage done to your find count with the original coming back, just like there is no damage to the 3080 that the cache is returned. In the end, make a trip if it interests you.

• Upvote 1

Meh...

Sounds like a business decision to sell new A.P.E trackables.

That's one of the funnier theories I've heard yet. Thanks for sharing!

I think this runs far deeper than 61% of the community voting for a means by which Groundspeak can make more money selling A.P.E. trackables.

Yet again, the sharp eye uncovers the vast conspiracy concocted deep within Geocaching HQ as part of their subversive plan to promote religion masquerading as science.

I actually talked to Bryan about reactivating it and he said that he wanted to do whatever the community wanted done with it. He really valued the input of the vote and feels that what is best for the game is to listen to the people who play the game. If someone knows something different, please correct me.

As I mentioned in the discussion thread about whether this should go live, I talked to my wife the SECOND the newsletter came. I bugged her all day, and I'll be heading west to make it to the Event to avenge my sort of "DNF" from a few years back! Now all I have to do is decide if I'm flying or driving from Ohio, and who is coming with me!

(I'm also wondering how early in the morning I'll have to show up to be near the front of the line!)

And that right there is why this APE cache was voted back.

Don't you mean that those 2,943 people get to return and duplicate their effort?

• Upvote 1

Don't you mean that those 2,943 people get to return and duplicate their effort?

Yeah, I didn't realize that geocaching was a chore, either.

I remember enjoying the hike to the A.P.E. cache, and we didn't even do the tunnel. I'd do it again, even though I already have the A.P.E. icon (and souvenir) for Mission 9.

I went to the last APE event and found the tribute. Should I have waited for this year to get the icon too? I could have. But yep, now I get to do it again (like I was already considering anyway), because it's a great event, great hike, and it'll be neat to see the actual container instead of the replacement, and this time the bonus is the icon.

Dunno if it'll be this year though. Part of me really wants to just in case it doesn't make it to next year laughing.gif

I went to the last APE event and found the tribute. Should I have waited for this year to get the icon too? I could have. But yep, now I get to do it again (like I was already considering anyway), because it's a great event, great hike, and it'll be neat to see the actual container instead of the replacement, and this time the bonus is the icon.

Dunno if it'll be this year though. Part of me really wants to just in case it doesn't make it to next year laughing.gif

I did it the other way around. I did the actual A.P.E. at the first Going Ape event, the following year the tunnel was open so I trekked through it and did the tribute. Now that the cache has been predacted (un-redacted fer youse inglish perffessers out there) I might do it again for the heck of it. Any excuse to wander around for a while in a rubber ape mask.

29750853-4495-4784-9e9b-bf1593829546_l.jpg

89cffd43-6f05-4753-987c-c6dd8460ac76_l.jpg

55c439b1-bb11-4ad9-8d52-694c97a2863f_l.jpg

Oook, oook eek ook oook eek oook. [Yes, I am a party animal.]

• Upvote 1

Piling on... I've been through the Snoqualmie Tunnel four times -- once in 2007 to find the original APE cache, and then in 2013, 2014 and 2015 to attend the "Going APE" Mega Event. I will gladly make the trip again because the scenery, the company and the experience can't be beat. The icons, souvenirs, etc. are just a bonus. That said: if the event goes Giga, I will most definitely be there. Giga Event is the only cache type I'm missing to have a complete set of 20 cache type icons. I doubt it will happen, though. That means someday I will "have" to travel to Europe for the first time, in order to score that last icon. Yay!

You can all mock the use of the phrase "must return" all you like, but the fact remains, if it's just about the experience of visiting that location then you didn't need the APE cache to be reactivated - the experience was there anyway. In fact, most of you seem to be reinforcing that very point because you've been there multiple times.

The reason this APE cache is being reactivated is because people want the icon for their stats, and they consider this location relatively easy to get to (and it is).

Y

The reason this APE cache is being reactivated is because people want the icon for their stats

i voted for reactivation because it seemed like the only reasonable choice. Whether or not I'll ever get out there and find it did not enter into the decision.

Likewise. I've already found both the original and the tribute, so I didn't have a personal stake in the outcome of the vote. I voted for it to return to the original location because that's where it should be.

You can all mock the use of the phrase "must return" all you like, but the fact remains, if it's just about the experience of visiting that location then you didn't need the APE cache to be reactivated - the experience was there anyway. In fact, most of you seem to be reinforcing that very point because you've been there multiple times.

The reason this APE cache is being reactivated is because people want the icon for their stats, and they consider this location relatively easy to get to (and it is).

I voted to reactivate because it seemed important to other geocachers. It's not in a place I'll ever be able to visit and I am not particularly interested in stats, grids, icons, etc. The story of them finding it seemed cool, and people are excited about it. I see no reason to be so harsh and cruel to other geocachers for voting for this.

Edited by narcissa

I see no reason to be so harsh and cruel to other geocachers for voting for this.

I don't see anything anyone has said here as being harsh or cruel - there is no need to be emotive and dramatic about it.

It's just the truth - if it wasn't for the special icon, and the relative ease of getting to this location, the cache would be gone for good.

Edited by funkymunkyzone

You're limiting to two presumptuous reasons:

A] It's about the experience, therefore any cache should do, why reactivate with the icon?

B] it's about the icon, therefore that's the only reason people want it and really don't care about the experience.

It is pretty harsh by implying people made the wrong choice [A] or people are superficial and/or lying

Why can it not be both A and B?

And that's not even counting those who voted their way while having no personal stake in the matter (who you simply dismiss as an unimportant minority).

Just let the vote be the vote without projecting your (seeming) animonsity for the result on to those who voted that way.

The majority want it reenabled, for whatever reason, it doesn't matter at all.

Edited by thebruce0

I see no reason to be so harsh and cruel to other geocachers for voting for this.

I don't see anything anyone has said here as being harsh or cruel - there is no need to be emotive and dramatic about it.

It's just the truth - if it wasn't for the special icon, and the relative ease of getting to this location, the cache would be gone for good.

If you're not saying this out of spite and negativity, please clarify what your larger point is.

I will never be able to visit this cache and the icon isn't important to me. Seeing people excited and happy about something in the game was the reason for my vote.

Edited by narcissa

There's probably an ok amount of people who have found both the Ape cache and the tribute. I'm one of those people.

I voted to have it put back for two reasons: I'm a sucker for re-activating archived caches if the circumstances are ideal, and there are people out there who I know are very personally invested in the replacement of this cache and are very happy to have my yes vote.

If it brings more people out to Washington (or who are already Washingtonians) who are happy to do the cache for whatever reason: travel, experience, people, icon, location, whatever - I'm all for it. Happiness prevails. :rolleyes:B)

If you're not saying this out of spite and negativity, please clarify what your larger point is.

Maybe just an expression of opinion which by the way I share and even more so when it comes to Groundspeak investing the time and effort to create the poll and then to reinstall the cache.

I'm quite sure that they would not have done so if it were not a special icon cache but just a normal old cache at this location.

BTW: I did not vote at all.

Maybe just an expression of opinion which by the way I share and even more so when it comes to Groundspeak investing the time and effort to create the poll and then to reinstall the cache.

I'm quite sure that they would not have done so if it were not a special icon cache but just a normal old cache at this location.

Again, what is the larger significance of this point? It seems rather obvious that interest in reviving a long-lost guardrail micro is going to be less than interest in reviving an Ape cache.

I am trying to have faith that forum users have something more substantial behind their comments than "the sky is blue" obvious observations. If the point of your observation isn't derisive, what is it?

Edited by narcissa

Again, what is the larger significance of this point? It seems rather obvious that interest in reviving a long-lost guardrail micro is going to be less than interest in reviving an Ape cache.

I am trying to have faith that forum users have something more substantial behind their comments than "the sky is blue" obvious observations. If the point of your observation isn't derisive, what is it?

My post above was my first in the thread. I just offered you a likely interpretation that does not involve being harsh, derisive etc.

Let's not mix apples and oranges. Of course a guard rail micro will not attract the same attention than a cache at a more interesting location. Note I wrote a normal old cache at this location - so except the ape cache type everything else stayed the same. I'm sure that what's of the key importance here is that the cache has its own very rare icon - without the icon they would not have created the poll and also the interest would have been much lower. This is not the same as saying that everyone who visits the cache visits it for the icon or only for the icon.

What you call obvious is by the way something I had to learn painfully over time. Many years ago I could not have imagined e.g. someone saying that they eventually would end up to go for their first trip to Europe in order to get the Giga event icon. I just would not have believed it and would have thought someone was pulling my leg (forget for the moment that giga events were unthinkable back then and just think of a different icon which could be the only missing one). Note that I try to do my best not to use any terms of judgement (good, bad etc).

Edited by cezanne

If it brings more people out to Washington...

But unfortunately, will bring much less people to Brazil. :(

Oh, I don't know about that. I've found both the original and tribute and I still want to go to Brazil for a second APE cache!

+1 Yeah, I sorta agree (though I never found either).

Quite a few here have expressed little desire to head to Washington (in chat at events), but would like to pool together to hit Brazil.

It was split though on the reason, with some only for that icon, others for the experience of it's location.

That might change a bit now that there's an APE cache so much closer (with the icon group).

But I know I'd personally rather venture the wilds in a different country (the experience group). :)

That might change a bit now...

While both APE Caches were available between 2001 and 2011, the one in Washington collected 3080 Found It's and the Brazilian 23 (9 americans including JoGPS).

When I went there for the first time in 2012, the Found It's already triplicated in a single year (78).

During the next four years the increase was by more than 2170%.

Since the one in Washington was Archived the Brazilian reached 501 (north Americans being the majority).

Based on this figures I guess that the situation will return to what it was in the first years, as soon we have two APE Caches available again.

I want the icon.

I'm a little jealous of some of the old timers who have the locationless icon. I'll never have another chance at it. I'm glad I got the 10th anniversary icon - that's one of my badges of being around at the right time.

I would LOVE to go to get the Brazil APE cache. I have to get a passport, I have to get a plane ticket, and I have to make plans to get to Brazil. And I have to figure out how to communicate with the right people and work in a culture I'm not accustomed to. I'd LOVE to do that... and I've tried. But I haven't been able to make it happen.

Now I can go to Washington and I can visit my brother and I can stop and get the original stash while I'm in the area. AND the experience will be incredible (I was only a mile-ish from it last time I visited). And there will be awesome people to meet! LOTS of them!

I would eventually have gone to get the tribute at some point anyway, but now I have a reason to go THIS year.

And it has to do with the icon. And I don't care if you think it's dumb. I'm SOOO pumped!!!

If it brings more people out to Washington...

Oh, I don't know about that. I've found both the original and tribute and I still want to go to Brazil for a second APE cache!

I haven't any the original, the tribute (or attended the Going Ape) even, nor have I found the one in Brazil. Given the opportunity, I'd go to Brazil rather than Washington.

On the one hand, I don't think you can shrug off the claim that visits to the Brazilian APE Cache will go down. As conjectures go, that strikes me as a relatively sure bet. I find it an interesting observation, although nothing about it suggests a problem or an alternative course of action.

Based on this figures I guess that the situation will return to what it was in the first years, as soon we have two APE Caches available again.

I think there's a lot of truth to what you say, but, on the other hand, I think global geocaching has grown a lot since then, so I'd expect the Brazilian APE cache to remain popular even though it won't be quite as popular.

I want the icon.

I'm a little jealous of some of the old timers who have the locationless icon. I'll never have another chance at it. I'm glad I got the 10th anniversary icon - that's one of my badges of being around at the right time.

I would LOVE to go to get the Brazil APE cache. I have to get a passport, I have to get a plane ticket, and I have to make plans to get to Brazil. And I have to figure out how to communicate with the right people and work in a culture I'm not accustomed to. I'd LOVE to do that... and I've tried. But I haven't been able to make it happen.

Now I can go to Washington and I can visit my brother and I can stop and get the original stash while I'm in the area. AND the experience will be incredible (I was only a mile-ish from it last time I visited). And there will be awesome people to meet! LOTS of them!

I would eventually have gone to get the tribute at some point anyway, but now I have a reason to go THIS year.

And it has to do with the icon. And I don't care if you think it's dumb. I'm SOOO pumped!!!

There's nothing wrong with wanting the icon. I really don't understand the negativity some people have. Geocaching is supposed to be fun and it's nice to see people excited about this good news story.