Moving out of state - how to maintain caches

I'm going to be moving to a new state in the near future and I'd like to keep a few of my caches that I've set up in this area up and running, if possible. I'm wondering how others who have been in this situation have dealt with cache maintenance? Does someone take over the cache for you? Would it just be best to archive all of them so someone else can place caches instead? Any tips would be appreciated!

I think you have listed your options well.... if you can't personally maintain caches in a reasonable time frame, you should adopt them out, or archive them. If they are hiking caches that get a couple of finds per year, and you plan on visiting or returning one day, you could keep them going under your account....

Does someone take over the cache for you? Would it just be best to archive all of them so someone else can place caches instead?

I move every couple of years thanks to the Army, so this is something I have faced six times since I started caching (and will have to face again next summer). I've done both of the above. More often the latter than the former, as I don't like feeling obligated to someone who is taking care of a cache I left behind.

There is a third option I've used in the past for caches that the local community really enjoyed, if your reviewer is on board and there is a local cacher who wants to take over your cache as a new listing.

- Find a local cacher who's interested in taking over your cache. Have them draft a cache description and give you the GC code.

- Let the reviewer know that (insert local cacher) is going to be taking over the cache and let them know the GC code for the replacement cache.

- Disable your cache and let (insert local cacher) know to change out the log books.

- Once fresh log books are in place, tell (insert local cacher) to enable their cache. Your reviewer can then archive your listing and publish the new one in the same spot.

I move every couple of years thanks to the Army, so this is something I have faced six times since I started caching (and will have to face again next summer).

So here's a point I like to argue every now and then. Some people mean different things when they say "next". If today is Tuesday and I said "I'll be back next Saturday," my intent is to refer to Saturday of the following, or next, week. I would say "this Saturday" or just "Saturday" if I meant four days from now.

So when you say "next summer"...do you mean THIS summer or summer of 2018?

Edited by J Grouchy

I hesitate to mention this since I'm sure to be shouted down, but if you have some stable caches that people seem to like, I don't think it would be a big deal to leave them in place. Naturally you shouldn't leave trash laying around, but it's not unheard of to leave a good cache in place until it goes missing, then archive it. If there's some other maintenance issue, you could archive it and ask someone still local to pick up the pieces. Or do it yourself next time you come back for a visit. (Note to J Grouchy: I mean the very next time. :) ) If someone will adopt them, it's even better, of course, but my feeling is that there's not much difference between a cache in another state and a cache way in the backwoods: either situation makes maintenance difficult. (But I wouldn't want to encourage it outside this kind of special case, so I fully support all the publication rules requiring a maintenance plan.)

There's actually an excellent example going on now in your neck of the woods: an ex-Bay Area CO with a lot of very popular puzzle caches left most of his caches in place because lots of people have solved the puzzles and will someday want to find the caches. So far, this hasn't caused any trouble since most of the puzzle solving community knows what's going on and helps out as needed. I would be very sad if they all suddenly disappeared.

There is a third option I've used in the past for caches that the local community really enjoyed, if your reviewer is on board and there is a local cacher who wants to take over your cache as a new listing.

- Find a local cacher who's interested in taking over your cache. Have them draft a cache description and give you the GC code.

- Let the reviewer know that (insert local cacher) is going to be taking over the cache and let them know the GC code for the replacement cache.

- Disable your cache and let (insert local cacher) know to change out the log books.

- Once fresh log books are in place, tell (insert local cacher) to enable their cache. Your reviewer can then archive your listing and publish the new one in the same spot.

What's the advantage of this over adoption? Once it's adopted, the new CO can put in whatever new container they want and change the page to look like what they want. Seems like the only reason to make a new listing would be if there was a significant change to the cache or if the new CO wanted to relocate it.

What's the advantage of this over adoption? Once it's adopted, the new CO can put in whatever new container they want and change the page to look like what they want. Seems like the only reason to make a new listing would be if there was a significant change to the cache or if the new CO wanted to relocate it.

BEcause then I retain the history of my archived cache?

I move every couple of years thanks to the Army, so this is something I have faced six times since I started caching (and will have to face again next summer).

So here's a point I like to argue every now and then. Some people mean different things when they say "next". If today is Tuesday and I said "I'll be back next Saturday," my intent is to refer to Saturday of the following, or next, week. I would say "this Saturday" or just "Saturday" if I meant four days from now.

In the context of hzoi's post, you get the eye-roll of the week award.

I hesitate to mention this since I'm sure to be shouted down, but if you have some stable caches that people seem to like, I don't think it would be a big deal to leave them in place. Naturally you shouldn't leave trash laying around, but it's not unheard of to leave a good cache in place until it goes missing, then archive it. If there's some other maintenance issue, you could archive it and ask someone still local to pick up the pieces. Or do it yourself next time you come back for a visit. (Note to J Grouchy: I mean the very next time. :) ) If someone will adopt them, it's even better, of course, but my feeling is that there's not much difference between a cache in another state and a cache way in the backwoods: either situation makes maintenance difficult. (But I wouldn't want to encourage it outside this kind of special case, so I fully support all the publication rules requiring a maintenance plan.)

There's actually an excellent example going on now in your neck of the woods: an ex-Bay Area CO with a lot of very popular puzzle caches left most of his caches in place because lots of people have solved the puzzles and will someday want to find the caches. So far, this hasn't caused any trouble since most of the puzzle solving community knows what's going on and helps out as needed. I would be very sad if they all suddenly disappeared.

Just my personal observations regarding your last paragraph, I'd have to say it has been a challenge for the cache owner you mentioned, even with somewhat frequent (for an out of Stater) visits. No doubt the very large circle of friends this person has, has helped a great deal, but I wouldn't call the situation ideal by any means.

Personally, I'd probably pull up stakes and Archive my Listings, but that's just me.

Personally, I'd probably pull up stakes and Archive my Listings, but that's just me.

Same here, there is nothing special about my listings worth holding up real estate. :)

For my location caches, I'd put them up for adoption. For my gadgets, I'd pull them and bring them to my new home. For everything else, cache heaven.

I mean Summer 2018. I count Summer 2017 as "this summer" (or "this coming summer") and Summer 2016 as "last summer."

Not as confusing as "Saturday" (translation: the Saturday coming up) versus "Saturday week" (the Saturday after the one coming up) versus "Next Saturday week" (two Saturdays after the one coming up), though. I thought I was in another country the first time I heard that.

I mean Summer 2018. I count Summer 2017 as "this summer" (or "this coming summer") and Summer 2016 as "last summer."

Not as confusing as "Saturday" (translation: the Saturday coming up) versus "Saturday week" (the Saturday after the one coming up) versus "Next Saturday week" (two Saturdays after the one coming up), though. I thought I was in another country the first time I heard that.

I've never heard the <day> + "week" combination used before. A week is all seven days, so using it in that context makes no sense and I completely reject its use in that manner. :laughing:

Edited by J Grouchy

To the world, none, other than anyone who had found the old cache has an opportunity to find it again if they want.

I did this with some of the first few caches I owned in Germany. I was pretty attached to them and didn't want to adopt them out, and they had gotten literally hundreds of finds and were popular. I guess I still wanted "credit" for hiding them? Also, the German cachers who took over the new listings had really enjoyed the caches and wanted to keep them going as a tribute rather than just seeing them get archived. So, we worked out the system above with the reviewer, who was a caching buddy of mine.

When we moved to Virginia the first time and then moved to Alabama, we didn't try this; we kept a couple caches active and locals took care of them. When we felt bad about them having to replace our caches too often, I archived the hides. But even then, they ended up getting renewed as sort of tribute hides. (See John Paul Jones's Locker and its replacement; or Billy Goats Gruff and its replacement (which, ironically, I DNF'd on a subsequent visit).

In subsequent moves, I've archived most of my hides before leaving; I only have two physical caches out of 50+ left in Montgomery and only one left in Oklahoma. I never did get around to hiding any physical caches in El Paso, and though we have some out here, I doubt I'll leave any behind in Hampton Roads when we move.

That's why I've tried to get more earthcaches out over the years, because as long as they're based on the geology itself and not an interpretive sign, the likelihood of our earthcaches needing owner maintenance in the next thousand years or so is low.

Edited by hzoi

That's why I've tried to get more earthcaches out over the years, because as long as they're based on the geology itself and not an interpretive sign, the likelihood of our earthcaches needing owner maintenance in the next thousand years or so is low.

I would quit placing caches entirely rather than inflict Homework-caches on everyone. :anitongue:

I would quit placing caches entirely rather than inflict Homework-caches on everyone. :anitongue:

Amen. I'm barley smart enough to find a lock-n-lock hidden in a tree stump with loose coordinates. :blink:

Meh. You've found ten over a three and a half year span. I could be wrong, but it's pretty unlikely someone could have held a gun to your head THAT long. I mean, they had to sleep sometime, right? Or were they working in shifts? :grin:

Amen. I'm barley smart enough to find a lock-n-lock hidden in a tree stump with loose coordinates. :blink:

Yes, I can see you're having a terrible time at the last one you logged. :laughing: