Geocaching for Android 3.0 Release Notes

nkroy

・ New Design – The feature at the top is the “Action Bar.” It makes many tasks easier. We’ve also upgraded to the newest version of Google Maps.

・ Searches – Search by GC code, location or trackable code through the Action Bar.

・ Toggles – Toggle between map view and list view and between compass mode and map mode.

・ Other Updates – Updated text, enhanced waypoint creation, additional Sign Out options, Bug fixes, and added Spanish, Finnish, and Slovak.

I just updated my app and took a quick look around and, so far anyway, I REALLY like what I see! Nice work! I'll have to try it out in the field soon and see how it does. But I like the new look and the new features. The only thing I've seen so far is that the August souvenirs don't show up on the souvenir display, but that is a VERY minor thing in my book.

Nice looking update. It seems to function well.

It still doesn't see the corrected coordinates for puzzles, though, even when loading them from a PQ. Several other API-using apps already do this (GSAK, Neongeo, Locus Pro...)

HELP! The previous version worked fine. Now in 3.0 when I click the Navigate To Geocache button I get the error message "The application Geocache (process.com.Groundspeak.geocaching) has unexpectedly stopped. Please try again." I've tried shutting off my phone, reinstalling the app, and re-updating Google Maps. The first time I tried running the new app I got a message saying I needed to install Google Play Services, which I did. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

HELP! The previous version worked fine. Now in 3.0 when I click the Navigate To Geocache button I get the error message "The application Geocache (process.com.Groundspeak.geocaching) has unexpectedly stopped. Please try again." I've tried shutting off my phone, reinstalling the app, and re-updating Google Maps. The first time I tried running the new app I got a message saying I needed to install Google Play Services, which I did. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

I have the exact same issue reinstalled twice took battery out of phone...

I just installed the new version on my Motorola Droid Razr HD, android version 4.1.2. When I use the navigate to a Geocache option and select compass, the pointer vibrates up to 45 degrees in either direction, the motion is very quick, many cycles per second. The previous version did this for a while but after selecting the motion based rather the magnetic option the pointer worked normally. I have been unable to locate this option on the new version, Please advise. Thanks

I used to be able to 'Navigate' to a cache by Radar but I can only now find 'map' or 'compass'. How do I replace the compass with Radar as before as it was far more useful? Also, when I save a gpx file to an external SD card and try and load it, the app just 'hangs' with 'Loading GPX File' and I have to 'end task', doesn't work at all. I have had one 'Force Close' already trying to navigate to cache by map. Forgive me, not impressed so far. Using Samsung Ace 2 & Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread.XXLK7 and have already rolled back to the previous stable version until this one works.

Updated automatically to the new app yesterday. The new look is fantastic. So I tried it out this morning (9 August 2013 at about 0830 NZ time) - I logged a find (GC4H8ED) using the app rather than waiting till I got home and logging the find via www.geocaching.com on the computer. The first thing I noticed is that there still doesn't appear an option to select the log date. I decided to log anyway (hoping that the app would at least log with the found date based on the local time rather than UTC (I presume) time. I then checked the Recent Activity using the app to view the log and it did display with the correct date (9 August 2013). Great. But when I got home and checked on the the website using my computer the log showed I found the cache on the 8 August 2013. Unfortunately this issue means I will use the app to navigate but will not use the app to log my finds.

(The app hasn't crashed for me at all as others have reported. I use a Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 4.2.2)

I did notice a couple of other issues:

1. It would be great to be able to search by cache name/title

2. When I tried to search by GC Code for GC4H8ED I got the message 'We couldn't find that location ...'.

The previous version worked just fine while the new version can't seem to accurately report my location. It's almost like there is some sort of gps signal lag, i'll walk a good 20 meters before the map or compass reports that I've moved.

Anybody having trouble posting a log on their phone? Updated the app on my phone now I have to try two or three times to post a found log. After entering a message on the log screen and hit "done" it takes me back to the "log type" page and my just typed in log is gone! Have to start over by selecting "post a log" and re-entering the message.

Anybody having trouble posting a log on their phone? Updated the app on my phone now I have to try two or three times to post a found log. After entering a message on the log screen and hit "done" it takes me back to the "log type" page and my just typed in log is gone! Have to start over by selecting "post a log" and re-entering the message.

When that happened to me it actually went through and made multiple log entries (happened yesterday just after the update)

I cannot navigate to geocache. Geocaching.com forces close :( Someone please help! I have removed battery and uninstalled an re-installed the app. NO LUCK :(

There isnt anything anyone can do until Groundspeak fixes this. They should have made the last version (2.5.2) available until they fixed this version but I guess that isnt going to happen. Look around online maybe you can find the last version online and use that until this app is corrected

Contrary to the haters, the previous version did not 'work fine' at all. It had serious problems keeping caches in their places on the map when moving it around.

The new version has the map upgrade and works great.

I never used radar or compass, i prefer the navigate via map.

I figured out the problem with the log disappearing! You can not rotate you phone once you start a log entry I.E. I like to rotate my phone to horizontal because it is easier for this old guy to type but doing that seems to delete the log entry when I rotate the phone back to vertical.

Also now when I try to send all the days logs it just shuts down the app on my phone. Took three trys to get it to work and it duplicated a few log entrys that I had to delete via the computer.

I have the same problem, Samsung Galaxy Mini

I just installed the new version on my Motorola Droid Razr HD, android version 4.1.2. When I use the navigate to a Geocache option and select compass, the pointer vibrates up to 45 degrees in either direction, the motion is very quick, many cycles per second. The previous version did this for a while but after selecting the motion based rather the magnetic option the pointer worked normally. I have been unable to locate this option on the new version, Please advise. Thanks

Having the same problem on my Droid Razr Max....only with the GC.com app..others (c:geo and cachesense) do not exhibit this problem